Testing the 147's in 6.5 x 284

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Left for the range with a large Yeti of coffee, tried the Hot Cors for the 3rd time in the 6.5 x 284 and this time with IMR 4831 and again it was shooting not the way I want, so I'm giving up on this Hot Cor 140 bullet and might give it a try in the 6.5 Creedmoor or sell it, lol. Still got a full box and a half if anyone is interested, just PM me. :D I had tried with my favorite H4831SC and the IMR 4831, oh well I guess my rifle don't like it.

I made this thread mainly for the 147 ELD testing, H4831SC, BR2 primer, virgin Lapua brass , 147 ELD-M, and .005" off the lands so here goes.
First target pic is 4 rounds with fouler, and followed with 3 shots. 2653, 2652, 2664 and 2646 fps. / 2666, 2654 and 2660 fps. Not a bad group on both charges of 48.8 grains and 49.3 grains.
2nd target pic is 3 shots followed by another 3 shots. 2700, 2720 and 2705 fps. / 2716, 2717, 2718 fps ( nice ES ) 50.1 and 50.5 grains.
It got pretty windy with some gusts. The last group first two rounds went in the same hole and a little gust blew the 3rd out of the group. The last two groups was nice with modest speed, but its pretty somewhat Creedmoor speed. H4831SC is a slow but very stable powder. I came across another forum where I found a PDF on the 147's for the Creedmoor and 6.5 x 284, it shows minimum speed / charge of 47.9 grains at 2600 fps and maximum charge of 52.9 grains at 2800 fps using H4831. There is more room for some more H4831SC I like to try later. Still have 19 pieces of virgin brass to fireform before I start tweaking the loads with fireformed brass. I'll whip up some more 3 round charges later using 50.9, 51.3, 51.7, 52.1, 52.5, 52.9 grains plus one fouler and that will have all my brass fireformed. I feel that 52.9 grains will be in the 2850 fps ballpark if pressure allows.
Recently when I got the new rifle, I tested with 143 ELD-X and it loves those bullets, but only have 1 box left to save. The 147's are more available online nowadays and I will either get a bulk of 500 to 1000 bullets and the 147's are stupid accurate and wicked as I tested them for the first time.
MPsA5e8l.jpg

QpJEVu5l.jpg

q4R68L6l.jpg

looks like they shoot very good .
usually new brass velocity is down some compared to fired brass , it's hard to say how much . the next cycle on this brass should show more velocity , with the same load .

Thanks Dr. Mike and Jim.
Jim, is it the other way around, fired brass would give more volume then virgin brass giving it less velocity if using the same load unless adding more powder to give more velocity? Or is my brain not at 100% because of morning lag? :D

from what I've seen virgin brass is slower . it takes energy to expand the virgin brass case , not all energy is being used for the bullet .

I use Norma brass in my one 7mm-08. virgin brass is 50 FPS slower than fired brass . this is my most extreme difference I have seen .

from what I've seen virgin brass is slower . it takes energy to expand the virgin brass case , not all energy is being used for the bullet .

I use Norma brass in my one 7mm-08. virgin brass is 50 FPS slower than fired brass . this is my most extreme difference I have seen .
I get your point, thanks for clarifying.

Man, those 147’s look horrible. Sheeesh!

Totally kidding. I believe you have a winner there!

I might need to try them in my 6.5 PRC as well. Just to see what they do in that rifle.

My dad and I shoot 147's in our Creedmoor's. I shoot 46grs of R-26 and my dad shoots 45.5. Both are in the 2825-2850fps range and both are crazy accurate. My dad shot a group in the zeros at 200yds and probably 7-8 in the zeros at 100yds. I have shot numerous groups in the low .1's with mine. The funny thing is my dads gun is a cheap Wilson barrel and mine is a Brux. His gun is one of the most accurate rifle I've ever built and it's in a factory plastic Remington stock. Dad has killed a bunch of elk with his too. My 10yo kid killed a bull this year with R-26 and 147's in a 6.5x47L.

H4831 has always been a accuracy powder in the 6.5-284 but the slower powders are way faster. I bet R-26 would push the 147's near 3000fps, if not over that.

That’s almost the same load I used in my Tikka and it ran 2775 from the 24” barrel. It was a great shooting load and like you mentioned, was pretty fierce on animals.

Not quite the shooting Nathan did with his but I was happy with it being it was a plain 6x on it.

That's some excellent loads, Scott. I should imagine it will work very well on the game you hunt.

We both use Peterson's brass and it's a bit slower with the same load in Hornady brass. Hornady brass holds a bit more so it's slower with the same loads. I think the best loads in Hornady brass were closer to 47grs. We had the same problem many are experiencing with clickers in the 6.5PRC. The sizing dies don't size the base of the brass small enough to give it room to expand and spring back when fired. Obviously hotter loads amplify this problem and those loads are hot but maintain tight primer pockets and dont have ejector marks.

Back