Lever Action Rifles

I usually pull out a lever action when I get drawn for antlerless mule deer. I love shooting these guns and they are likely the guns I shoot the most for fun, albeit they are very capable for putting meat in the freezer; Although the 45-70 does cut a quite a swath through a deer with a factory 300 JHP or a handloaded 400gr SPEER SPFN.
I have a Marlin 336 JM stamped 30-30 WIN
A Remlin 1895 CB 45-70.......Pic taken from the net
A Winchester (Miroku) 1886 45-70 that I let get away.........Idiot
And an Original Winchester 1892 44WCF (44-40) , that was my grandmothers gun. Made in 1896 IIRC
That's a cool old Winchester there! Looks like it is still in good condition. Do you ever shoot it?

That's a cool old Winchester there! Looks like it is still in good condition. Do you ever shoot it?
Yes it is in great shape according to the gunsmith that I had check it out. I shoot it occasionally in the summer with the old Dominion ammo, but unfortunately i only have 3 or 4 rounds of it left. I have bought a new box of Winchester ammo, but I need to pull the bullets so I have the brass or get my buddy to fire them in his Henry and give me back the brass so I can build some loads with less pressure than the new stuff has. It's a lot of fun to shoot; Unfortunately i can't shoot it as good as Lucas McCain (The Rifleman)

Got this nice marlin about a year ago. 1964 Texan 336 in 35 Remington. Always wanted to have a 35. Should have looked at ammo price and availability first but have since found some.

Also finally found an all steel Lyman 66 took quite awhile.
18E3EA0B-4C15-44E0-A68E-01DAAF103506.jpeg
47ED38B7-F19D-44C9-8C21-6057B0559829.jpeg

Do I count the wife's rifles? Between us, 2 357 lever guns, one in 44, and one in 45-70. No joke, one of those 357s is the house gun and I do NOT feel under-gunned. Ever.

I'm a huge fan of lever rifles, regardless of caliber; they work and you can find one to fill nearly any requirement (nearly). I want one in 35 Remington, and one in 38-55 (or 375 Win), and lust after the idea of one in 480 Ruger. Would love to have a takedown like Scrum; but don't think I've got the cash for it.

I love lever action rifles and they are all I plan to hunt with this coming fall.

Savage 99F in 300 Savage

4.jpg

These days my lever actions are my " fun guns". Sometimes I'll cast up a few bullets (Lyman #311291 although my antique mold is marked #308291), load up a few, usually enough for a box of ammo and take my fat carcass out to wander in the desert looking for a few targets of opportunity like a jack rabbit coyote or some such. Haven't done as much for a while since the knees went out and then messed up in a wreck in my truck. So, what little I do with them now is on paper at the range.
I like my old M94 made in 1911. It's old and tired like me.
Paul B.

These days my lever actions are my " fun guns". Sometimes I'll cast up a few bullets (Lyman #311291 although my antique mold is marked #308291), load up a few, usually enough for a box of ammo and take my fat carcass out to wander in the desert looking for a few targets of opportunity like a jack rabbit coyote or some such. Haven't done as much for a while since the knees went out and then messed up in a wreck in my truck. So, what little I do with them now is on paper at the range.
I like my old M94 made in 1911. It's old and tired like me.
Paul B.
You all are just longtime friends. Dan.

Do I count the wife's rifles? Between us, 2 357 lever guns, one in 44, and one in 45-70. No joke, one of those 357s is the house gun and I do NOT feel under-gunned. Ever.

I'm a huge fan of lever rifles, regardless of caliber; they work and you can find one to fill nearly any requirement (nearly). I want one in 35 Remington, and one in 38-55 (or 375 Win), and lust after the idea of one in 480 Ruger. Would love to have a takedown like Scrum; but don't think I've got the cash for it.
Take downs are good fun my friend and with a scout scope or red dot, they are remarkably quick and handy. I'm currently on a bit of a journey with reloading straight wall cartridges. I believe I am discovering how important a consistent crimp is.

Still, all part of the learning experience and even if at times maddening

Quite a few take downs available at the moment:

Winchester are doing 1892s as are Chiappa.
Chiappa are making a 45-70 1886 takedown but with that 16" barrel, not sure I'd like it
Winchester are also doing 94s in 30-30, 38-55 and 450 Marlin if you want a thumper.

Scrummy

Did some shooting with a few of mine the other day. I think Guy mentioned most of us bolt gun folks have a few. It’s a breath of fresh air to shoot them after goofing around with bolt guns.
M99 300 Savage

M94 30-30

348 Win

444 Marlin

35 Remington

358 and 45-70 (444 in the back)

Sweet herd you've assembled, Scott. Yeah, I love having a lever gun or two about.

Very nice indeed, Scott!

I've often through 358 Win in a BLR or Savage 99 would make a great driven / general boar rifle here in Europe.

Daytime stalking with a 1.5-6x42 or something with a little more magnification
Driven with an Aimpoint or other red dot
High seat work at dusk with an 8x56.

Put those 3 in good quality QD rings and bases and very useable rig... (Though I probably wouldn't put a weaver rail on a Savage 99...)

Scrummy

Last edited:
Always thought the 307 and 356 Win looked interesting. "Proper" speeds and pressures out of a lever action
I've had multiple iterations of these cartridges in Model 94s. They are among my favourite cartridges of all time. The .356 rifles have accounted for a variety of game (grizzly, black bear, mule deer, elk, moose, whitetail...).

I've had multiple iterations of these cartridges in Model 94s. They are among my favourite cartridges of all time. The .356 rifles have accounted for a variety of game (grizzly, black bear, mule deer, elk, moose, whitetail...).
They are very cool but hardly ever seen sadly where I am, sadly.

Scrummy

I have to admit that I like the bemused looks I get from other guys on the rifle range, shooting AR's and bolt action rifles, when I pull out my 22, 30-30, or 45-70 rifle and start shooting. That big 45-70 really gets attention. :) I love smacking the 100 yard steel gong with it. Poor gong takes a big ol' hit from 405 grains of bullet. :)

Back