Gathering parts

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I keep telling myself this is it, last one. We’ll see.

I’ve had the hankering for a 6mm-223 for years. Plentiful brass, and I have a lot of bullets. So I’ve started collecting. So far the Bighorn Origin lefty action is still in process, over a month late. The good news is the McMillan Hunters Edge I ordered in February just shipped. Hart barrel is in the works, Mountain rifle contour. Wyatt’s mag box showed up yesterday.

Seems like someone here was a 6-223 fan? Wondering about a reamer, maybe custom to get away from being stuck at AR mag length. Let me know what you think.

I keep telling myself this is it, last one. We’ll see.

I’ve had the hankering for a 6mm-223 for years. Plentiful brass, and I have a lot of bullets. So I’ve started collecting. So far the Bighorn Origin lefty action is still in process, over a month late. The good news is the McMillan Hunters Edge I ordered in February just shipped. Hart barrel is in the works, Mountain rifle contour. Wyatt’s mag box showed up yesterday.

Seems like someone here was a 6-223 fan? Wondering about a reamer, maybe custom to get away from being stuck at AR mag length. Let me know what you think.
Twist rate????
I have a 6x45 and a 6x47, but they are both in center-grip XP-100's

A .223 is probably more sensible but that’s never been my strong suit when it comes to cartridge selection. Haha. I have a heavy 6x45 right now, put it together about a month ago with a X-Caliber CF barrel. I regrettably haven’t had the time to fool with it. The new build is going light, at least as light as I can get it. Like to be 7# or less all in.

A .223 is probably more sensible but that’s never been my strong suit when it comes to cartridge selection. Haha. I have a heavy 6x45 right now, put it together about a month ago with a X-Caliber CF barrel. I regrettably haven’t had the time to fool with it. The new build is going light, at least as light as I can get it. Like to be 7# or less all in.
Am i missing something or wouldn't the 6mm-223 be the same as the 6x45?

On a side note the 25-45 sharps has interested me for a while now

Got the barrel this week which was the last piece of the puzzle. We had a little miscommunication but Hart Barrels totally took care of it. Can’t say enough good about those folks.

I have decided to send the parts to a professional this time. It’ll be fun to see how it turns out. Sent to Shaen Maegan in Bishop CA. Nothing but good reports out of his shop. Super decent fellow to talk to. Figures a month-ish.

Sounds like a cool project. The Mountain rifle barrel contour, similar to a #2? What length are you going with? What is the expected weight going to be?

JD338

I have a 6x45 AR and its a cool little cartridge. I've taken 'yotes with it out to around 200 yards with the 65 V-Max, and they really get hammered by it. I haven't had a chance to stretch it further. 8208 XBR really wrings out all the performance from the cartridge. Mine isn't the most accurate, on a good day it'll do 3/4". Many more are 1/2 or even sub-half MOA. I really need to shoot it more, but it's been gathering dust since the Grendels came along. Not because I think the Grendels are much better than the 6x45, just because they are new. The odd thing about the 6x45 is you really don't find haters like you do with just about any other cartridge, seems like everybody that has one really likes it.

Sounds like a cool project. The Mountain rifle barrel contour, similar to a #2? What length are you going with? What is the expected weight going to be?

JD338
Yes, probably very similar to a Douglas #2. I’m going to start at 22 inches just because I like the proportions with that particular stock. I am hoping to end up 7# or less with a Leupold 2.5-8 which may or may not be realistic. I usually miss the mark by several lbs. haha.

Nice. Not sure what your plans are for the rifle but it sure would make for a great coyote rig.

JD338

I have a 6x45 AR and its a cool little cartridge. I've taken 'yotes with it out to around 200 yards with the 65 V-Max, and they really get hammered by it. I haven't had a chance to stretch it further. 8208 XBR really wrings out all the performance from the cartridge. Mine isn't the most accurate, on a good day it'll do 3/4". Many more are 1/2 or even sub-half MOA. I really need to shoot it more, but it's been gathering dust since the Grendels came along. Not because I think the Grendels are much better than the 6x45, just because they are new. The odd thing about the 6x45 is you really don't find haters like you do with just about any other cartridge, seems like everybody that has one really likes it.
Thanks. I have since fired the heavy one mentioned above. I’ve got a pile of 69gr benchrest bullets and H322. The first ten rounds just kept making the hole bigger.

Back