Borescoping 7mm Magnum

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I ran the Teslong through the 7mm Mag barrel after cleaning with Bore Tech Eliminator, started at the chamber end, first picture shows the top of the neck area in the chamber, it looks like a carbon ring, not sure, 2nd picture is a little ahead of the start of the lands, 3rd picture is a tad further down the barrel. The rest of the pictures are in order as moving down the barrel until its close to the muzzle where it looks almost shiny clean. My question is why is it dark between the lands, would anyone enlighten me on what we are seeing here?

( top is the chamber and bottom is the start of the lands, carbon ring in between )
NLj4oAAl.jpg

OItChunl.jpg

p6qlw7Hl.jpg

PJdLbr1l.jpg

7TnPxOkl.jpg

66FmpZSl.jpg

9Zk17NAl.jpg

Last edited:
Now you are seeing the evils of a borescope. What you are seeing is carbon. The best way I found to remove it is Kroil and bronze brush. If the rifle was shooting good then it isn’t an issue. Borescopes have us cleaning barrels more than we need to sometimes.

Now you are seeing the evils of a borescope. What you are seeing is carbon. The best way I found to remove it is Kroil and bronze brush. If the rifle was shooting good then it isn’t an issue. Borescopes have us cleaning barrels more than we need to sometimes.
You are correct, that made me want to clean it, but the gun is capable of .5 MOA at 100, so I would leave it as is until it starts shooting poorly.

Better to do some cleaning rather than have carbon accumulate and harden IMO. Using some CLR has gotten pretty popular lately for its ability to break down carbon. I use BoreTech's C4 and let it sit in the barrel for a while after regular cleaning and then brush it out. Some black streaks/spots seem impossible to remove no matter what you do. Carbon rings at the end of the chamber are the hardest to deal with once they have gotten baked on.

Just my 2 cents and that's probably what it's worth.

Back