anyone?

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
use the hornady Atips for hunting? thinking about trying the 338 300 gr atips for long range deer hunting, with a BC of .86 they should shoot pretty flat

Sorry, I just cannot endorse the use of target bullets for hunting...nor do any of the manufacturers!
They are not designed to expand on tissue and bone.
I realize that many people insist on doing so, and that they are getting results in kills...

I question the ethics of using the wrong tool for the job, just because they have high BC's and may shoot very accurately in one's rifle, and in the end the shooter is either not willing to spend the extra effort, time or money to develop a hunting bullet load that shoots accurately in that firearm for hunting. In the end, the bullet is the least expensive component used for any hunt, and is most critical in the delivering the clean, quick kill of that targeted big game animal.
Need a new statement here: "Use enough bullet!"

A question to ponder perspective:
Would you allow a surgeon or a dentist to operate on you with tools acquired at Home Depot?
I wouldn't want an amputation performed with a Sawz-All or chainsaw, or dentist to perform a root canal with a Dewalt cordless drill!
Would you?

While I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here, I have to be open and honest in my response.

I do not use target bullets for hunting. I use real hunting bullets. Prefer Nosler PAR or one of the Swift Bullets for big game. If shooting ground squirrels I prefer the Hornady SX bullets or I would use a target bullet since it is not really hunting and just shooting were I do not care to take the animal home

well at 1k no bullet behaves like they do at 100, any bullet will easily shoot through a whitetail after they slow down. I'm talking about a .338, 300 gr bullet on a 150 pound animal, no hunter has any right questioning another hunters ethics if he is within the law especially when you do not know the individuals background, hunting area, or experience. In some instances hunting bullets are not fit for hunting, if you don't believe me try a berger 140 6.5 hunting bullet at 3280 fps from an 8 twist cut rifled kreiger barrel, it will expand violently on hair, but the same bullet in a thicker jacketed match bullet works perfectly. some folks know these things!

well at 1k no bullet behaves like they do at 100, any bullet will easily shoot through a whitetail after they slow down. I'm talking about a .338, 300 gr bullet on a 150 pound animal, no hunter has any right questioning another hunters ethics if he is within the law especially when you do not know the individuals background, hunting area, or experience. In some instances hunting bullets are not fit for hunting, if you don't believe me try a berger 140 6.5 hunting bullet at 3280 fps from an 8 twist cut rifled kreiger barrel, it will expand violently on hair, but the same bullet in a thicker jacketed match bullet works perfectly. some folks know these things!
I agree that hunting bullets designed to open up at 1800+ fps are not good hunting bullets at extended ranges. My Nosler number 3 manual suggested the old Solid Base bullets with their thin jackets be used for very long shots on game, as an example. This is why Bergers with high bc bullets and thin jackets perform so well on big game at extended ranges and why Nosler LR Accubonds are designed to open up at 1300 fps vs the standard AccuBond "hunting" bullet.

I agree that hunting bullets designed to open up at 1800+ fps are not good hunting bullets at extended ranges. My Nosler number 3 manual suggested the old Solid Base bullets with their thin jackets be used for very long shots on game, as an example. This is why Bergers with high bc bullets and thin jackets perform so well on big game at extended ranges and why Nosler LR Accubonds are designed to open up at 1300 fps vs the standard AccuBond "hunting" bullet.
todays ballistic tips in big game hunting weights that are packed 50 per box are the exact same makeup as the nosler solid base boat tails with the exception of the nylon vs. a lead tip.

Hornady’s 8th edition lists the A-max as a recommended medium game bullet. My experience with them back in the day were hit and miss. 208 Amax out of 30-378 destroyed the side of a deer , but that same bullet is golden for deer in 308 Win.
Back to the OP’s opening question of the A-tip at long range will work.

Hornady’s 8th edition lists the A-max as a recommended medium game bullet. My experience with them back in the day were hit and miss. 208 Amax out of 30-378 destroyed the side of a deer , but that same bullet is golden for deer in 308 Win.
Back to the OP’s opening question of the A-tip at long range will work.
The guys on Long range hunting praised the a-max if the impact velocities were kept too around 3200 fps, high velocity impacts are what kills most bullets, even the highly exalted nosler Partition will fail above 3400 fps if heavy bone is encountered.

When Berger brought out the 230gr Hybrid I jumped all over them. Perfect deer bullet for the 30-378. I’ve ditch the factory barrel a few years ago in favor of a 8 twist. And now I’m stocked with 230gr and 250gr A-tips and Berger’s 245gr.

The first deer I shot with my 30-378 was with an 180gr AccuBond , a little over 3500 fps muzzle velocity under 50yds. It wasn’t pretty.
yes the AccuBond may become just a twisted mass of lead and copper but it holds together and penetrates. if the H-mantle in the Partition ruptures, penetration stops now. I once shot a 7mm 160 gr AccuBond into a green maple tree. impact velocity was 3520 fps, it penetrated 14", expanded to .858" and retained 64% of its original weight.

I used the 150 Lapua Scenar from a 7-08 on some hogs and two whitetail doe, they were deader than dead and didn't go any further than their shadows. But, I think I just happened upon the goldilocks zone of mass and velocity. Shots were between 50 and 200 yards. There's several fellas over on LRH that love them for hunting. I wouldn't hesitate to use that particular cartridge/bullet combination on just about any game I'm likely to encounter.

My buddy who I crop damage deer hunt with uses a Sierra 175 SMK in his 30-378 Wby with pretty good results. Although there have been a couple that penciled through, most expanded, sometimes violently depending on shot placement and distance.
I'm not sold on using target bullets for hunting. All of my hunting has been with hunting bullets only.

JD338

todays ballistic tips in big game hunting weights that are packed 50 per box are the exact same makeup as the nosler solid base boat tails with the exception of the nylon vs. a lead tip.
I believe some jackets are thicker in some calibers and weights like 7mm 120, 308 125 and 180, 338 etc.

I believe some jackets are thicker in some calibers and weights like 7mm 120, 308 125 and 180, 338 etc.
like always they use the same cups to form the same caliber bullets, a 7mm 120 is not stretched as far as a 150 so the jacket is a bit thicker. its always been that way

Back