Badgers- How/ where would you hunt one?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Okay- call me weird but I have some history with Badgers. Calling in a Coyote and taking it w/ the 250 is on my bucket list, but so is a Badger. When I was a kid we had quite a few of them, but I havent seen a Road killed Badger in forever. No alfalfa around east river anymore and no gophers.... probably the reason. Are they still around? Where and if so how would you hunt them? Just a random question, for fun. CL

I've only seen a couple and they were in hayfields.
I would think trapping would be an effective way to get one.

JD338

Tried to get one with my bow in SE Alberta on my first antelope hunt. Saw a couple, just didn't get a shot opportunity, as they were too far distant and disappeared into burrows when I got closer.
Cool animals!

I've taken two two. One was a target of opportunity and the other was a target of removing a hazard.

Badger number one was spotted next to mu taget that was on a berm. I guess he was sleeping and the bullet impacts woke hime up. Rifle was my new Remington 660 in .308 and I was in the process of fine tuning the sight in when I saw the badger. My stepson was with me so I told hit I'd take a poke at him. Nailed him cold on the first shot.

Badger number two really should have been left alone. We were out shooting jackrabbit at dusk and one of the fellows, Mr. Idiot spotted a badger and started shooting at it with a .22. Made a gut shot as we learned tater. Mr. badger strated digging a hole and the idiot runs up to where he's digging. Mr. bdger backed out of the hole and started Mr. Idiot and I had to go in with the .22 pistol I was using and kill the badger before Mr. Idiot got hurt.

For the record, we never allowed Mr. Idiot to hunt or shoot with us again.
Paul B.

I have hit two on dirt roads with my hyundai elantra. They also tried to drag themselves away. Tough creatures. Luckily had a rifle to put one out of its misery.

Can’t touch them here in Wisconsin. I’ve only seen 1 my entire life , so much for being the state animal.

Mike,
I want to know more about that beer drinking squirrel 🐿️

JD338
They are known to frequent the local watering hole in many back water towns...the kind of place the good Dr doesn't frequent too often! :devilish:
Those thirsty ground squirrels usually frequent those establishments that the badgers are banned from...too many skirmishes that requires the local sheriff to keep the peace otherwise!;)

Can’t touch them here in Wisconsin. I’ve only seen 1 my entire life , so much for being the state animal.
No kidding!?!??? Protected in Wisc? Guess that says something. +1 on the dog towns. Course its not surprising that they can be found drinking beer in wisc. :) Prairie dog towns aren't as common to find as they once were. As I noted, Badgers used to live in alfalfa and rock piles, and I assume ate a lot of gophers. Not as many of either one of them around. CL

Last edited:
They are known to frequent the local watering hole in many back water towns...the kind of place the good Dr doesn't frequent too often! :devilish:
Those thirsty ground squirrels usually frequent those establishments that the badgers are banned from...too many skirmishes that requires the local sheriff to keep the peace otherwise!;)
Well, now I know why I have never seen that. I had some people that I was helping come down off a high that claimed to have seen some weird things, but I don't ever recall canoeing badgers or alcoholic ground squirrels. 🥴

Well, first ya finds a field where there's some rodent type critters. Badger food.

Then ya squint real hard and find one of them onery badgers.

Then ya get down on the ground and low crawl as quietly as you can...

And grab that badger dude!

That's when it might get a little rough... ;)

But that's how ya do it. Let me know when you're gonna give it a try, I'll get it on video!

Guy

Back