Dad's Model 742

Yoteklr

Work, load, shoot, hunt, repeat
Apr 19, 2022
Since I inherited my dad's 742 30-06 I have spent quite a lot of time mechanically restoring it.

After several load development sessions I believe that I have had a breakthrough.
150 Ballistic tips and Reloder 15.
Shot at 200 yards from a hunting bag.

I can't believe that I am exited about a 1 moa group but this is terrific for this model firearm.
20230312_092453.jpg20230312_143731.jpg

That's great shooting for the 742. Seen some that would stay in a 8 in paper plate at 100yds and a few that would do 2ins. Hope you get to tag some game with it this fall Dan.

I have written about a hunter we had about 12/15 years ago. He was NOT a hunter but had inherited his Dad's 742- 30/06. His father had dreamed of hunting Moose in New Foundland for 30 years. Unfortunately he never made it. After he passed the sons kids put in for Maine moose permit for many years. When it finally came thru he booked a hunt with us. He showed up with the old 742 and a box of his Dad's old Green box 220 gr Core-lokts. Box was marked "Newfoundland Moose "
Opening day he made his dad's dream come true! 1 shot in the chest of a 45" Bull that rushed in to the call, that old Remington and the 50 year old ammo had both worked flawlessly on the Moose. He had it mounted and hung the gun underneath it. Certainly make you wonder if his old man was watching?????
E

We all like bullet cutting accuracy, who doesn't? But think of it this way.........2" at 200 yards is not only hitting the deer, and not only hitting it within the vitals, but from the midway point of it up is staying well within a specific organ in the deer that is not all that big. 2" will be inside the heart itself on both width and height if you don't count the bottom tip.

Despite what we all strive for, that is more than adequate accuracy at any range you'd typically shoot. You don't need a single bit more than that.

I love hearing these stories of guns being passed down from generation to generation, neither of my grandfathers were hunters. My dad was and when he passed I received his 280 Remington 700 Mountain rifle. I've been lucky to enough to use it to take several white-tailed deer. His rifle will be passed to my grandson, who will turn 2 next month and I hope it means as much to him as it does to me. If my granddaughter who's 4 continues to spend time in the outdoors with her dad and takes an interest in shooting and hunting, I will pass my 7x57 Ruger #1AB to her.

Last edited:
Unfortunately My Father passed last October and I also inherited a Remington 742 30-06 with a Weaver 4 power scope. All I have done with it was bring it home and Clean it. I will have to think of what I want to do with it As I plan on keeping it. Maybe a dedicated Bear rifle with a low power scope ?

Unfortunately My Father passed last October and I also inherited a Remington 742 30-06 with a Weaver 4 power scope. All I have done with it was bring it home and Clean it. I will have to think of what I want to do with it As I plan on keeping it. Maybe a dedicated Bear rifle with a low power scope ?
I will suggest cleaning the bolt and bolt lugs really well. Re- lube with Moly grease on all moving parts.

Get the chamber inspected with a borescope for rust. Polish if necessary. Use a small base full length size die If your reloading.

Make sure handguard isn't binding or touching the barrel.

Good luck and let us know how it shoots.

If you are a semiauto fan they were a great rifle. Most who had/have cycling issues with them are do to lack of any TLC. Yoteklr has provided some good advice. The Remington and Winchester semiauto were not built to military spec and need to be maintained. Over the years I owned a 740 in 30-06, 742 in 308, and a 742 in 6mm Rem. All were maintained and while I owned them functioned flawlessly. The next owner of the 740 started to have issues with it not ejecting and tearing the rim. He asked me to look at it and what I found was lack of any TLC, rust in the chamber and on the outside. It had been used, put in a case wet, and and stored there. A long cleaning session and chamber polishing and it once again function the way it should, just didn't look as pretty as when I owned it.

Back