.338-06 A-Square 225 Accubond

Jerry 919

Beginner
Oct 18, 2006
Nosler Model 48 Legacy, 338-06 A-Square, 225 AccuBond.

Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36

Nosler brass
Gold Medal Large Rifle Match
50.5 grains of RL 15
OAL: 3.420"
Three shots at 100 yards .140"
Jerry919.jpg

Jerry919219.jpg

Jerry 919
Bend, Oregon

Man, post a picture of that group. There is nothing wrong with that. It will certainly work on any game in North America.

Jerry 919":37r2k8jj said:
Nosler Model 48 Legacy, 338-06 A-Square, 225 AccuBond.

Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36

Nosler brass
Gold Medal Large Rifle Match
50.5 grains of RL 15
OAL: 3.420"
Three shots at 100 yards .140"

Jerry 919
Bend, Oregon

Man, RL15 strikes again! Can't beat it for the 338-06 or 35 Whelen

How is the recoil on that critter? Is it something that bothers you after 20 rounds or so at the bench or is it tolerable? I have a 30-06 that I load for, but I'm just curious as to how much more it is than a 30-06. That is some fantastic shooting also. I don't think you need to tweak a thing!

Dr. Mike,

Asked JD to post the photo for me. Hopefully this evening.

6mm Remington,

Recoil to me seems gentle. Approximately 280 Ackley level.
Group with 51.0 grains was also under .25" inch.

Jerry 919

I shoot the 225 Partition all of the time as my main load for the .340 Bee. Load is 87.0 grains of IMR 7828 SSC, muzzle velocity is 3080 fps with Fed 215 Mag Match primer in 26 inch barrel. Now back when I loaded extensively for the .338 WM velocities with IMR 4350 were about 2850 with this weight of bullet. Recoil is about 40 ft pounds in an 8.5 pound rifles with scope. I would anticipate that the .338-06 would be about 25 ft pounds of recoil energy in a rifle of similar weight.

Great group!

Jerry,

Awesome shooting!
That M48 Legacy is a shooter for sure. Nice job finding such an accurate load.

JD338

Jerry -
Really nice shooting :!: . Did you work up to that, or is there still room for you to increase the charge? I haven't tried the 225 AB yet, but have a load worked up with the 225 deep curl with H414 that really smokes and has good accuracy. My go-to bullet for this caliber has been the 210PT using R15.

That is some really fine shooting. :lol:

I got a .338-06 project in the oven that I should be getting my hands on towards the end of the year. I can't wait..

The primers looked fine and the 51.0 grain load shot really well and was under a quarter on an inch. The 50.5 load is the maximum load in the Nosler book. I think there is plenty of room. But, I say "why". Might be able to squeeze another 100 feet per second out of it. Can't really improve accuracy. Should be able to anchor anything out to 300 yards.

Never had a rifle shoot so well so soon. And it is beautiful.

Jerry 919
Bend, Oregon

:shock: One shot groups are always the best :lol: Those Nolser rifle seem to be worth every penny. Every group I see shot by one is under .5", and most of the time under .3"!

Nice work!

jmad_81,

You are correct about the Nosler Rifles. As a disclaimer, let me state that I worked there for two years. I believe that the rifles are as good as there is. I personally know the guys that build the rifles and they are top notch. At Nosler, the products are never "ok or good enough" they are RIGHT or they don't get out the door.

For this rifle I used new Nosler brass. In the box of 25 there were two that were heavy by .10th of a grain. I loaded those two as foulers. Fired both at 200 yard metal gong. The impact was checked when done shooting and they everlapped. Each charge was individually hand weighed and the bullet seated .020" off the lands. The bullets by the way were Nosler seconds. Paced shots at three minute intervals.

The only extra step that I took was using the Hornady Concentricity Gauge. Just got it last week from Midway. Never used one before, and this is not a commercial, but I am a believer. Spun each round to under one degree.

Now slowly working my way through the ammo room and have to spin about 5,000 previously loaded rounds. I think that it removes one more variable.

The load itself was right out of the Nosler manual. Picked RL 15 after talking to the guys in the Ballistics Lab and several customers coming through the Pro Shop.

Jerry 919
Bend, Oregon

Great report Jerry. Your 338 is a shooter and your load work seems top notch. Never measured concentricity, but maybe I should start!

Jerry 919":29vnj7u5 said:
Group with 51.0 grains was also under .25" inch.

Jerry 919

What are you getting from the chrono on those?

I LOVE that cartridge...

efw,

Will chronograph on Friday. If the book is right should be right at 2600 FPS.

Jerry 919

Back