Down to one!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
Just a follow up to my post about owning six .30-06 rifles. I've sold all but three actually and I just dropped the third one off to be rebarreled into a .338-06. I still have the Stevens 200 for sale so hopefully I'll be down to one 06 soon, and if the Stevens doesn't sell I've got a .358 Win barrel under my bench that will probably be screwed on. Wasn't wanting a .358 on a long action but it will work just fine for one, and give me extra mag space to seat bullets a little longer.

My plan for is to have a matched pair of rifles in SS M70 Classic rifles in McMillan Edge stocks. Hopefully in a few months I'll be the proud owner of a .338-06 with a #3 contour Pac-Nor Super Match SS 3 groove 10 twist, with Talley LW mounts, and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 in a Black Hunters Edge stock. My SS Classic FWT will be done in a couple of weeks but will be in a light tan Hunters Edge stock, with Talley mounts and a Vari-X III 2.5-8X36 that I have laying around. These will be my traveling and mountain hunting rifles. I'm hoping the 06 will come in at 7 lbs all up and the .338-06 around 8 lbs all up.

Should make the perfect pair of M70's! Sorry to all the Whelen guys, hey I love it too but just feel that .338 offers a little better choices. 200 and 225 Accubonds are hopefully what this rifle will like to eat.

Punch the 358 out to whelen and join the elite club!

Here is mine.

2012-08-29204956.jpg

Sounds as if things are moving smoothly for you. For sure, there is nothing wrong with a 338-06. I've often thought of building one, just because I could. My hunting partner carries a 338-06 on occasion, and it serves him quite well.

It's cool POP! There are so many different rifles on here it is hard to remember who owns what. I have a 99A in .358 Win but I'm a bolt action hunting guy so that is why I have the barrel.

Back