Guidelines for forming Brass from another case.....

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Specifically of course, for the 250 Savage. I know it can be done from a 22-250, but are there other cases? And if so is it just a matter of trial and error, or are there guide lines some where? Seems like there are cases out there for the 6.5 Creed... I probably wont do it, just because the reloading / load development would be a pain... but a question for a curious mind. Thanks CL

300 savage will work, you can make about anything if the case you start with has the correct casehead size and its long enough. If you have the right tooling. I have a book entitled reloaders guide to cartridge conversions. on a few chamberings the instructions begin with "use a 3/8 brass rod" , a couple ya use brass tubing and silver solder a shim of solid brass rod for a casehead.

Or go to gunbroker, lots of brass for sale and some of it is actually a fair price. I’ve seen 250 savage listed there. Only problem is you have to go page by page as they don’t have it set up to select a particular cartridge.

I could be wrong but looking at the case dimensions a 7mm-08 or 308 case should work.

6.5 creedmoor should work also
22-250 compared to a creedmoor
YSgUpdd.jpg

Last edited:
If your willing to tinker 6.5 Creed would work.
Now The Handloader’s Manual of Cartridge Conversion shows using 270 Win brass.
IMG_3485.jpeg
That just seems like a lot of work with the long case.

If your willing to tinker 6.5 Creed would work.
Now The Handloader’s Manual of Cartridge Conversion shows using 270 Win brass.
View attachment 20005
That just seems like a lot of work with the long case.
Yup- seems like a lot of work. Cool volume though. Bet that one is fun to peruse. CL

Thanks all for your replies and research. I had heard that a 250 Savage was a parent case to the 6.5 Creed. I doubt that is correct but I knew the dimensions were close. That being the case- I should have TONS of brass available. Everbody wants a 6.5 Creed! :D CL

Thanks all for your replies and research. I had heard that a 250 Savage was a parent case to the 6.5 Creed. I doubt that is correct but I knew the dimensions were close. That being the case- I should have TONS of brass available. Everbody wants a 6.5 Creed! :D CL
It is but they took out the taper and gave it a sharper shoulder. You should be able to just run them into your 250 Savage sizing die and trim for length but it's probably not worth it. Necking up the 22-250 would be your best bet but it sounds like you got lots of brass anyway.

they started with another case to make the creed, forget what it was. But if you had to make it with what brass you can buy today, the shortest path would be start with a 250 savage

they started with another case to make the creed, forget what it was. But if you had to make it with what brass you can buy today, the shortest path would be start with a 250 savage
30 TC is the parent case to the Creed

You're right I forgot about it. Evidently most people forgot about the 30 TC as well.

With what you're working with obviously the simplest thing is to use 250 Savage brass, but depending on the price and availability right now for that brass, something like 22-250 brass might be an attractive option.

Other than changing the neck diameter only for something like necking up 30-06 to 35 Whelen, the only thing I've used a completely different case for has been 257 Roberts Ackley. You gotta fire form something for that regardless and 257 Roberts brass is also hard to come by at times. I got quite a bit of 6mm Remington brass so I just made some from that.

Back