Peanuts for the Jays

We have discharge laws here. Notwithstanding NYS regs, there are town and county laws to contend with. Technically, you can't shoot a BB gun in your yard around here. Living in a dense suburb has its limitations. LOL
Same here in little ol' Wenatchee Washington. City law against discharging a firearm, even an air rifle or a bow, within the city limits.

Guy

Same here in little ol' Wenatchee Washington. City law against discharging a firearm, even an air rifle or a bow, within the city limits.

Guy
Guy, Rules are a little different here in Florida. If you own an acre whether it be in the city or country you can shoot to your heart's desire. I'm lucky in that a good friend has 10 acres that back up to a 30,000 acre preserve. We shoot anything that has a trigger on it.

I'm fortunate that we can shoot without any restrictions on our property. Couple years ago I shot two racoons with my 22 Nosler that's topped with a thermal scope. They were trying to raid the eggs on a Canadian goose that was nesting behind the house. The deck offered the perfect perch to dispatch the bandits.

JD338

Guy
Would they prosecute you if you discharged a firearm because a criminal broke your door down and assaulted you family?

Would they prosecute you if you discharged a firearm because a criminal broke your door down and assaulted you family?
No. Of course not. We've had folks defend themselves here in town with no problem.

The intent was to keep firearms from being used in an urban setting with people living close to each other.

It's a smallish city and takes only a few minutes to get out into the county where it's legal to shoot. Also there are two gun clubs near the city, one within a couple of miles of my house. Heck, I've ridden my bicycle there! Not with a rifle slung across my back, but a 45, a box of ammo, shooting glasses and hearing protection fit fine in a small backpack. :)

I had a nice talk with a fellow helping his teenage son sight in a 243 Win on the outskirts of town... I caught the call while I was working - I'm both a Marine veteran and a retired cop. I explained how his shooting there was a danger to folks. Some people in that area have had bullets hit their homes.

He said that his dad had taught him to shoot there when he was a kid, and that he just hadn't thought about how the city had grown, and that perhaps his choice of place to shoot wasn't such a great idea. I complimented him on teaching his son firearms safety and helping him shoot the rifle better. Complimented the rifle choice as well. Recommended a better, safer, legal place to go shooting in a nearby canyon and we all shook hands. No citations, just solved the issue.

Guy

Back