1 in 9" .277 barrel

NYDAN":6kiw6nnl said:
I dropped the rifle off at the gun smith's on Wednesday. I decided on a 1:9" twist since I don't plan to use the Berger bullets. He likes to work with Douglas barrels but since they don't provide 1:9" twist, he said he has experience with, and would use, a Hart barrel. He said he would contact Hart and see about availability and delivery. I will check with the gunsmith next week to see if he has a time frame yet.

Dan

Another one is Schneider barrels. Our M40's used to use them and they were fantastic as well. Krieger is running about 3 months right now as well.

Bear,
Thanks for posting those numbers on BC reduction when
the twist isnt optimum. And I certainly agree that out to 300yds you do NOT need ABLR bullets.
I have a box of ABLR's ready to use specificly for those Moose hunting situations we get here all the time where the bull is way out in a bog, 4/600 yds and We cant get them to come in closer by calling. The BC of 150 ABLR's
is .625 take away 7% for the 10 twist and you still are shooting a bullet designed for LR expansion with a "readjusted" BC of .580............ Thats pretty darn high even
with the adjustment? At 1000 yds ( which in my opinion
Is way tooooo far to fire at either a moose or elk with a 270)as far as energy is concerned........ the 7% would matter, but even though you could hit them, you could not
expect to cleanly kill behond 6/7 hundred. Your just outta "steam" bullets arriving at 1000 ft lbs or less just doesnt cut it for me, even 1500ft lbs needs to be well placed imho.
Out to 500yds, I dont think its worth considering changing barrels over? But thats just my 2cw.

PS. Just realized I am dumping cold water onto a "hot project"............ :oops:

Here is Nosler’s updated BC’s for their bullets

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thread ... tc.197258/

And we have what Litz tested them at.. so either way, like E was mentioning, we do have an over .500 .277 bullet which isn’t a bad thing.

I’m giving the 210’s a try right now.. they seem like they might shoot with a little more work but I vowed if I get to the bottom of the box and don’t have a solid load I’ll move onto something else.

Sorry to jump off topic.

Damn, you are turning something big huh Fotis.

I’ve got a 10 twist on my 375 Improved. It opens Bullets real nice. Can’t imagine a 7!

My gunsmith called today. He talked with Hart and everything is set for a 1:9" barrel with the original Remington contour. Delivery from Hart is 6-7 weeks. The gun smith didn't say how long he would take. He told me he also ordered a Bartlein barrel for another customer but the deliver was over 3 months for the Bartlein barrel.

One of the reasons I want to shoot the 150 ABLRs is because I believe they will open quickly like a 150 BT but will stay intact for an exit wound on large deer. The large buck I shot last year was quartering toward me and I hit right on the shoulder ball and socket. The 150 BT punched through the shoulder ball and socket and lungs and a big piece of the jacket base was under the skin on the far side. I think the 150 ABLR would have exited.

Also, I can shoot 400 to 600 yard shots from my back doors. It is 650 yards to the end of the field from the bench rest set up in the garage. So I want to retain as much energy as I can in case I ever get to take a 400 yard shot. My average shot distance on whitetail bucks is 200 yards. I almost never shoot one within 100 yards.

Dan

I've had very good success with Hart, Dan. I believe you should be quite satisfied with the recommendation of your smith.

DrM,
Was that a Hart barrel you put on your 35 Whelen years ago? They certainly make a nice barrel. I have always wanted to grab a 6.5 barrel and screw it onto my 25/06 so
I could shoot all those wonderful .264 bullets that are available!! Plus just looking at folks expressions when you
told em its a 6.5/06 would be worth the price of admission!

35 Whelen":3j08emzt said:
DrM,
Was that a Hart barrel you put on your 35 Whelen years ago? They certainly make a nice barrel. I have always wanted to grab a 6.5 barrel and screw it onto my 25/06 so
I could shoot all those wonderful .264 bullets that are available!! Plus just looking at folks expressions when you
told em its a 6.5/06 would be worth the price of admission!

I have a 1:8 .277 barrel now. I shoot the.270wea and before I never did good accuracy with factory 130grain ammo from Weatherby. Now on the other hand I get match precision. If one is to have a 1:9 made make it 1:8 while you are at it. Nosler 150grain ABLR and with others like Bergers the .277 cal may begin to need sharper twist.

I have a 1:8 .277 barrel now. I shoot the.270wea and before I never did good accuracy with factory 130grain ammo from Weatherby. Now on the other hand I get match precision. If one is to have a 1:9 made make it 1:8 while you are at it. Nosler 150grain ABLR and with others like Bergers the .277 cal made begin to need sharper twist.

Back