10-shot load development begin, 30-06, Ramshot Hunter

joelkdouglas":2hmhkva6 said:
Yesterday a trip to the range with Hunter and 180 PTs resulted in so-so accuracy at 200 yards, a 2.5 inch 5-shot group. I went back again today and a similar test resulted in a 4-inch group.

But I have plenty of H4350 and 180 Accubonds too—I have to switch to some other powder with Accubonds because the case is too full with Ramshot Hunter to seat the Accubonds off the lands very far. I can seat a 180 AccuBond 0.075 off the lands with 57 grains of H4350, using a drop tube.

Wish I had a range out back so I could step outside and see how they shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using RL16 in mine Joel. Pretty speedy as well, but not too much different than 4350.

And I can’t tell you why I loaded 59.1 vs 59.2 but I’ll check it the next time I get it out.

SJB358":3gn444ra said:
joelkdouglas":3gn444ra said:
Yesterday a trip to the range with Hunter and 180 PTs resulted in so-so accuracy at 200 yards, a 2.5 inch 5-shot group. I went back again today and a similar test resulted in a 4-inch group.

But I have plenty of H4350 and 180 Accubonds too—I have to switch to some other powder with Accubonds because the case is too full with Ramshot Hunter to seat the Accubonds off the lands very far. I can seat a 180 AccuBond 0.075 off the lands with 57 grains of H4350, using a drop tube.

I’ve been using RL16 in mine Joel. Pretty speedy as well, but not too much different than 4350.

And I can’t tell you why I loaded 59.1 vs 59.2 but I’ll check it the next time I get it out.

I got some RL16 coming, I looked at it and for a whole range of bullet weights in a variety of calibers it is either the top speed powder listed or near the top. I think in 06 it's quite a bit faster than 4350 in the 150 and 165 grains. I'm not a speed chaser but if the accuracy is there with better speeds than some of the old stand by's, and still way below showing pressure, I'll be a buyer.

SJB358":2qv5xeap said:
joelkdouglas":2qv5xeap said:

Thanks Scotty! How is the case fill with R16? The 180 AB is seated definitely into the shoulder.

ShadeTree":1kzxg6w2 said:
SJB358":1kzxg6w2 said:
joelkdouglas":1kzxg6w2 said:

I got some RL16 coming, I looked at it and for a whole range of bullet weights in a variety of calibers it is either the top speed powder listed or near the top. I think in 06 it's quite a bit faster than 4350 in the 150 and 165 grains. I'm not a speed chaser but if the accuracy is there with better speeds than some of the old stand by's, and still way below showing pressure, I'll be a buyer.

And looking at Scotty’s picture, the accuracy is definitely there!

Joel, no issue with seating the 180’s deep. Mine is probably seated around 3.3” or so and it seats just fine. Pretty minimal compression.

Hunter is all I use in 5 or 6 .30-06s. 59.0 grains with a 180 Partition with a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer gets me right at 2825 from a Tikka barrel.

If that won't kill it, it don't need killin'.

P

Back