110 Accubond feedback

Hired Gun

Beginner
Sep 29, 2004
So far so good.
It's showing promise in my 26" 257 Wby Accumark.
svi00209vi.jpg

.401" 3 shot group.
Weather was clear and 45 degrees.
Work up Load:
Weatherby brass neck sized with Lee die.
CCI-250 primer
75 Grains of RL-25
OAL 3.330
Velocity 3565 fps --- ES 23 fps
This is a very mild load in my rifle.
I still have a ways to go with the RL-25.

From a previous test 73 grains of IMR-7828 put the 110 AB at 3525 for a good safe top load in my rifle. Not quite as good as .401 but .7" for sure. Recovered bullets from clay bank showed about 65% retention and the core is bonded very well to the peeled back copper. Very similar to the Partition as advertised.

Reloading is dangerous. As with any load data it is for entertainment purpose only. Your results may vary.

Wow that's smokin velocities! Is that normal for 110 Gr. in 257 Weatherby.

It seems to be. The acceleration curve is fairly smooth and stable as the powder charges are increased. No reason to stop yet. The spike at 73 grains on the first shot I think the bore must not have been completely dry. I was cleaning while the barrrel cooled. If I don't run into pressure it looks like 76.5-77 grains should put me at 3600 fps. The testing continues.
image0022vz.gif

Nice work HG...
I cant wiat to try those 110s in my 25Jnkr
25-284 with a radiused shoulder. It'l do ~ 3360 with the 100BT

Turns out that 75 grains of RL-25 was the top. At 76 grains the velocity backed up to 3525 and the bolt had just a bit of drag and the primers were flattened. I tried 76.5 and the velocity jumped up to 3589 with the same drag and primer but a slight extractor mark over the 76 grain load. On the second shot at 76.5 the bolt was froze shut and the velocity spiked tp 3647. After getting the bolt open the primer showed a small gas leak and a heavy extractor mark. That piece of brass was trashed. It even flowed a little brass above the belt. DANGER DANGER!

After evaluating both powders in my Accumark I'm recomending that the velocity is safe to about 3500-3525. That leaves a very small margin for warmer weather and ensures a good solid 3500 feet per second out of the 110 AccuBond. I think I'm going to tweek my IMR 7828 load to 3500 feet per second and call it good. 72.8 grains of IMR 7828 should do it. I could shoot the RL-25 at 3500 easy enough but the exreme spread was way to big and the groups were no good. Accuracy with the 7828 was a workable .7" so playing with seating depth might bring it around.

The 110 AccuBond has a very long bearing surface. I 'm thinking it's why I can't get the super speed that were getting out of the Partition. Now I need to see what shoots flatter. An AccuBond at 3500 or the Partition at 3700. Decisions decisions. Wind drift and 600 yard drop are going to be the deciding factors.

Very nice results and man are those speeds smokin'!!

Hired Gun, it would be interesting to See Ramshot Magnum in your Accumark. See my post where I used Magnum powder (formerly Big Boy, they are identical) in my 257 wby Vanguard with outstanding results.
AD

AggieDog,
I checked your post. Very impressive. I think I will try a can. I still want to back up and try IMR-4831, H-4831SC , RL-22. I'm having a hard time getting the consistant accuracy that I'm looking for. Right now I only get a worthy target about 1 out of 5 groups. I have 50 more Accubonds, but if they don't come around I'm going back to Partitions.

Hired Gun, try increasing your O.A.L. The thing to remember on Weatherby cartridges is there is so much freebore, you usually can not seat close to the lands. My oal was 3.417 and while I wasnt solid, I easily grouped 1 inch, which tells me braced up, I am with a good accruate load.

At any rate, the only issue or limit on oal in the weatherby is if the cartridge with the bullet runs thru the magazine ok. Of course, you do want to make sure you arent touching the lands, I doubt you will, but safety first.

Ramshot Magnum is a nice powder, and dream to work with, and I hope Nosler includes the Ramshot line in their next book. I am going to take a hard look at ramshot hunter, and biggame also.
AD

I assume you realize you will gain accuracy with your bullet extended towards the lands as far as your magazine will allow with weatherby cartridges. Based on what I got with a 24 inch vanguard 257 wby, I wouldnt be concerned about loosing velocity. That really has nothing to do with velocity anyway.

Good Luck!
AD

Hi HiredGun,
very impressive results! I'll start reloading the 257Weath/110gr AccuBond next weeks. I want to try Norma MRP, Norma MRP2, RL25, as well as Vithavuori N560. After I will get first results, I will tell you more.

Did you already try out Ramshot powders, like AggieDog suggested? Did you have any other results? Please tell me.

I' also interested in your results with the Partitions (100gr ?) Would be happy to hear from you!

LuckyHook

hate to be a kill joy but doesn't 75 gr. of RL-25 put you at about 73,000 psi. Speed is nice but you face has to be more important than that. Just a thought.

Back