115g VLD"s at 400 yards

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Finally was able to get some longer distance shooting in this morning. I was mainly concentrating on the 115g VLD's out of my 25-06. Previous testing at 100 yards with RL-22 showed mediocre results, however they were 5 shot groups. I went back to 3 shot groups as this is a hunting rifle. 50g RL-22 shot the best at 100 yards, so I decided to load a few there, and also at 50.5g. I am using Win brass, Fed 210 primer, and bullet seated right at the lands. I also loaded up 1 load that duplicated the 50g RL-22 load, but the only difference I did was a primer swap which happened to be the CCI 200. I figured that might or might not help, only way to know is to try!! I"m glad I did :grin:

I also shot the 300 WBY w/200g AB w/83g IMR-7828. I pulled the 1 shot which was low, and was not to happy with that. Might work on this load at 400 a little later. The group was 5.5".

50g RL-22 w/fed 210 shot right at 2 1/4" which is just barely over 1/2 MOA.

50.5g RL-22 w/fed 210 shot a whopping 8" which is just plain horrible for this distance, which is 2 MOA. Amazing what .5g powder difference can do.

50g RL-22 w/CCI 200 shot right at 1" which is just plain awesome. 1/4 MOA at 400 yards, I'll take it any day of the week. I just may use these 115g VLD's afterall!!!

I didn't cronograph this morning as I was just shooting for groups/accuracy. I'll definately be loading them up with the CCI 200 primer and checking velocity, however with the Fed 210 and 50g RL-22, there right at 3025fps. Curious to see how the velocity changes with just the primer swap as accuracy was cut in half!!!

20ghf9t.jpg

25tx0r8.jpg

Sounds good & I am glad you discovered this primer advantage for your load. I would like to try the 115 on some Big Game in the future.

Nice shooting Remmy. The CCI 200's seem to have done the trick.
That is quite a difference with just a primer swap.

I had a similar thing happen to me this spring. My 50 gr BT 22-250 Rem load used Federal GM210M primers. I tried the CCI BR2 Large Rifle primers and my group went from the .5' to .3xx" at 100 yds. Not a huge difference, but still that best group I ever shot with the 50 gr BT.
It makes one want to take a closer look at CCI. :wink:

JD338

Its definately a huge plus for me as I cant find any Federal primers around locally anymore. All bimart and sportsmans has are CCI's and Wins. I"m not a huge fan of Win primers either...So that leaves me with CCI's.

Wins have never been a bad primer for me, just that I've always had good luck with Feds and CCI's. Now that I cant find Feds and I'm running low, its nice to know that CCI shoots just as good, if not better!!

remingtonman_25_06":3u0jgpqw said:
Its definately a huge plus for me as I cant find any Federal primers around locally anymore. All bimart and sportsmans has are CCI's and Wins. I"m not a huge fan of Win primers either...So that leaves me with CCI's.

Wins have never been a bad primer for me, just that I've always had good luck with Feds and CCI's. Now that I cant find Feds and I'm running low, its nice to know that CCI shoots just as good, if not better!!

Thats exactly how I ended up trying the CCI's.

JD338

Great shooting Remmy.

I found the CCI cap to be a little on the cold side......
In my 25-06 I gained about 150 fps by going to wIN caps. This was in 1993 so I do not know if they have chaned them at all since then.

Same with me and CCI BR primers lost 90+ FPS over using winchester primers, they seem to be a colder primer as pop mentioned. Also my 110 accu bonds performed better with the less exspensive win primers versus the higher cost of CCI BR, guns are sure different.

I cronoed and shot the 50g RL-22 load with CCI primer again at 400 and they lost only 25fps as compared to Fed 210's. There running right at 3000fps. When I shot them this time at 400 yards, they grouped at 2" instead of 1" the previous outing. I'm still happy with 2" at 400 as thats 1/2 MOA.

On a side note. I loaded some 115 VLD's with Retumbo and 58.5g shot a 2.5" at 400 yards and was going 3250fps. Sooooo I think I might work with the Retumbo load since its giving around 1/2 MOA, but its giving me 250fps faster MV then RL-22. That extra 250fps really bumps the ballistics up!!!

I use LRMag primers in all my loads for the 25/06. Your change follows what I have seen with the 25/06.Rick.

SEE my results with Retumbo at "A day at the range"

Back