120 Grain Partitions in 257 Roberts

TNrifleman

Beginner
Oct 22, 2005
Guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I've enjoyed reading the questions and answers here.

I recently purchased a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts. It is an older tang safety model that is in great shape. I want to use it to hunt whitetail deer. I have cases and a die set, but the only 25 calliber bullets I have are a box of 120 grain Partitions and a box of 120 grail solid base (not ballistiic tips). I understand the 100 grain Partitions or BTs are recommended for deer. Will the 120s work well too? Since I have them, I'd like to use them if they will work. I'm really looking forward to shooting this rifle. My initial range session went quite well, with tiny groups first at 50 yards, then at 100 also. This was with 100 and 117 grain bullets. I'm a Nosler fan, and my preferred hunting bullets are Partitions. Your comments appreciated.

My old neighbor uses 120 partitions in his 257 with excellent results. His favorite bullet. It's a real deer killer.

TNrifleman,

The 120 gr PT's will work just fine in the 257 Bob. The lighter bullets will give you a higher velocity and flatter trajectory.
My load for 100 gr BT or PT bullets is 45.0 grs of IMR4350, R-P case and Federal GM215M primers. This load shoots in the .5's in my M700 Classic.
This is a Max load so start low and work up.

Regards,

JD338

I always thought the 120g was designed more for the 257 WM. I shot them out of my 25-06, but never did get a chance to shoot an animal with them. I did shoot them into wet newspaper to see the performance and they did not mushroom as well as I thought they would have. I think the 115g or 100g is a better choice for the lower speed of your Roberts. JMO.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to load some of the 120 Partitions and see how well they shoot in the Ruger. Most of my shots at deer are about 100 yards or less here in east Tennessee. I intend to try the 100 grain Partitions also. I was concerned that the 120s might be constructed too heavily for Roberts velocities and whitetail deer. I guess that is the great thing about them, they work well within a wide velocity band.

You might try reloder 22 or H-4831sc with those 120 gr bulllets. You can get recipes off the respective web sites. Great powders for that size bullet. You s hould be able to get better than 2900 fps with these loads.

Bruce,

Thanks for the input on the 120s. I loaded 20 of the Solid base bullets over 38 grains of IMR 4350 as a starting load. I'll look at using H4831 sc also, since I have some of that powder on hand.

Back