125 gr 308 Win load

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today's handloading project! I've put this combo together before for whitetail deer & coyotes. Accurate and speedy.

50 gr Varget
125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

I'm using some once-fired Federal Gold Medal brass and Federal match primers and loading on the little arbor press:
UibHE7Pl.jpg

Delivers a bit over 3100 fps, and usually about 1/2 MOA accuracy from the 24" 1:12 Krieger barrel. Rough on coyotes and very effective on deer.

RL-15 is just as good as Varget in this application.

The 308 Green Machine, back in the original HS Precision stock, and with the new 6x SWFA scope. I like it better in this lighter stock, for hunting. Liking the scope so far too.
VSMyc4vl.jpg

Regards, Guy

Certainly enough velocity to reach out, and the 125 grain BT is a well-constructed bullet. That'll work.

I anticipate some use of the 308 Green Machine for coyotes this winter. :)

Guy

Very cool, you should make a trip over to thin some of our coyotes down! Our sheep would thank you!!!

Palouser":8q2jtwfc said:
Very cool, you should make a trip over to thin some of our coyotes down! Our sheep would thank you!!!

Great idea! (y)

SJB358":1bqhv1v8 said:
Very cool Guy! That’s a cool combo.

It's fun to shoot. Not much recoil from the rifle, with that varmint contour barrel.

Guy

That sounds like a great combination. I'll bet it works great on whitetail deer. What kind of results have you had on deer with that bullet?

I bet too that's a very light recoiling combination. Not a lot of powder, light bullet, and heavy barrel. Should be fun to shoot and an effective combo. (y)

NYDAN":2bo47ggz said:
That sounds like a great combination. I'll bet it works great on whitetail deer. What kind of results have you had on deer with that bullet?

Bang - Flop.

I haven't used it much. Started loading it for a young lady who was recoil shy and had a lightweight 308 Win. She punched through the whitetail buck shoulder blades, dropped him where he stood. The flattened bullet was recovered from right under the off-side skin.

Guy

Guy Miner":2p88sc4t said:
NYDAN":2p88sc4t said:

Bang - Flop.

I haven't used it much. Started loading it for a young lady who was recoil shy and had a lightweight 308 Win. She punched through the whitetail buck shoulder blades, dropped him where he stood. The flattened bullet was recovered from right under the off-side skin.

Guy

Yep. That will do!

Dan

Those 125 BT were very accurate in my 308 too. I think for deer, coyote and antelope they would work great. The ballistic drop tables are pretty good on them too out to reasonable hunting distances. The Green Machine is looking good for hunting in the original stock. Good luck.

Exact load I came up with for my back up rifle on my 'Lope hunt a couple of years ago. Great combo !

6mm Remington":8d0v9kpy said:
What's the scope Guy? I forget what you put on it.

Low budget SWFA 6x "Super Sniper" with mil reticle. Kinda like it so far.

Guy

Guy Miner":3txlljwe said:
6mm Remington":3txlljwe said:
What's the scope Guy? I forget what you put on it.

Low budget SWFA 6x "Super Sniper" with mil reticle. Kinda like it so far.

Guy

They are darned good for the money.

Palouser":3av16msj said:
Does your rail have 20 MOA built in?

No - it's a flat rail from Badger Ord. This was my SWAT rifle for 12 years and I was only interested in 600 yards, at the outside. It's worked well for many years.

Guy

Back