125 gr Ballistic Tip performance .308 diameter

Bigfoot

Beginner
Oct 2, 2005
http://www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

Could I get your input on the BT performance on this link? They seperated badly, was this an older design? It doesn't fit with the reviews that I read on Midways site. Does anybody have better pics of BT performance at medium/low velocities?

I want exits on medium sized deer, impact velocities will be from 2400-1800. What do you think?

I've read here that the BTs start to expand at 1600 IIRC, is this a correct statement? At what velocity does the caliber double? What diameter should I expect at 1800 fps without hitting bone?

Will you offer an 125 AB?

First off, all the bullets in that test weighed 180 grains, not 125. Second, an impact velocity of 3100 fps is very high, and not realistic for most hunting. Third, wet newsprint is a poor substitute for animal flesh, IME it is too tough. Results can hardly be compared to the bullet's performance passing through an inch of hide and flesh, 12" of mostly air (the lungs), then another inch of flesh on the way out. As a practical, repeatable testing media it works okay, but I question the results.

Also note that many of these bullets went to pieces at 3100 fps, even expensive custom bullets like the A-Square and the Hawk; so did the Federal HiShok, the Hornady Interlokt and the Remington CoreLokt. Since we know that these latter bullets perform very well on game, we can to a degree discount the testing results.

I've used both the 125 and 150-grain BTips on deer in T/Cs. Miniumum expansion velocity (not double diameter, but enough to cause some tissue damage) is around 1800+ fps IMO. The 150s at impact velocities of 2000-2200 fps give great expansion, impressive tissue distruction and pass-throughs on all side shots. Two deer shot at over 200 yards (2350fps MV) had penetration from sternum to ham. The bullets were in two pieces but touching each other indicating that they penetrated all the way as a single bullet. Bottom line, at MVs of around 2400 fps you will be most impressed.

Thanks LoneStar. I should have mentioned that the tested bullets were all 180s. Since my search showed me that all BTs open at the same velocities I assumed that all BTs share the same jacket thickness and construction.

I don't care about 3100 fps, only 2400-1800. I'm sure you noticed that all these bullets were tested down to 1400, and some of the 180 BTs shed their jackets even then. They all shed their jackets at 1600.

The seahook.com test wasn't the main point of my post, as I assumed that it could be explained. But I would like my mind to be put at ease regarding core seperation at the velocities that I have in mind. This is also why I asked about the possibility of a 125 gr AB.

So Lonestar, are you recommending the Nosler 125gr BT at .308 Winchester and even .30-30 velosities?

I'm asking because I like the idea.

One of my boys used the 120's for whitetail and antelope out of his 7m-08. Excellent penetration and good expansion (about 2" exit holes). This was with light loads and velocities of about 2600fps out of the muzzle. The whitetail was at about 70 yds and the antelope at about 250 yds.

I know this is not a 30 cal but I do not see why the results should be any different.

Long

I have used the .30 Caliber - 125gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a .30-30 Ackley Improved T/C Contender Super 14 with excellent results. Muzzle velocity was 2683 FPS, and the Buck that stands out in my mind was shot at 266 yards. The buck was quartering towards me at more of an angle than I thought. The bullet entered behind the near side shoulder (barely missing the shoulder) taking out one lung, and angling through exiting through the meaty portion of the off side hind quarter (without hitting the hip bone). The buck dropped at the shot, and never moved but did require a finishing shot when I got to him.

I have also used the same bullet in .30-30 Winchester Super 14 T/C Contenders, but never did shoot a Whitetail with that combination.

Larry

I use 125gr BTs in my 308x1.5 Barnes. Approx. 2600fps and they have killed all the whitetails they encountered. I also load them in a 308 with an 18" barrel, haven't had a whitetail live through one of those either. I recently acquired a short barrel 300Savage and will be using them in it also.Rick.

I can't speak of bullet performance since I've only used the bullet at the range, but the Nosler 125gr. Bal. Tip is the most accurate bullet in my .308Win. In fact it's one of the few bullets that displays really good accuracy in my light Browning Micro-medallion, a 6.0lb rifle with a short, thin 20" barrel that has a barrel twist of 1 in 12". Bestwishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back