129g hornady interbond vs 129 nosler ablr

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
Wanting to shoot a bonded bullet in my savage 6.5 creedmoor that has a really long throat. Have tried 130 accubonds and cannot get the consistency I am looking for. Of the 2 which would you try. Shots will be mostly deer and a hog every once and awhile. Shots will range from 30 to around 250 yards. Mainly 100 or less. Shoulder shots are what I like to take. I have imr 4451 h4350 rl26 for powder. Of course I would like all the velocity I can get out of this 22 inch barrel. The reason for the bonded bullets I want pass throughs with exit holes.

Thank you Michael

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Long throat? Barnes bullets usually shoot well with a long jump. Swift Sciroccos are rumored to like a big jump, as well. I've heard mixed reports about the Interbond and ABLR, but don't have enough experience myself to say whether or not they tend to shoot well, or even better, with a long jump.

I've also never used any of these bullets on game, but the Interbond and Swift are generally accepted to be some of the more stout hunting bullets. There was a test in water jugs with the 129 Interbond in the bullet testing sub-forum that impressed me. And everyone knows that a Barnes generally holds together and penetrates well. A LRAB might potentially not penetrate quite like the others, since they're designed to be a little softer to help expansion at lower velocity, but they're still a bonded bullet.

I will say this, though, Litz testing showed the 130 Scirocco to have a G1 BC of .491, and the 129 Interbond .518. Besides the Long Range AccuBond line, those two bullets are really stand-outs for bonded hunting bullets for their SD. I believe the 129 LRAB was around .550 in his testing, for reference.

Thanks Jason. Yes this gun has a long throat or a lot of freebore whichever way you want to say it. I am leaning towards trying the interbond. I looked at the swift also. Did a little looking and there was a lot of complaints with trouble getting the swift to shoot. Just not really sure which one I want to try. Thank you for the reply.

Michael, my wifes WBY, Camilla in 6.5 creedmoor shoots the 129g ablr in 1/2 inch groups with max load of rl17 from Noslers manual. 2830FPS with a 20 in. barrel.

Michael C. Smith":2igm2q63 said:
Thanks Jason. Yes this gun has a long throat or a lot of freebore whichever way you want to say it. I am leaning towards trying the interbond. I looked at the swift also. Did a little looking and there was a lot of complaints with trouble getting the swift to shoot. Just not really sure which one I want to try. Thank you for the reply.

The Interbond, ABLR and Swifts have all shot excellent for me at .1 from rifling. That is in a few different rifles and cartridges, but the point is they all like some just so just might be real good if you do have a long throat.

SJB358":1s6bw8j1 said:
Michael C. Smith":1s6bw8j1 said:

The Interbond, ABLR and Swifts have all shot excellent for me at .1 from rifling. That is in a few different rifles and cartridges, but the point is they all like some just so just might be real good if you do have a long throat.
Ok I guess I just need to make up my mind which one I want to try.

Michael C. Smith":3vlq84w6 said:
Wanting to shoot a bonded bullet in my savage 6.5 creedmoor that has a really long throat. Have tried 130 accubonds and cannot get the consistency I am looking for. Of the 2 which would you try. Shots will be mostly deer and a hog every once and awhile. Shots will range from 30 to around 250 yards. Mainly 100 or less. Shoulder shots are what I like to take. I have imr 4451 h4350 rl26 for powder. Of course I would like all the velocity I can get out of this 22 inch barrel. The reason for the bonded bullets I want pass throughs with exit holes.

Thank you Michael

Michael - a few thoughts that came to me while reading your post:

Your shots are at modest range. "Mainly 100 or less" and a max of around 250. So, high velocity and flat trajectory really aren't all that important.

You like shoulder shots.

You want exit holes.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the 140 gr Nosler Partition.

Sometimes bonded bullets will open so wide, that they actually limit penetration, though I haven't seen that in the case of the standard AccuBond. I understand that the ABLR is a "softer" bullet and expands readily.

The Partition almost always exits. And yes, it can be superbly accurate. I was just thinking, dangerous for an ol' Jarhead like me, that with modest range shoulder shots on wild game, and wanting an exit... there may be no better choice than a medium or heavy for caliber Nosler Partition.

A newer bullet design worth considering is the E-Tip, which is very long , and might reach deeper in that long throat your rifle has. They have no lead core, and tend to penetrate extremely well.

Just a few thoughts, leading my mind to a different solution than you have proposed.

Regards, Guy

For shots on deer/pigs out to 250-300 yards.... where you’re looking for exits.... I’d go 120 TTSX or 127 LRX. I had a 129 ABLR not exit a coyote at 150 yards (2800 fps launch). While the ABLRs are “bonded”.... they’re aweful soft.

I’ve shot the 127 LRX out to 1/2 Mile out of my wife’s 20” Tikka .260... they shoot very well.... I bet you don’t catch one in a deer.

I've found the longer 6.5 projectiles very tolerant of bullet jump. In fact, in my rifle- the 143 ELD-X and 140AB shoot better with 0.060 jump and up rather than closer to the lands. My Barrett is also chambered deep with a 3" mag box, but I have no problems seating bullets to book length and getting great accuracy.

I'll also offer that at the mild speeds the 6.5CM generates, bonded/mono bullets are probably not that ideal. While I like the AB, TTSX, ETip- etc.... those tough bullets aren't needed when the impact speeds drop.

For what you're looking for- I'd suggest a long, heavy, cup and core or a Partition. I've seen a number of critters taken with the 143 ELDX and the 130gr PT. Exits on them all. I shot a caribou at 339yds with mine and it exited on a quartering shot. No flies on that.

Guy Miner":2vxqu2ow said:
Michael C. Smith":2vxqu2ow said:

Thank you Michael

Michael - a few thoughts that came to me while reading your post:

Your shots are at modest range. "Mainly 100 or less" and a max of around 250. So, high velocity and flat trajectory really aren't all that important.

You like shoulder shots.

You want exit holes.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the 140 gr Nosler Partition.

Sometimes bonded bullets will open so wide, that they actually limit penetration, though I haven't seen that in the case of the standard AccuBond. I understand that the ABLR is a "softer" bullet and expands readily.

The Partition almost always exits. And yes, it can be superbly accurate. I was just thinking, dangerous for an ol' Jarhead like me, that with modest range shoulder shots on wild game, and wanting an exit... there may be no better choice than a medium or heavy for caliber Nosler Partition.

A newer bullet design worth considering is the E-Tip, which is very long , and might reach deeper in that long throat your rifle has. They have no lead core, and tend to penetrate extremely well.

Just a few thoughts, leading my mind to a different solution than you have proposed.

Regards, Guy
Thank you for the reply. I have the 125 partion on the bench now and haven't been able to get them to shoot. The best constancy I could get was around 1.5 at 100. Some of the group's were worse than that. Was trying to stay with the 130 class bullets or lighter to be able to kept the velocity up. That was one of the reason I was thinking of trying the ablr was because they would open fast like a non boned bullet bit should retain enough weight to drive on through.

It isn’t the weight that drives them through... it’s the shape. I’ve seen bonded bullets turn into big wads of lead and copper. I pulled a 250 grain .338 AccuBond out of a small Mule Deer buck this year. Dude shot it with a .338 Win Mag at about 70 yards... that bullet only went through about 12” of deer before it stopped... and it looked like a wad of bubblegum. Way “overexpanded” if you ask me.

Soft “bonded” bullets are the WORST penetrators as far as I’m concerned. I bet you’d get more exits shooting a 120 NBT than you would a 129 ABLR.

Bonded... only means the core and jacket won’t separate... not that it will penetrate better. The Partition looses weight, but punches through because of the maintained shape/shank.

I really like both the interbond and AccuBond bullets in my various rifles. I also shoot the partitions and have never had a failure with any. My concern with Hornady is they temporarily discontinued production of their interbond citing production costs. Some of the calibers and weights are now available but I see a trend with Hornady for long-range gong banging bullets.
Nosler has stayed with their exceptional line up. I use the ballistic tips for spring/summer target practice then switch to the AccuBond for elk hunting. Just some thoughts.

Songdog":2riq2rmm said:
It isn’t the weight that drives them through... it’s the shape. I’ve seen bonded bullets turn into big wads of lead and copper. I pulled a 250 grain .338 AccuBond out of a small Mule Deer buck this year. Dude shot it with a .338 Win Mag at about 70 yards... that bullet only went through about 12” of deer before it stopped... and it looked like a wad of bubblegum. Way “overexpanded” if you ask me.

Wow, that’s crazy SD! The AccuBond has always penetrated really well for me, usually about the same as a Partition. It’s almost hard to believe it only made it through 12” of a deer. I’ve pinned both front legs on bull Elk and deer and haven’t grabbed one yet.

Do you have a picture you could put up of that bullet?

I’ll take wide expanding Bullets over straight penetration.. I used to be the opposite but seeing how well the BBC, Scirocco, Interbond and Accubonds work I like what I’ve seen. If they are still in an animal they are usually against the hide AND most of the animals don’t make many tracks.

No Scotty I don’t..... but I may be able to get one. The first morning of my hunt a young man near me shot said deer with said rifle/bullet. He was quite happy that I found the bullet, and said he was going to clean it up and keep it. I bet that sucker was close to an inch at its widest point.

That same day, I ran a pair of 7mm 160 Accubonds through a big buck.... the second of which went through about 36” of deer.

I like the heavier for caliber AccuBond, I think they’re a wonderful compromise. But, IME... they don’t penetrate Lake a Partition or a TTSX.

I have absolutely no use for the ABLR.... in any caliber.

I’ll have to disagree on the “wide expanding bullets. I’d rather have a Partition-ish bullet. One that sheds some weight, and allows the mushroom to peel back against the shank. I’m also becoming a big fan of the TTSX and LRX lines from Barnes.

If I had to pick one bullet for all my .260 hunting needs.... it would certainly be the Barnes 127 LRX. They shoot very well, will hold together and penetrate, the BC is solid, and they definitely show some good expansion on smaller stuff like coyotes. I like the 130 AccuBond a lot too, as well as the 139 Lapua Scenar.... but neither have the all-around capability I see out of the 127 LRX.

Songdog":3w0tfic9 said:
No Scotty I don’t..... but I may be able to get one. The first morning of my hunt a young man near me shot said deer with said rifle/bullet. He was quite happy that I found the bullet, and said he was going to clean it up and keep it. I bet that sucker was close to an inch at its widest point.

That same day, I ran a pair of 7mm 160 Accubonds through a big buck.... the second of which went through about 36” of deer.

I like the heavier for caliber AccuBond, I think they’re a wonderful compromise. But, IME... they don’t penetrate Lake a Partition or a TTSX.

I have absolutely no use for the ABLR.... in any caliber.

I’ll have to disagree on the “wide expanding bullets. I’d rather have a Partition-ish bullet. One that sheds some weight, and allows the mushroom to peel back against the shank. I’m also becoming a big fan of the TTSX and LRX lines from Barnes.

If I had to pick one bullet for all my .260 hunting needs.... it would certainly be the Barnes 127 LRX. They shoot very well, will hold together and penetrate, the BC is solid, and they definitely show some good expansion on smaller stuff like coyotes. I like the 130 AccuBond a lot too, as well as the 139 Lapua Scenar.... but neither have the all-around capability I see out of the 127 LRX.

SD, that would be cool to see it.

I think we’re pretty close on Bullets for the most part, but I get what you’re saying and it makes good sense to me. I’ve run a few of the wider expanding Bullets into things the past few years and really liked the destruction left behind and short recoveries. They have all either got caught in the far side at the skin or blown thru. Each case was the same. The same things you’ve mentioned about the 160 Accubonds are the same I’ve seen myself. Dead animals and a lot of penetration. I run my mouth about it being my favorite 7mm hunting bullet. It’s worked so good I had to try something else.

I’m coming around a little to those Tipped varieties of Barnes. They seem to open up fairly wide and penetrate like a drill. I’ve got some of those 127’s I should give a shot in my Creed or Swede.

Songdog":3qxpqond said:

I have never used a monometal bullet like the Barnes, they are tough. Would using Barnes or monometal bullets cause heavy fouling on barrels? I hear they cause fouling if using those bullets heavily and cleaning is needed.

Mark.... Once the TSX version of the Barnes Bullets came out, the fouling was pretty much eliminated.

Scotty.... After seeing some stuff this year from both the Accubonds and the TTSX... I’ve moved to the Barnes in the “smaller” guns like the .260 and 7/08. When you’ve got more horsepower... you’ve got more options.... but these rifles get shot at big game by my wife and children, so I need the bullet to be a bit more versitile. Things are a little different when you hand a rifle to a kid for them to shoot something with.

Note on Barnes.... I drove a 140 TSX through a bull elk this year.... that little bullet shattered both scapulas, and kept on trucking. Bull went under 30 yards, blowing chunks of lung out his nose. I was using our “kid gun”... an 18” barreled 7/08 running factory Federal 140 TTSX loads.... Muzzle Velocity was a scant 2600 fps. I would not have expected better results with ANY caliber firing ANY bullet.

Songdog":8dxvkjf7 said:
Mark.... Once the TSX version of the Barnes Bullets came out, the fouling was pretty much eliminated.

Scotty.... After seeing some stuff this year from both the Accubonds and the TTSX... I’ve moved to the Barnes in the “smaller” guns like the .260 and 7/08. When you’ve got more horsepower... you’ve got more options.... but these rifles get shot at big game by my wife and children, so I need the bullet to be a bit more versitile. Things are a little different when you hand a rifle to a kid for them to shoot something with.

Note on Barnes.... I drove a 140 TSX through a bull elk this year.... that little bullet shattered both scapulas, and kept on trucking. Bull went under 30 yards, blowing chunks of lung out his nose. I was using our “kid gun”... an 18” barreled 7/08 running factory Federal 140 TTSX loads.... Muzzle Velocity was a scant 2600 fps. I would not have expected better results with ANY caliber firing ANY bullet.

For sure, that makes a ton of good sense. I wasn’t totally tracking at first but the 6.5’s and 7-08 sized animals make great sense to get a bullet that’ll go deep.

My daughter has a little 7-08 she shoots with 120’s at 2500.. it wouldn’t be too much increase at all to jump to a 120 TTSX and a little more speed to make me completely comfortable to take her first Elk.

It is amazing how well they work. I love big guns but the little ones are pretty darned good when used with the great Bullets we have today.

Yeah Scotty.... it’s funny how hunting with my wife and kids over the last couple years has altered my approach to things like rifles and Bullets and loads. Somehow, it’s way more fun....

I bet a 7mm 120 at 2600 or so would work very well on elks inside about 200 yards or so.... and not beat a kid to death.

Songdog":2vjpd2zv said:

SD, good to know. I am curious to see how the TTSX performs in my .300 Win Mag. It's tough to replace my current load, 180 AccuBond moving at 3175 fps. It's still a fine shooting load with .5 to .75 inch groups at 300.

I am sure the TTSX will punch hard on a bull nilgai. What bullet weight do you recommend? Speed?

Back