130 AB's in 270 Win/270 WSM

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I have developed a very good accuracy load using 130 BT's in both rounds but bought a box of the 130 AB's with the WSM in mind, thinking they might offset any "fragility" issues with the BT at the increased velocities of the magnum round. This is geared toward hunting whitetails or similar sized animals.

Has anyone shot anything with them from either round and, if so, what kind of performance did you have?

Ron

I have not personally used an AccuBond on game yet, but I had a friend shoot a very nice 6x6 bull elk at 300 yards with 2-180gr. Accbonds. He recovered one that looked text-book. I think you are correct in choosing the AccuBond more for game. I personally don't care for the BT for game although it's a great and accurate bullet, and for whitetails the BT would probably work just fine. I think you might lose a little less meat to bloodshot using the AccuBond then you would the Ballistic Tip. You might also get lucky and find that your current load and seating depth used with the Ballistic Tip just might work with the AccuBond, and you won't have to re-invent the wheel again. Of course drop the load down a couple grains from what it is now and work up just to be safe.

I load 130 gr. Partitions for a buddy in his 270 and used Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers and H4831SC and it sure shoots nice with them. Good luck.
David

Thanks, David.

I've had great results with Ballistic Tips on deer but have used them primarily out of "standard" non-magnum cartridges, with the exception of one year when I used a 7mm Rem Mag with 150's. The 100 BT out of a 25-06 is my go to gun/bullet combo. I know other hunters have reported bad results, and maybe my time's coming, but so far I'm very happy.

The only AccuBond I've used on game thus far was a 130 out of a 264 Win Mag. It worked VERY well to say the least. I loaded some in 300 Win Mag/WSM for an elk trip but didn't get to shoot anything with them.

I'm anxious to try the 90 AB's out of that oddball round you talked me into........what was it? 6mm or something like that............. :lol:

Ron

rjm158":1zvn7s5f said:
Thanks, David.

I've had great results with Ballistic Tips on deer but have used them primarily out of "standard" non-magnum cartridges, with the exception of one year when I used a 7mm Rem Mag with 150's. The 100 BT out of a 25-06 is my go to gun/bullet combo. I know other hunters have reported bad results, and maybe my time's coming, but so far I'm very happy.

The only AccuBond I've used on game thus far was a 130 out of a 264 Win Mag. It worked VERY well to say the least. I loaded some in 300 Win Mag/WSM for an elk trip but didn't get to shoot anything with them.

I'm anxious to try the 90 AB's out of that oddball round you talked me into........what was it? 6mm or something like that............. :lol:

Ron

It was me that talked you into that! I represent that remark sir. You will love the 6mm I promise.

I switched from 130 gr BT's to 140 gr AB's last season in my .270 WIN. I have been extremely impressed with the performance of AB's on deer so far. Just loaded some last night.

Shot a couple boatloads of deer and antelope with the 130-140 BT's.

A couple of my .270's group better with the 140's so that's what I usually shoot.

I have 0 experience with the 130gr AB in the WSM, but did use the 140gr AB in the WSM for elk and deer and it worked fine. The 130 would have worked the same I believe. I did use the 130gr Hornady Interbond for the WSM and that worked great as well. I think you will be in fine shape with the 130 and WSM. You will have some excellent trajectory and speed should be in the 3300's pretty easily. It should hammer deer. Matter of fact, if I only hunted deer and deer alone, I would look at the 130gr PT or AB for the WSM and be a really happy hunter. Scotty

AB's are stone cold killers. I've had 1 shot boom flops on elk, several deer, pigs, antelope, you name it with every AccuBond I've shot out of my .270 WSM with 140's. I use the 250 AB in my .338 RUM and have taken 4 elk with it, out to 440 yards and all 1 shot boom/flops. It's an amazing bullet and I haven't seen 1 properly placed that failed yet.

I don't shoot the WSM yet :wink: but I have shot the 270 win for over 40 years. I have shot both the 130gr. Partition and the AccuBond on Elk and the same results with both and that is Elk in the freezer with lots of suasage :).
I use IMR 4350 powder which some people say is the second best powder for the 270 win but I have never changed in 40 years of loading. My Pop told me if it is not broke don't fix it :mrgreen:
Seriously though both seem to work well in the 270 and you will have no trouble.

Blessings,
Dan

I will admit up front that my experience with this bullet is limited to only two deer, but they went straight down and neither bullet was recovered.

Back