140 BTs

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Pleasant morning here so I got to the range early. Windy but not too hot.
Rifle is a box store Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor with the Nikon 3-9 scope that came on it.
Cooled the barrel with the Chamber Chiller for about 5 minutes between groups.

Starting book load of H4350 put three 140 grain BTs in .55” at 100 yards.

Middle book load spread them to 1.89” for three.

I had an extra piece of brass so the last group with the book max load put 4 in .57” unless I missed the paper completely with one.

Brass all looked good after firing so should be no issues with the max load for a hunting load if I can get it centered and printing about 2” high at 100 yards.
5a1b1ae6fc595bc89628ac1c1e617664.jpg

ca22dcae7797daa40eb0c16f68b9ad4c.jpg

3d794c99522fd6c909546bad2903ae84.jpg

5c17a6e9d7c3dac3477ec7c1ea1ccc61.jpg

abead7ad1a51a5ea15d96a18ae1de51f.jpg

2cad886632d66de42a8cde486b334655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had never heard of Chamber Chiller, but I certainly understand the purpose. How do you like it?

Nothing wrong with those groups, you are almost ready for deer season!

That book max load is looking good! I'd go with it! I'm also curious as to how you like the chamber chiller? I am looking at the magnetospeed version after cooking my 7-300 mag barrel in the competition...

Chamber Chiller works okay. Especially on a cooler day. Would be even better if it had a bigger fan to move more air.
When it’s running I can feel the warm air leaving the barrel.
Also seems the throat portion of the barrel cools faster for whatever that is worth.
I’d get the most powerful one I could if there are different ones available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderman, excellent shooting. I don't think any missed in the last target. That load is really cooking.

Kevin

Alderman, excellent shooting. I don't think any missed in the last target. That load is really cooking.

Kevin

I've used chamber chilling devices and was under-impressed with their performance for the cost. Recently I bought a cordless air mattress inflator (Amazon) and added a piece of flexible hose (similar to surgical tubing but larger in diameter). This works MUCH better than the devices made for cooling chambers and is cheaper. No batteries are needed because it is USB rechargeable. The unit is small and could easily fit in a coffee cup.

I just slide the end of the rubber hose into the chamber and push the "on" button to start the cooling. You can feel the air rushing out the muzzle. Several shooters at our club now use a similar setup.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Charlie-NY":2k6p6f6b said:
I've used chamber chilling devices and was under-impressed with their performance for the cost. Recently I bought a cordless air mattress inflator (Amazon) and added a piece of flexible hose (similar to surgical tubing but larger in diameter). This works MUCH better than the devices made for cooling chambers and is cheaper. No batteries are needed because it is USB rechargeable. The unit is small and could easily fit in a coffee cup.

I just slide the end of the rubber hose into the chamber and push the "on" button to start the cooling. You can feel the air rushing out the muzzle. Several shooters at our club now use a similar setup.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Good tip, thanks Charlie.

Back