Starline Srp 6.5 creed brass

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
Anyone having problems with it? I bought them due to scarcity of large rifle primers. It seems when I get close to book max loads, I start having weird pressure signs with dismal velocities. Pierced primers, cratered primers, zero case head expansion, doesn't seem to be sticky on extraction. However it is in a 22" custom AR10. No problems with lrp brass but still way slow with max book loads. Was running a max book load of IMR4831 with 140 Bergers, could not find 140's so got some 135 Bergers, did not change die settings, seated to max mag length. Did switch to a max book charge of H4350, every round fired has either cratered or pierced the primer. Gonna clean the barrel and start over. Just looking to run a 140 at about 2700, and a 135 at 2740. The 140's shot incredible to 600 yards but only clocked 2575, thanks for reading, thoughts?

I use the same brass in my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor and haven't had any issues with it. Probably have 5-6 loadings on some of it but the primer pockets are still tight. Bought this brass about 4 years ago.

JD338

What primer are you using? When shooting 6BR I used a CCI 450 Mag primer because some say it will withstand more pressure and I was loading on the top end. Never had any issues with pierced primers. Smaller amount of powder than what you're loading but just a thought. Dan.

Federal match srp's, tried some staball 6.5, still piercing primers at anything around 2700 fps with 135's, velocity is creeping up with slower burning powders, going to give 7828ssc a whirl

Federal match srp's, tried some staball 6.5, still piercing primers at anything around 2700 fps with 135's, velocity is creeping up with slower burning powders, going to give 7828ssc a whirl
Federal primers are considered to soft for AR type rifles unless you get the AR small rifle primer I have a brick of those and some of those starline brass for my 6.5 but never tried them yet. I did get some pierced primers as well in the large rifle when using the federal match primers. I will switch to CCI going forward except that I will use the AR federal primers when I ever decide to try the small primer cases.

Measure your firing pin diameter, bet it is .075"

If you don't have a small HP diameter firing pin, you will solve some of the problems with pierced primers in the large frame AR by using one.

Have no problems with 140 Bergers, or 135 atips, just the 135 Berger using the same primers. Think it's seating depth related

I didn't have issues with certain bullets either, but when the threshold was reached, it became a problem.

Measure the pin, it will probably save you a lot of heartache and components.

I didn't have issues with certain bullets either, but when the threshold was reached, it became a problem.

Measure the pin, it will probably save you a lot of heartache and components.
once you replace the pin and bushed the bolt can you still use LR primed cases?

I suppose due to higher SAAMI pressures?
Exactly my thoughts. I ran a pretty hot load thru the 260, no issues, switched the barrel to a 6 Creedmoor and pierced primers, craters and even blown primers. Load was a factory Federal blue box, velocity was all over the place. Started getting wonky cycling issues. Reached out to Slash about his heavy buffer system, cured the popped primers and cycling issues. Spoke to Aero about the firing pin diameter and they wanted me to switch to the AR primers. I called JP and Toolcraft, ordered a nickel Boron BCG from Toolcraft and the standard Nitrided HP BCG from JP. Both worked immediately. I think I measured the pin in the standard BCG and it was .005" longer.

I have a lot of love for the large frame AR, thinking about building a case rifle system, 22 Creedmoor, 6mm Creedmoor 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor and a fast twist 308, would cover 99% of what I hunt now days.

Back