.270 Starline brass to .25-06

magothy72

Beginner
Feb 26, 2021
Last fall when I decided to get another .25-06 the supply of brass was looking grim. I knew I had a bit of time to wait for the rifle. I ordered some .270 brass from Starline. I've got the rifle, got the brass, and have started sizing it. I'm wondering if the .270 would have less available volume due to case thickness and so run loads hotter due to higher pressures. I was thinking to load some of my standard loads in my usual cases for the older .26-06 and check them thru the chrony against loads in the new cases. Does this make sense ? I'd start with lower charge weights in the new brass.

I know I could do the water volume thing but it seems complicated to me and then I'd need a Quick Load, on and on. Seems like with careful testing I ought to find out what I need to know.

Anyone ever been thru this ?

Thanks

Steve

because you are necking it down the case necks may be thicker. I would back off the load from max to start with and test a few rounds. Better yet get 25-06 brass to start with :)

Divernhunter":tqlfwg7d said:
because you are necking it down the case necks may be thicker. I would back off the load from max to start with and test a few rounds. Better yet get 25-06 brass to start with :)

That's a defininate, neck thickness from larger to smaller caliber... smaller to larger is little if not at all a problem. It has to be reamed. Neck tension would be an issue if not reamed.

I necked some 270 brass down to 25-06 once when I didn't have any problems. It worked ok just remember to trim cases as the 270 is longer and start couple grains below max. Dan.

slickrem":cr7zymb7 said:
Divernhunter":cr7zymb7 said:

That's a defininate, neck thickness from larger to smaller caliber... smaller to larger is little if not at all a problem. It has to be reamed. Neck tension would be an issue if not reamed.

Nope..... that’s just plain wrong.

I’ve got a pile of 6mm Creed brass that started as 6.5 Creed.... and a bunch of .260 brass that started as 7/08 brass. Necked down with a false shoulder is the best way to create “new” brass.

I neck stuff down all the time.... and have never had turn neck.... even in custom chambers. Maybe.... if you necked som Whelen brass down to .243, or you’ve got a tight chamber... you might have some issues.

I said ream.... the inside neck diameter, not outside neck turn, big difference. Components all behave differently. What works once or twice may not work later. Heavier loads may be a problem. Heavier bullets mean more pressure. 6mm from 6.5 isn't much to be concerned about. 6.5 to 7mm is not much either. .25 to .277 is a two step, much more.

Thanks for the help. If I see anything odd I'll check in. I'll sure start lower charges. I length trim every time around, seems the only way to get consistent crimp, to me. If .25-06 wasn't running $1 plus per on goingbroker I'd sure get some. This rifle will just have to start with the resized, altho I have a few others I've started with for breaking in the barrel.

slickrem":1gtcsxbn said:
I said ream.... the inside neck diameter, not outside neck turn, big difference. Components all behave differently. What works once or twice may not work later. Heavier loads may be a problem. Heavier bullets mean more pressure. 6mm from 6.5 isn't much to be concerned about. 6.5 to 7mm is not much either. .25 to .277 is a two step, much more.

Why is it a single step process to go from .284 to .264 (- .020”).... or from .264 to .244 (- .020”).....

But it’s a “two step process” to go from .277 to .257 (- .020”)

It’s the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.... .020”.... unless my math is wrong?

Seriously.... too many folks in a hurry to make stuff way harder than it really is.

PS.... I’ve made .25-06 brass out of .270, .280, .30/06, and even some .338/06 A-Square brass.... it always worked fine, as long as I kept a false shoulder, and trimmed to min.

regardless .020 is an awful thick neck. Normally I get .012 to .010

I would be concerned about pressure issues. A false shoulder... and what is that exactly?

I have shot hundreds/thousands of 25-06 made from 30-06 and 270 brass. Had no problems and excellent accuracy. I have a neck turner and a reamer and when I have tried them, there is no brass of any quantity to be removed. Of course this is just one gun but the velocity compared to book loads of all kinds is slower, which leads me to believe lower pressure.

270 brass has a longer neck, so you will need to trim to fit your gun. I use a gauge to determine neck length and my trim to length is longer than SAAMI.

slickrem":cuhcgw32 said:

I would be concerned about pressure issues. A false shoulder... and what is that exactly?

I’m not talking about neck thickness.... I’m talking about delta in caliber.

Lots of people are overly “concerned about pressure”.... But, you’ll know when you either: A - seat the bullet.... or B: chamber the round... if something is especially snug in the neck. At that point, I’d do some research with a micrometer and caliper.

“False Shoulder”: not resizing the entire neck when necking down. You leave a couple thou, where the neck meets the shoulder, so the bolt closes snugly on the newly sized “virgin” hull. This allows one to establish positive headspace with a case that’s not sized to your chamber. Similar to what lots of folks do when they “partially full-length resize”.

Songdog":1dob5nf1 said:
slickrem":1dob5nf1 said:

I’m not talking about neck thickness.... I’m talking about delta in caliber.

Lots of people are overly “concerned about pressure”.... But, you’ll know when you either: A - seat the bullet.... or B: chamber the round... if something is especially snug in the neck. At that point, I’d do some research with a micrometer and caliper.

“False Shoulder”: not resizing the entire neck when necking down. You leave a couple thou, where the neck meets the shoulder, so the bolt closes snugly on the newly sized “virgin” hull. This allows one to establish positive headspace with a case that’s not sized to your chamber. Similar to what lots of folks do when they “partially full-length resize”.

I have sized .30-06 to .270, and the OD neck is fine, but the ID was thick and I reamed it out. Measuring the ID was what I suspected and told. What can I say? I reamed it out and went about my way. Why experience pressure and deal with it? Partially full length is one thing, this false shoulder sounds a bit ridiculous to me. Bump shoulders back by partial FL and not trim, sounds good to me and that's what I do, to each thier own. Remove a crimp from a pocket, a one time deal, just like reaming a one time deal. The end.

I prefer a none-time deal.... hence the false shoulder.

If it’s snug... I’d turn the neck, then resize, reseat, and reassess.

But I’d bet dollars to donuts, that going .270 to .25/06.... all you’ll need to do is trim.

It's hard to believe you wouldn't have chambering issues... bulging from seated bullet. SAMMI chamber shouldn't be a problem, IDK, but what about a custom chamber?

If you’ve got a bulge.... you screwed something up. That’s my point. If stuff gets too snug, do some research.

you can get a bulge from thick necks, from crooked seated bullets. Use standard off the shelf seater dies and this will happen.

If I was using 270 Win brass I'd just make sure it was trimmed to 25-06 length before sizing, load them up and shoot them. False shoulder could be used, but I wouldn't. Same datum length for both cartridges. (2.0526) Same measurement at that datum line for both cartridges. (.375) Trim to 25-06 length first, resize, load up and shoot. You shouldn't have a bit of issue.

Just before this last year's hunting season I ran 250 270 cases through a 25.06 sizing die for a friend. A bit of trimming was required but other than that everything was fine. Loaded them up for him and checked all measurements, especially the area around the outside neck. Everything was well within tolerance and they shot great.

Back