25-06 future

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I, like many of you, am a 25-06 fan. But I have to wonder what it's future is. It seems to be one of the most neglected cartridges around. You cannot buy good brass for it - Lapua, ADG, Peterson, etc. never has and never will manufacture it. I believe there used to be Nosler brass but they took it off their list. Norma made 25-06 brass but when is the last time that was available. REM seems to be making brass again but they don't even list the 25-06, no support for their own cartridge. And who knows about WIN, I haven't seen it in years - like 5 years. Maybe no-one will make brass for the 25-06 ever again?! I could neck 270 down, but these days there are so many cartridges I can find good brass for, I'm more inclined to go that route. Is the 25-06 dead? Time for me to move on?

One of my biggest frustrations with ammo manufacturers is they artificially are manufacturing situations like this. Ignore a huge market of people who need brass and ammo so they can push people into their brand new cartridge. I find it hard to want to reward them for behavior like that. The 300 WSM is another they have been doing it with and a lot more. I would contact some of the manufacturers and let them know that you and a whole lot of other people need 25-06 brass and ammo.

Well, you have options to form it from others in the 30/06 family.
Not all is lost. I’ve got 200pcs of new .270 Win brass I’ll ship for 250$
If it helps.
Its nosler brass in the boxes.

It could definitely be worse. Try being in the 257 Roberts fan club! Finding brass is rough and 110 Accubonds were MIA for the better part of two years. Furthermore, the cost of a box of Nosler ammo will leave you scratching your head in disbelief.
Our family loves the cartridge and it’s been very good to us, but component availability and cost make me think about jumping ship to (dare I say) the 6.5 Creedmoor that seems to have a ton more support.
V/R,
Joe

One of my biggest frustrations with ammo manufacturers is they artificially are manufacturing situations like this. Ignore a huge market of people who need brass and ammo so they can push people into their brand new cartridge. I find it hard to want to reward them for behavior like that. The 300 WSM is another they have been doing it with and a lot more. I would contact some of the manufacturers and let them know that you and a whole lot of other people need 25-06 brass and ammo.
I hope your voicing your opinion has better results than mind did. I reached out to Starline asking them to produce 35 Rem brass as there was a need that wasn't being filled. They thanked me for contacting them but had no intention of making any. Guess you can keep squeaking as the wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the oil. Or so they say. Dan.

It could definitely be worse. Try being in the 257 Roberts fan club! Finding brass is rough and 110 Accubonds were MIA for the better part of two years. Furthermore, the cost of a box of Nosler ammo will leave you scratching your head in disbelief.
Our family loves the cartridge and it’s been very good to us, but component availability and cost make me think about jumping ship to (dare I say) the 6.5 Creedmoor that seems to have a ton more support.
V/R,
Joe
I feel for you Joe! Probably easier just to make it out of 7x57 at this point.

As for bullets, I don't wait around anymore. If someone won't make what I want, I'll move on pretty quick. Nosler has been dragging anchor for way too long in the past few years!

V/R,
Joe
If you want to use 244 Rem brass, let me know.

Norma just made a batch of it. @AFG270 got some and seems to like it a lot. Hornady still makes brass for it and I like that stuff as well.

I've been searching for 25-06 brass for a while. Found some Nosler brass here locally but it was listed for $120.00. Are they insane? Same thing with 6mm Remington brass. Remington and Winchester have been busy making sure that the 6.5 ManBun (Creedmoor) is out there on shelves. Hornady makes good 6mm brass but it's been hard to find here as of late also.

I think the main issue is the manufacturers could probably just make nothing but 9mm and 223 and use all their resources year round and sell everything they can make. Tacticool rounds like 308 have crossover appeal with hunting so next on list. Purely hunting rounds are getting pushed to seasonal runs even if they are popular like 30-06 or .270 and less popular get even less. None of the big guys are putting out much if any brass or primers because none left over. The smaller brass guys mainly play to niche / target markets who pay a premium though they offer some purely hunting stuff since we hunters are getting more ocd these days and will pay more. Hopefully some of the small guys scale up they can fill some of the gaps but dont expect it to be cheap

Lou

Luckily 25-06 brass is available, maybe limited or seasonal, but it's available. You can also resize 30-06 family brass to 270 but you will have to be aware of the head stamp.

JD338

As of the moment I write this, Natchez has Nosler 25-06 brass. https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/brass/nosler-brass-2506-remington-50bx-no10132

However, at the price listed, I would suggest an alternative course: buy commercial loads and reuse the brass. Yeah, it will cost more in the moment, and you don't get your personal detail load, at first, but then again, brass is at a premium. I suppose you could also download it and use your own stuff to build it back up.

Investments into things like brass is purely based on a P&L evaluation on a product line. Lack of brass for instance (and in this case 25-06) is simply a commercial decision. I can't recall when I last saw a new rifle come to market with 25-06 as an offered chambering, and I'm not talking just the last year or two. With all the industry challenges that have been discussed in other posts, manufacturers must prioritise what is in demand. It's not about what is good and what isn't it's just supply and demand. If I was a newer manufacturer 25-06 is only one of many very good calibres I wouldn't bother investing capital to build a capability for (22 hornet, 7/08, 35 rem, 222 rem, 7x57 just as examples). If firearm manufactures aren't committing to these chambering, then component manufacturers will at some stage follow in their wake. Where manufacturers do have capability, it is unsurprising (though frustrating) that some components for such chambering are simply too far down the list of priority to get attention.

If you want to use 244 Rem brass, let me know.
Appreciate the offer, but I’ve managed to squirrel away a couple of old 20 round boxes! At the rate this last year went, we may not need many rounds in the near future. Last year’s draw was pretty rough for us.
V/R,
Joe

I feel for you Joe! Probably easier just to make it out of 7x57 at this point.

As for bullets, I don't wait around anymore. If someone won't make what I want, I'll move on pretty quick. Nosler has been dragging anchor for way too long in the past few years!
It was really tough finding the 110 ABs my wife’s rifle likes! I’m not sure if the 115 PTs are in better supply, but that’s my plan B for if we manage to burn through our current little stash. Her rifle resides in NM with my FIL so I don’t get to load for it much, but it sure is fun to send a few down range when we make it home!
V/R,
Joe

Back