25 Souper or 25-06

I had the 25-06 with me in Oregon too, on that elk hunt. It was there both as a backup rifle and there was a chance of doing some more hunting. I had no doubt about Nosler's 110 grain AccuBond at 3200 fps. :)

Guy
Did you make the switch all the way from the blue cyclone load?

Did you make the switch all the way from the blue cyclone load?

No - I have maybe a hundred of the Blue Cyclones loaded, and probably a couple of hundred sitting there, quietly waiting.

I'd grabbed these 110 grain Accubonds from Shooters Pro Shop quite a while ago and wanted to try them. Dang, they shoot great! I just haven't shot any game with them yet.
Regards, Guy

I'm a huge quarter bore fan. They work better than they should. As I'm just now wrapping up my 280 Ackley build with Cerakote, I feel as though I want to build a gun for vermin on up to and including mule deer. Being as though I have a ton of components for 25-06, that would be route that makes the most sense, but for some reason I feel like a 25 Souper (25-308 [or 25-260 since that would be the best route]) would really get my goat as well.

I have scads of 100gr NBTs, 115gr Partitions, 110gr Accubonds, 100gr TTSX, and a box of 101gr LRX. I have a ripe supply of Hornady 25-06 brass, along with a lot of 260 brass back at my parents' home in the attic. Primers are finally a non-issue as well.

With the release of the new StaBall HD, I'm mighty tempted to just go with 25-06 to take advantage of the super slow powder, but I'm still on the fence.

Tax season is comin up, y'all. It's about time for a new rifle.
In about 3 weeks I'll have a 25x284 with a fast twist barrel returning from my smith. Been a long wait this time around. Built on a Win 70 SA with a mag length of 3.1". Used a 7.5"twist lilja barrel. Can't wait to wring it out with the blackjacks and Bergers I have. Hoping Nosler comes out with a 25cal ABLR.

In about 3 weeks I'll have a 25x284 with a fast twist barrel returning from my smith. Been a long wait this time around. Built on a Win 70 SA with a mag length of 3.1". Used a 7.5"twist lilja barrel. Can't wait to wring it out with the blackjacks and Bergers I have. Hoping Nosler comes out with a 25cal ABLR.
I see Hornady came out with an 134ELD-M the X will likely follow

The 25-06 is a great cartridge, and I always thought it would pair well with my 280 and 338-06.
Never really read up much on the 25 Souper, as I was wanting to limit my battery of wildcats...sticking to just the 250 AI...which is the same as the 25 Creedmoor. (Also like the 250 Savage; have 3 between the wife and I - the Lipsey's M77 RSI will end up in my daughter's possession as she shoot right handed; and the wife has the 257 Roberts).
The 257 Roberts is also a great cartridge and the next step up from the 250 and the AI virtually duplicates its performance in a short action - although as stated above, in a long action brings it to the next level.
For me, the performance level of the aforementioned cartridges will give me my desired performance with 100-115 gr bullets. 100's in the Savage, 110's in the AI and 115's in the Bob.

Having components to use for the Souper may influence your decision...but in the end it may be your chosen rifle action that will influence your build and chambering. If wanting to shoot heavier bullets of over 120 gr, than you are definitely going to need a faster twist in your barrel.
A wildcat has many appealing attributes to the handloader...but if you do not want to go the extra mile to load for it, factory options for chambering and ammunition may take you the other way. Only you can decide in the end.
Best of luck in your quest, and may it result in a great new rifle chambered in a cartridge that is sure to create many memories and grand adventures!

I was at a gunshop out at Oakey a couple of weekends ago on my way to a property to address some issues with roo's, fox's, pigs and other problems. I was really surprised how much 25-06 brass they had on hand as well as 25 cal projectiles. I still think the 25-06 is sadly on its way out but based on what I saw at the shop perhaps I've been too hasty predicting its ultimate demise. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it make a come back with gusto, right after the 257 Roberts

I was at a gunshop out at Oakey a couple of weekends ago on my way to a property to address some issues with roo's, fox's, pigs and other problems. I was really surprised how much 25-06 brass they had on hand as well as 25 cal projectiles. I still think the 25-06 is sadly on its way out but based on what I saw at the shop perhaps I've been too hasty predicting its ultimate demise. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it make a come back with gusto, right after the 257 Roberts
I think I eventually want to do a wildcat on the 277 fury case. Call it something like 25 RNC (redundant niche cartridge)

Whatever I do I'll get in a faster twist rate, but maybe not in a super fast one like my last 25-06 was.
I was going to say a fast twist 25-06, then I realized you already had one...
Nothing wrong with 2 fast twist 25-06's. Is the first one a heavy barrel, and this one will be a lighter weight set-up for hunting?
Nothing wrong with having several chambered the same, but I sometimes like variety.
What does your heart call to the most?

I do not have a 25-06, but I do have a 25 Creed, 25-284, and 25 PRC.
I did have a 250 Savage and a 250 Savage AI, but sold them
And of these quarter bores, which cartridge do you prefer (if you had to have just one), and why? (Velocity, accuracy, efficiency, etc.)
If you can, throw in the 257 Bob too...
And which bullet or bullets did you prefer in these cartridges? (brand, model, weight, performance - incl/ on game)

For me, I am currently leaning on 100 gr in the 250 (so far my Model 88 is showing great results accuracy wise with the SGK), 110 gr AccuBond in the 250AI, and 115 gr BT in the 257 Roberts. So far, I have only taken coyote with the 250AI using factory ammo, so do not have on game performance experience to know which I prefer as yet ...
But as far as the rifles go, that Model 88 is a keeper! The Ruger No.1 in 257 just has such pretty wood...and the 250AI is a LH Rem 700 is so fun to shoot and is my only wildcat...glad I don't have to pick just one! (And I haven't even played with a 25-06 yet...and I want to!)

Last edited:
You are correct Jeff, the 700 long action really makes the 257 Roberts sing.

JD338
Dang, now you let the cat out of the bag. Hahaha. Actually, mine is built on a Rem 725 action and boy will it sing with long bullets set way out there. I've killed everything that is killable with it here on the right coast.:rolleyes:;):oops:

Just think if Winchester would have also released the 6.5-08 we wouldn’t have the Creedmoor crowd.
But Remington named it the 260 Rem. Not sure if Winchester wouldn't have followed the same path that Remington did in 1997. And when they did new cartridges they went with 243 and 25 cals, in the WSSM, as that was the hot new trend in 2003.
Dave Emary at Hornady just took it to the next level with case length allowing for higher BC bullets in 2007 with the Creedmoor, and the rest as they say, is history.

I guess the question is how popular is the 25 Creedmoor/250AI/2Fity Hillbilly? Where are the die sales at?
Will they warrant a SAAMI approved introduction in factory ammo and rifles to fill the gap between the 6mm and 6,.5 CMs?
There are a few bullet makers out there making heavier bullets with higher BCs!

Might make my 250AI a little less unique, but I would be happy to be able to buy factory 25 CM ammo that could be used in my rifle's short action chamber as an alternative.

And of these quarter bores, which cartridge do you prefer (if you had to have just one), and why? (Velocity, accuracy, efficiency, etc.)
If you can, throw in the 257 Bob too...
And which bullet or bullets did you prefer in these cartridges? (brand, model, weight, performance - incl/ on game)

For me, I am currently leaning on 100 gr in the 250 (so far my Model 88 is showing great results accuracy wise with the SGK), 110 gr AccuBond in the 250AI, and 115 gr BT in the 257 Roberts. So far, I have only taken coyote with the 250AI using factory ammo, so do not have on game performance experience to know which I prefer as yet ...
But as far as the rifles go, that Model 88 is a keeper! The Ruger No.1 in 257 just has such pretty wood...and the 250AI is a LH Rem 700 is so fun to shoot and is my only wildcat...glad I don't have to pick just one! (And I haven't even played with a 25-06 yet...and I want to!)
I primarily shoot a short action single-shot (Remington XP-100)...which translates into the ability to chamber both short action and long action cartridges in the XP, since it is a single-shot.
If I had to pick one, it would be a fast twist 25-284 😇

Back