25-06 future

Well amazingly I do see a bit of brass available. I was thinking it was just new old stock but if Norma (and Hornady) are actually making runs of it maybe things aren't completely lost. 25-06 has never had great brass anyway

As the self appointed champion of the 250 Savage, I can tell you there is no support in the industry for anything .25 Cal. If it aint a .30, 6.5 or 223 they arent interested in making it. CL

Well amazingly I do see a bit of brass available. I was thinking it was just new old stock but if Norma (and Hornady) are actually making runs of it maybe things aren't completely lost. 25-06 has never had great brass anyway
I have always had great results with Norma and would expect no less from any 25-06 brass they make either. Probably my favorite brass manufacturer.

I have not used any recently produced Norma brass . I've been using some older 7mm-08 Norma brass , it has been fantastic . I've read the older Norma brass was soft and primer pockets expanded to easily . the stuff I'm using is tough , and I would buy it again .

Per Norma brass - sometimes I see it sold as a "Norma's shooter pack." Is there anything different about a shooter's pack or is it just different packaging?

Norma just made a batch of it. @AFG270 got some and seems to like it a lot. Hornady still makes brass for it and I like that stuff as well.
Yes, I got 2 bags, one from Optics Planet that i ordered in August and they shipped it in December, the other bag from Midway. So far it seems to be excellent brass. It doesn't appear to be annealed, so I annealed it.

I’d think the annealing evidence was likely polished off before packaging?
But my assumptions have gotten me in trouble before. Don’t have direct experience with that company.
And when done correctly it sure doesn’t hurt to repeat, if it’s the 2nd time.

I dearly love using the 25-06, such a sweet shooting cartridge! Accurate. Fast. Lethal. Low recoil...

That said, when this barrel is toast it's going to be a coin flip about re-barreling it as a fast twist 25-06 or just going to the wildcat 6.5-06 for those cool high BC 6.5 bullets... :)

I still have at least 500 .257 cal bullets on hand, probably closer to 800... So, not sure when or if I'll re-barrel.

Guy

I dearly love using the 25-06, such a sweet shooting cartridge! Accurate. Fast. Lethal. Low recoil...

That said, when this barrel is toast it's going to be a coin flip about re-barreling it as a fast twist 25-06 or just going to the wildcat 6.5-06 for those cool high BC 6.5 bullets... :)

I still have at least 500 .257 cal bullets on hand, probably closer to 800... So, not sure when or if I'll re-barrel.

Guy
25-06 for sure, get Gavin to hook you up with those new 130 gr+ bullets available now. More sleek bullets will be coming out by the time you do it I'm sure. A fast twist will still work for your current bullets.

Guy
Even before we first interacted on this forum, it was always such a breath of fresh air seeing the 25-06 get some love from you on Ultimate Reloader. If you did a fast twist, you’d be a staple in the 25 revolution 😎

Dang.. You 25 cal nuts are quick on the trigger! ;)

Gavin already has a bunch of long, skinny, heavy .25 cal bullets and he's not using them up... :)

I'm thinking it would be no big deal to convince him that my 25-06 needs to be re-barreled.

Guy

Dang.. You 25 cal nuts are quick on the trigger! ;)

Gavin already has a bunch of long, skinny, heavy .25 cal bullets and he's not using them up... :)

I'm thinking it would be no big deal to convince him that my 25-06 needs to be re-barreled.

Guy
Now you're talking! I follow a 25 cal thread at Rokslide and they say that the 130 class Hornady and Berger bullets outperform most of the 6.5 mm options right now. Not a lot but there is an edge. I love the 6.5 mm rounds but am intrigued with the 25 cal more and more.

Now you're talking! I follow a 25 cal thread at Rokslide and they say that the 130 class Hornady and Berger bullets outperform most of the 6.5 mm options right now. Not a lot but there is an edge. I love the 6.5 mm rounds but am intrigued with the 25 cal more and more.
I'd bet you that we'll see an ABLR or AB come out in a heavier weight in .257 fairly soon as well. Can't all just be match bullets filling up the heavies.

An ABLR offering would be a welcome addition. Not sure what weight but I think a 115 ABLR would stabilize in the common 1:10 twist. That would be a great offering.
A 120 gr BT/AB would also be a winner.

JD338

There used to be an old guy that did one gun show a year and all he sold was bulk components. One day at a show he had some 7x57 Mauser brass on the table. I asked him him how much he had on hand figuring one getting a good supply. It was Winchester brass which at the time was unobtanium. He had abouy 500 Winchester and 300 Remington IIRC. I took it all. We got to talking and I mentioned that I was looking for brass to feed my .358 Win. he asked how many. I got 300 rounds, all he had.

This brings up a memory from a couple years back. There is a shooting site populated by a sometime somewhat snooty members, with many being lawyers no less. one of them was lamenting he could not find any .358 Win. ammo or brass anywhere. I looked up the price on several places selling on line, took the lowest and subtracted $10 from the lowest price and offered to let him have 100 rounds of brand new brass at that price via PM. never heard a word from him. I thought I was being more than fair but I have no idea what was going through his mind, if anything.
Paul B.
Edited to correct the number ten to one hundred.
PB

Last edited:
Life is too short Uncle Guy! You already know what the 25-06 will do, give that 6.5/06 (or 6.5 Sherman, or Gibbs, or 6.5/280 Ackley Improved ) a tryout! ha

Back