.270 Starline brass to .25-06

Funny how that works.... the vast majority of people who’ve actually done it, have experienced relatively zero issues.

BUT... the people who’ve never done it, can always find a hundred reasons why it won’t work.

Just going by load manual suggestions.... and it makes sense. But to each thier own. Deal with whatever comes along like all brass is different. I hate pulling down rounds, and resizing, and all that. Example... I used rem brass and LC match brass, and they Head spaced more than Federal brass. Federal brass took a little bit more adjustment on the die. Yes all were annealed, and yes my die was and stays clean.

Looking at Saami drawings takes a lot if not all of the guesswork out of this kind of thing ahead of time. For example not only does it show that a 25-06 and 270 are the exact same measurement to the datum line as stated above, (and 30-06) but also according to saami drawings the 25-06 has the thickest neck by .002, .001 on either side of the neck, of the three. So you know ahead of time there shouldn't be any issue necking down from 270 to 25-06. Bottom line if the neck doesn't measure greater than .290 with a seated bullet in it, you're good to go. I'm not telling anything new to somebody that's already done it, just pointing out how you can figure stuff out ahead of time in these situations.

On the other hand a 308 is thicker by .004 than a 7mm-08. So if resizing brass to another cartridge size in that family you want to for example make 260 rem brass from 7mm-08 or 243. Not from it's parent cartridge 308 unless you want to do some neck turning to make it work in most chambers without causing dangerous pressures.

FLR the brass to 25-06......turn necks...trim .....load and enjoy

270 to 25-06, piece of cake. Shouldn’t be any issue since you’re turning the longer neck into the shoulder on a 25-06. The false shoulder merely creates a case that doesn’t stretch from the web of the case upon firing. You’d likely create one naturally if your 25-06 die was set up for correct headspace anyhow. Usually the only time I have had to inside ream is when you’re necking down and making neck outta shoulder which creates a donut after a few firings.

SJB358":1n29p2g2 said:
270 to 25-06, piece of cake. Shouldn’t be any issue since you’re turning the longer neck into the shoulder on a 25-06. The false shoulder merely creates a case that doesn’t stretch from the web of the case upon firing. You’d likely create one naturally if your 25-06 die was set up for correct headspace anyhow. Usually the only time I have had to inside ream is when you’re necking down and making neck outta shoulder which creates a donut after a few firings.

and a donut would be created from excessive thick neck. Good point. As long as you don't seat in the donut you're ok. If not it has to be cut out.

slickrem":3tyrt9f7 said:
SJB358":3tyrt9f7 said:

and a donut would be created from excessive thick neck. Good point. As long as you don't seat in the donut you're ok. If not it has to be cut out.

Exactly, I haven't seen donuts from normal necking down such as from 270 to 25-06. Usually it comes from when you get into necking down so far you are making the shoulder into neck such as the 300 Win to 7 Mashburn. That will make a donut every single time in my experience in usually less than 2 firings since all of that material has to go somewhere.

slickrem":33zprr6x said:
SAMMI does not shows neck thickness just chamber neck diameter and Cartridge case OD.

I'm not going to get into a long detailed disagreement with you as you seem bent on proving a point that doesn't exist in this example of resizing 270 brass to 25-06, but yes they do.

The maximum specs for a loaded cartridge are all there. Using simple 3rd grade math tells you exactly what the neck thickness is ahead of time. .290 outside neck diameter minus .2575 for the bullet = .0325 total. Divided by 2 = .01625 thickness per side.

Math doesn't have an opinion, it just is.

This whole thread is full of points that don’t exist.....

Necking .270 to .25/06 is as simple as running them through the due and trimming. I’d leave a small false shoulder to ensure positive headspace.... but I do that whenever possible.

ShadeTree":1vl18eu9 said:
slickrem":1vl18eu9 said:
SAMMI does not shows neck thickness just chamber neck diameter and Cartridge case OD.

I'm not going to get into a long detailed disagreement with you as you seem bent on proving a point that doesn't exist in this example of resizing 270 brass to 25-06, but yes they do.

The maximum specs for a loaded cartridge are all there. Using simple 3rd grade math tells you exactly what the neck thickness is ahead of time. .290 outside neck diameter minus .2575 for the bullet = .0325 total. Divided by 2 = .01625 thickness per side.

Math doesn't have an opinion, it just is.

The maximum specs for a loaded cartridge are all there

Donuts are unseen.... I did't know about them until someone told me. And if you seat a bullet above them there's no issues. When you do, there is a problem, neck tension problems.

After you size it, checking variations in thickness.... and turning it to make it concentric is what needs to be done. Your idea of neck thickness really doesn't address what really matters. I measured Weatherby brass... on my 300. .014 all the way around.

At least for me, it's been pretty straight forward. They come out of the FL die kinda long, and I take my time running them down with the Wilson rig and a battery drill. Neck thickness is the same for me, neck tension is tighter than new Rem brass, if I recall correctly. They chamber and shoot fine in the two .25-06's I have. The A3 Sako with the new Benchmark barrel seems to be faster than the old L61R Sako. The re-barreled rifle started out as a .30-06 with a bolt face that looked like new. I'm still hunting "the" load for the newer rifle but there's no hurry. I still need to load identical loads in the Starline and Rem and check them thru the chrony in each rifle.

Thanks for the help and advice.

I will always pay more attention to those who answer questions here based on real experience. Several in this thread (who are not concerned with hypothetical donuts or actual brass wall thickness in the neck) have patiently explained that .270 to 25-06 works for them with many rounds. Add me to that group. I have done it as a standard practice for 10 years with no problems and many reloads of the same brass. Now let's park this thread. Please.

Back