150 grain ET 30 cal

jkainer

Beginner
Sep 4, 2024
Hey guys new here, does anyone have any formulas for the expansion tip 150 grain 30-06 using IMR 4895?

Yessir, I was just asking if anyone has personally used it and found out how many grains and etc. works best with it.
Honestly it’s so much easier and 10x safer starting at the low middle of the listed loads and shoot them on paper. If you have a speedometer you can see where you’re at pressure wise. Cause chances are my 05 won’t like the exact load yours does. Our eyes, lips and face are pretty valuable.

Honestly it’s so much easier and 10x safer starting at the low middle of the listed loads and shoot them on paper. If you have a speedometer you can see where you’re at pressure wise. Cause chances are my 05 won’t like the exact load yours does. Our eyes, lips and face are pretty valuable.
Sounds good thank you loaded up some today at the minimum so we will see how it goes

Good luck.

Any idea where you seated them in relation to the throat?

Welcome to the forum.
Lots of experience and good advice here.
Keep us posted on your load development.

JD338

Welcome aboard. Scotty, SJB 338 was asking is if you knew how far off the lands your loaded bullet is. Hornady makes a tool you can get along with a specially designed O6 case that will allow you to accurately determine how long the throat in your rifle is. You can then adjust the overall length of the cartridge to obtain the best possible accuracy. Generally speaking cup and core bullets, like the Nosler Ballistic tips like to be just a few thousands off the lands where as solid copper like to be anywhere from 5/100s to a full tenth of an inch. Don’t recall what I use for the e tip, only played with it a little bit. 150 grain ballistic tips have been a favorite in my 06 for probably 50 years, close to it anyway. I started loading them at 3.32 I would guess. For the last 20 years or so I’ve loading them at 3.335. That keeps me 3/1000 of the lands.
4895 is a good powder in the 06. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back