16 hour brisket cook

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Made my own brisket seasoning, trimmed the fat, and seasoned the brisket, its roughly 15 lbs, started the cook at 5:30 pm yesterday in the Traeger smoker at 225 degrees, spritz every hour using 50 /50 blend of apple juice and apple cider vinegar, set the phone alarm to go off each hour till 3 am, once the internal temp got to 165 degrees. Brought it inside and brushed on a few tablespoons of beef tallow, and wrapped in peach paper and tied shut with twine, resumed the cook at 225 degrees, and went to bed, and woke up to the probe alarm that the internal temp is approaching 200 degrees. Pulled it about an hour later at 203, and let it rest in an ice cooler covered with foil and a wet towel to retain the heat. Two hours later, brought it inside and sliced it the flat away from the point, oh boy, the flat was juicy and bends when hanging with a fork. I have seen some sliced flats retain the straightness with no bend in it and its pretty dry, but this one has a bend in it and real juicy. Fried some soft shell fresh corn tortillas, spoon in the sliced brisket and some pico de gallo plus some habanero sauce and it was so tasty. My wife says, it does not need anything else, just a little salt. On the point where you see the top layer of fat in the picture, I sliced that fat off that retains between the point and the flat before I separated them, its not too appealing eating them. The whole cook time took 16 hours. Golly, now I need a nap. o_O

Attachments

• brisket.JPG
    brisket.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 13
  • brisket1.JPG
    brisket1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 13
  • brisket2.JPG
    brisket2.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
  • brisket3.JPG
    brisket3.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Looks as if you nailed it! (y) The pico on the corn tortilla is a great touch that is sure to please any dedicated carnivore.

I cook beef ribs pretty much the same as brisket. They are always a hit, in any case.
Won't matter if its ribs or brisket, meat is meat. ;) I love ribs as well, you reminded me that I have some batches of short ribs from that black angus steer from last year in the freezer, that just refreshed my memory. I'll smoke them just like baby backs soon.

Back