160 Accubond Rocks

The AccuBond is one tough "tuff" bullet. I went out to take a doe with a managed land tag. Three does and one yearling came by where there was a row of trees between them and me, so I had to pick my shot through an opening in the brush. After watching the deer for about five minutes I picked out the biggest doe. She was walking away from me so I aimed for the middle of the back of the neck. I knew I connected because of the veil of white hair filling the sky. The range was about 75 yards and it only took me a short time to walk to the spot. I found my doe DRT. The AccuBond hit in the center of the neck bone and took out a good chunk of the throat upon exit. End of story, NOT.! I noticed a bit of motion up the trail and saw that it was another doe with a few twitches left. I walked about 25 yds up the trail and the AccuBond had hit the second doe in the back of the head square between the ears. Not much left there. So the AccuBond whent through a neck bone continued down range for another 25 yds and still remained intact to make a clean head kill on the second with complete penetration. I was a little put out at myself for not seeing the second deer, but it wasn't wasted, and I had three doe tags anyway. But that bullet performance was outstanding. I'd post pics but they are a little graphic.

As you say, "One tough bullet." Two with one shot. Hmmmm. This could be the basis for a new advertising campaign.

Bruce Mc

Congratulations on your double doe shot.

Go ahead and post the pictures, we are all men here.

JD338

O.K. JD, you asked for em.

SANY0045.JPG

This is the first doe.

SANY0046.JPG

This is the second doe.

Years ago when I first started using the 160 acb and my 7mm AM, I was glassing a ridge and spotted a doe laying in her bed.
I ran the numbers and set my drops for 375 yards, as I was just about set to shoot, she curled her head along her side covering up the POA behind her shoulder. I thought about it a bit, and held just below her eye and squeezed.
When the bullet impacted, she bounced about 2" off the ground and was still, 10 seconds later another doe raised her head beside her and looked at her, 20 seconds later they smeelled blood and three does got up from around her and hurriedly walked off.
When I recovered the doe POI was exactly where I held, the 160 exited the head and re-entered behind the shoulder and made a pretty large exit hole behind the offside shoulder, never saw one die quicker!
RR

I would say that is a good way to save money on reloads. thos are good bullets and that was good shooting.
Russ

Thank ya'll for the kind words, I really felt bad after the shot. I don't like unexpected consequences when I'm shooting. Just goes to show you, you can never be 100% sure of all the conditions.

I've never seen that much blood come out of a deer!!! That neck shot is unreal. My pops would only shoot deer in the neck (something about growing up during the depression and needing all the meat to eat) and I always questioned why. When I shot a bull moose in 07' in the neck and didn't have to track it into the bush, i understood why.

Back