160gr .270win experience on Eastern Moose

Xbolt270

Beginner
Jan 10, 2021
Hi folks! I just found the 160gr Partition, and my rifle absolutely loves them (less than 1/2” at 100 yards with 50.5gr IMR4350).. I have an Eastern Moose hunt planned for next year in Newfoundland, and I’d love to hear some experiences with these 160gr on moose (happy to hear 150gr stories too, of course...it’s my first moose hunt and I just like hearing from folks who have done it before with a .270).

Thanks in advance!

Never owned a 270, but I have owned a couple of 280s (and a 284, a 7X57, a 270WSM, etc.). I've either taken moose or witnessed moose taken with a Speer 145 grain GS from a 7mm 08, a 130 grain E-Tip from a 270 WSM, a 150 grain BT from a 7X57, etc. A 150 grain bullet and heavier will take a moose if you do your part and put it in the boiler. I have no doubt that the 160 PT will work quite well for you in Newfoundland. Undoubtedly, a 140 grain AB would work about as well when launched from your 270. Keep us posted as you prepare for your hunt. I'm certain people will be interested. And I know people will want to hear the results. Just remember, the first person posting in reply to your query is to be invited for tenderloin. (y)

DrMike":x51tino9 said:
Never owned a 270, but I have owned a couple of 280s (and a 284, a 7X57, a 270WSM, etc.). I've either taken moose or witnessed moose taken with a Speer 145 grain GS from a 7mm 08, a 130 grain E-Tip from a 270 WSM, a 150 grain BT from a 7X57, etc. A 150 grain bullet and heavier will take a moose if you do your part and put it in the boiler. I have no doubt that the 160 PT will work quite well for you in Newfoundland. Undoubtedly, a 140 grain AB would work about as well when launched from your 270. Keep us posted as you prepare for your hunt. I'm certain people will be interested. And I know people will want to hear the results. Just remember, the first person posting in reply to your query is to be invited for tenderloin. (y)

Ha! With your extremely-helpful response in the other thread I’m happy to share a tenderloin if we find ourselves in the same town!

It'll do just fine. It works on Alaskan moose, so a smaller Eastern moose would be no different.

My son's moose load is a 145 ELDX over a stiff charge of IMR4955 for 2950fps.

I have used the Partition for decades on over 100 animals, it's a great bullet and will do its job. Your job will be to put it into the right place, end of story.

The Partition is a great bullet. I had used a 140 Partition in a 7mm Mag many moons ago on a nilgai hunt. A herd of nilgai jumped out out of a dried up creek bed and ran off into a field, and they all crossed the field and into the brush, but one bull nilgai stopped at the edge of the field, about 290 yards, spun around and came face on towards me for another look before the 140 Partition hit him squarely in the chest and it dropped right there. We found the bullet in the rear leg after destroying the heart and lungs. Nilgai usually do not drop right there except for neck shots. It was impressive penetration.

Wish you luck on your Eastern moose hunt next year and that is great shooting right there. (y)

My wife used her 280AI with a 160 gr PT to take her Newfe bull moose at 260 yards. First 2 shots were tight behind the shoulder about 3" apart and they exited through the ribs behind the off shoulder. Her third shot went behind the shoulder on the other side and was recovered in the off side shoulder dropping him there.
He was dead on the first shot but she shot the wiggle out of him.
FWIW, she spent the summer practicing quick follow-up shots off a shooting stick at 200 and 300 yard gongs. I would time her between shot 1 and 2 and she would be 5-7 seconds. It was a good training exercise that paid off in spades.
Something you might want to consider doing for your upcoming moose hunt. You are going to have a fantastic time!

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20180323_193929572.jpg
    IMG_20180323_193929572.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,732
Thank you all, and thanks especially for the suggested practice technique! I am looking forward to the hunt and want to do everything I can to ensure a successful hunt.

John

I have found the 270 to kill moose far better than the paper specs would suggest. My wide used a 130 TTSX on a large cow a few years ago. It was one of the fastest kills I have ever seen on moose. One of my good hunting buddy’s mother has used 150gr bullets in her 270 to kill numerous moose over the years. They all tend to drop like they stepped in a hole!

8c2e873ad70cc8c394b3d802297d3202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad shot his first moose, a Shiras, this year at 180 yards broadside the bullet performed flawlessly. The bull locked up and absorbed 3 more but only went about 5 steps total.

He was using his 270 WSM and 150 gr. Partitions. It retained 108 grains of weight.

My guess is as mentioned by everyone else, that 160 will do a great job!

Good luck on your hunt!

I have shot a 270win for over 40 years and I have been fortunate to have harvested every Big Game animal here in Saskatchewan using either the 130gr. Partition or the 130gr. AccuBond. I have never felt under gunned with my 270win.
PS. We have caribou here in Saskatchewan but can not hunt them :cry:..

Blessings,
Dan

The Partition worked absolutely perfectly this week in Newfoundland. I harvested a beautiful cow moose and the Partition did exactly what it was supposed to. Thank you all for your advice and anecdotes!

John

Attachments

• 5F731879-6C8B-4172-BC28-91D7D9996990.jpeg
    5F731879-6C8B-4172-BC28-91D7D9996990.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 343
John,

Congratulations on your cow moose. Give us the details of the hunt and where you were hunting in Newfoundland.

JD338

I’d have no qualms about using a .270 Winchester on a moose.
Best of luck to you.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back