162 a-max, 7mm-08

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
Fired into milk jugs from 25 yards, muzzle velocity approx 2700 fps, found in bottom of third jug with no mark on the back of the jug, recovered jacket/core weigh 62.8 grains. There were some small fragments laying around, but I didn't bother picking them up.

The A-Max is frangible, indicating that one should be cautious in using the bullet on game larger than deer size.

They wouldn't be on my list of bullets to use in a faster cartridge when close shots might be likely, but I wouldn't be worried using these in the little 7. Performance was on par with the 120 nbt, which everyone raves about. However, I wouldn't use these over the 140 Partition for hunting anyway. The only reason I see to use these for hunting is if very long shots are the probability, in which case the impact velocity would be substantially lower and bullet expansion would be less violent. I thought this bullet performed admirably.

I shot two elk last year with 6.5mm 140gr Amax's doing 3230fps at the muzzle. One was about 150yds and the other was wounded and I jumped it at about 30yds. I shot it in the spine and it destroyed the spine. I had to shoot it again in the head but that would have been the case no matter what bullet was used for the spine shot. I also shot a deer and a antelope the year before with the same rifle. The deer was 1006yds and the antelope was 512yds.

I've seen quite a few animals shot, even close, with Amax's and all of them were dead on the spot if they were hit in the vitals or incapacitated if they weren't hit in the vitals. A buddy of mine shot 2 moose with them and both took one shot each. One was at 500yds with a 168gr Amax from a .308. The other was at 400yds with a .284 Win. using 162's.

Back