165gr Accubond vs. 165 Partition???

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, I am considering a switch from the 165gr Nosler Partition Sp. Pt. to the 165gr Nosler AccuBond in my 1971 Browning BLR .308. I would like to as the question which would you use as a poll and if you can give a reason for your choice. Also has anyone shot the accubonds out of the .308 Browning BLR and what did you think. I know that this is not going to be a long range shooter as it only has I believe it to be 18.5" or 19" barrel, but would like to stretch it out 300yds or more. Its main use will be whitetails, mulies, elk and moose. My 14 soon to be 15 year old son is going to start shooting it and hunt in the fall 2013. Thanks for all you replies in advance.

I would stay with the Partitions only because of the 2.8" magazine length of the SA BLRs. As far as terminal effectiveness or ballistic characteristics, I don't see any differences between the two bullets until the ABs higher BC takes effect.

I haven't shot that particular rifle. But I would shoot which ever bullet shoots best. And if I had my preference, I would go to the Partition. There won't be enough performance difference of the two, out to 300 yds that would cause concern for me. And CC dose have a point on the PT's length as well.

You won't go wrong with either bullet. The advice to shoot whichever gives the better accuracy is sound. CC has a point that should not be neglected, to consider the magazine depth. In my .358 Win, that moved me to use bullets other than the AB, and I can see how that could be a factor with your .308.

Either the PT or AB will get the job done for you, pick the one that shoots the best.
Keep in mind that the AB is longer and will have to be seated deeper into the case to function in the magazine.

JD338

JD338":1x7221w8 said:
Either the PT or AB will get the job done for you, pick the one that shoots the best.
Keep in mind that the AB is longer and will have to be seated deeper into the case to function in the magazine.

JD338

That 165 AB from a 308 can attain 2750-2800 from a decent charge of RL15 and a 2.78" length cartridge without too much drama. In my old Ruger I was loaded to SAAMI length and got excellent accuracy. I am not sure either bullet is better than the other, but if I had a working load for the PT I was happy with, the AB isn't going to do anything better.

"I know that this is not going to be a long range shooter as it only has I believe it to be 18.5" or 19" barrel, but would like to stretch it out 300yds or more."

I don't know what rifle you are shooting but I can give you an idea of the velocity. I shoot the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core over 49.0 gr. of W760 from a Ruger M77 RSI with 18.5" barrel. Velocity is 2550 FPS with that load. That same load is 2610 FPS from a 22" barreled Winchester M70 FWIW.
I'm sure there are more appropriate powders for use in the .308 but that rifle of mine is a one trick pony. I haven't tried the bullets you are looking at but a while back i decided to see if that rifle might do as well with other 165 gr. bullets. I had some 165 gr. Sierra Game King hollow points and they didn't shoot worth spit in that Ruger.
I can state though that the Speer bullet load took a nice Mule Deer at a laser measured 250 yards as it faced me and I found the bullet lodged against a back leg bone breaking that bone.
Due to magazine restrictions, I'd go long with the others and use the Partition rather than the AccuBond.
One more thing, that load of mine is the maximum in the data book I have. It shoots OK in my RSI, my wife's RSI and the M70 mentioned but will lock up the bolt on a custom Mauser I have. I've only used it on deer but they've all only needed one shot.
Paul B.

My oldest son's .308 Browning BLR shoots the 165 gr Nosler Partitions nicely, and the 165 Ballistic Tips work real well too. Haven't tried the Accubonds. The Ballistic Tip has been superb, and the Partition, well heck, it performs just like a Partition always does. Take a look through our .30 cal bullet tests, you'll find all those .30 cal bullets tested there. If you're already using a Partition and are happy with it, why change?

Varget or RE-15 will get up around 2650 fps easily enough.

The BLR is a good hunting rifle. I wish you and your son success with it!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":monv5a3l said:
My oldest son's .308 Browning BLR shoots the 165 gr Nosler Partitions nicely, and the 165 Ballistic Tips work real well too. Haven't tried the Accubonds. The Ballistic Tip has been superb, and the Partition, well heck, it performs just like a Partition always does. Take a look through our .30 cal bullet tests, you'll find all those .30 cal bullets tested there. If you're already using a Partition and are happy with it, why change?

Varget or RE-15 will get up around 2650 fps easily enough.

The BLR is a good hunting rifle. I wish you and your son success with it!

Regards, Guy

Thank you Guy for your advise. Thanks to all for there valuable imput. I completely forgot to be very wary of the OAL with the AccuBond bullet. There is not alot of room in the older style metal detachable magazines of this rifle.
This rifle was my dads from new, and I have just replaced the fixed 3x Leupold to a Vari II 3x9. I learnt how to hunt with this gun and shot all of my firsts animals with it. It is hard when you hear all the hype of the AccuBond to not want to try it. I have been reloading for some close to 30 yrs. I have in the early years tried different bullets and then I was put onto the Nosler Partition, it is the only bullet that I have shot since. It would be hard to tell you anything that the Partition is not or any failings that I have had. I have never had any Partition not do what it was designed to do (drop the animal). I have shot other bullets that have failed terribly. I am currently switching powders from IMR4895 over to Varget to go with the 165gr bullet. When the weather settles down I am heading to the range for some ladder tests. I think like all of you have said will stay with the Partition bullet that this BLR likes so much. It is a very tight grouping rifle with many range days of 3-5 shot groups all under an inch at a 100yds.

That's fine accuracy, those BLR's are good rifles. The one my son shoots came from my father. It too is one of the old steel receiver models with the magazines that hang down below the action. I like to borrow it back from my son now and again, just to enjoy shooting it.

Guy

Guy Miner":3ujw9go2 said:
That's fine accuracy, those BLR's are good rifles. The one my son shoots came from my father. It too is one of the old steel receiver models with the magazines that hang down below the action. I like to borrow it back from my son now and again, just to enjoy shooting it.

Guy

If I can figure out how to get a picture loaded I will show you. I would have to say that it is one of my favorite guns that I have shot growing up and even now. It is such a dream to pack in the high country for mulies. When you are only talking a total of 40" long there is not alot of weight there. I still spend time searching for extra magazines for it. They are hard to find in good shape. I am fortunate to have two magazines now.

Mark

Here's the family BLR. It was Dad's, now my oldest son claims it. I've always liked it. Three of us have used it... I'm not sure any of us have EVER had to adjust the scope from the way Dad had it zeroed at 200 yards with 165 Speers... Hmmm. That thought just occurred to me.

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

This one was made in Belgium. We're fortunate to have two magazines for it, because the newer magazines won't work.

Is yours like this one? I just use Photobucket to host my photos online, cut and paste the URL from Photobucket onto this site - it's easy and works well.

Guy

Yeah Guy, that is a very very nice rifle buddy. Someday I will put another 308 back into the safe..

I can tell you that the one 200 grain AccuBond I shot into a box of magazines at 100 yards from my 30-06 didn't penetrate nearly as deep as the one 180 grain Partition I shot into the same box of magazines, at the same distance, from the same rifle. I believe muzzle velocities were in the 2670-2700 range for the 200, and 2750-2780 for the 180. I can look it up if need be.

I haven't done a lot of long-range shooting myself, but it seems like the b.c. difference between a 165 Partition and a 165 AccuBond would be far from the greatest factor in accurate shooting to 400 yards or so. If it were me, I'd find the most accurate bullet from that rifle, load a bunch of them, and get to practicing. Lots of bullets should work great at .308 velocities and with proper shot placement. And if really long distance shooting were in the question, I'd probably be looking at a new rifle.

Guy,

Thanks for the pictures of the Browning BLR. My first year hunting I borrowed one just like that in 1988 from my father in law. Got my first elk near Jackson Hole. My wife gave me a newer model for Christmas soon after. Wish I took some pictures. Thanks Brian

Guy Miner":155v1njl said:
Here's the family BLR. It was Dad's, now my oldest son claims it. I've always liked it. Three of us have used it... I'm not sure any of us have EVER had to adjust the scope from the way Dad had it zeroed at 200 yards with 165 Speers... Hmmm. That thought just occurred to me.

This one was made in Belgium. We're fortunate to have two magazines for it, because the newer magazines won't work.

Is yours like this one? I just use Photobucket to host my photos online, cut and paste the URL from Photobucket onto this site - it's easy and works well.

Guy

Hi Guy

I think that I own the very same gun. As you can see I furnished the BLR with a new Leupold Vari II 3x9x40. I think my rifle shows a little more wear and tear than yours. I am going to purchase the sling mount for the front like you have and fill the hole on this one. At some point I will redo the stock to bring it back to its prestine shape.

IMG_0041_zps924e858c.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsaa22403e.jpg

IMG_0043_zpsa0e05607.jpg

I got the pictures to load up now.

Looks exactly like it should after many seasons afield. What a great rifle!

That ol' Browning looks like it has filled the freezer at least a few times.

Guy

Gotta' love those battered ol' Browning Lever Rifles. They work very well. Your rifle does look as if it is rife with memories, Nosler06.

Back