165gr Accubond vs. 165 Partition???

Guy Miner":2499qap0 said:
Looks exactly like it should after many seasons afield. What a great rifle!

That ol' Browning looks like it has filled the freezer at least a few times.

Guy

DrMike":2499qap0 said:
Gotta' love those battered ol' Browning Lever Rifles. They work very well. Your rifle does look as if it is rife with memories, Nosler06.

Thanks guys. She does have wear marks on her, but that is what give the character. Yes this oldie has put many animals in the freezer. I have very fond memories going out with dad when I was about 7yrs old and him and a friend shooting 3 4x4 mule deer. The funniest thing about that was when they struggled to get them all on the roof of dads old Landrover. I shot my very first deer with this rifle when I was 10. Not a big one, but a 2 pt whitetail. Still have the antlers after all these years. Oh the stories that this rifle could tell. The many more stories that it will make as my son will start hunting next year.

Mark

Outstanding!

I think you'll find an abiding respect for older, well used rifles here.

Guy

Mark,

That is a classic rifle.
If I had one it would be in a 308 Win loaded up with the 165 gr PT, just like you have there.

A few years back, I worked up a load for a friends BLR 308 Win with the 165 gr PT. He had a VXIII 2.5-8x36mm on it. Man, that rifle was a dream to handle.

JD338

bullet":1rt88ast said:

JD338":1rt88ast said:
Mark,

That is a classic rifle.
If I had one it would be in a 308 Win loaded up with the 165 gr PT, just like you have there.

A few years back, I worked up a load for a friends BLR 308 Win with the 165 gr PT. He had a VXIII 2.5-8x36mm on it. Man, that rifle was a dream to handle.

JD338

Thanks JD, and I believe my mind is made up. After all these years and I do not know how many lbs of meat has gone into my freezer from a Nosler Partition bullet, so the Partition is still the pill of choice. After looking there is not too much space left in the mag for a longer bullet to fit anyways.
I would have loved to put a Vari III on either my .308 or 30-06. Unfortunately there was only so much money in my budget. I have loved my Vari II 3x9x40 on my 30-06 for the past 25yrs I have used it. :grin:

The most accurate gets the nod. I doubt the deer can tell the difference. Or elk for that matter.

I have owed several .308's, mostly model 70 Feathweights plus a Number One Ruger (all 22 inch barrels) and I have never been able to break 2700 fps with any of the rifles that I had, with a 165 grain Nosler bullet. However, I only used Remington, Federal and Winchester brass. I think it is a myth of people without a chronograph, assuming that they are approaching .30-06 velocities with 165 grain bullets, particularly long shanked bullets like the AccuBond which sits way down in the powder space. I do not think that these velocities are real. I think that they come out of loading manuals and have never been checked.

My personal experience with the .308 is that it more closely resembles the .300 Savage than the .30-06. In fact I had a 722 Remington .300 Savage that shot 165 grain bullets within a half grain of IMR 4064 of being the same load as the .308. I do not presently own a .308 but would like to hear from some actually chronographed 165 gr Nosler Partition or AccuBond bullet loads for the .308 that ever break 2700 fps. Just checking my experience against the .308 velocity myth with heavier bullets?

Oldtrader3":3qxm5fao said:
I have owed several .308's, mostly model 70 Feathweights plus a Number One Ruger (all 22 inch barrels) and I have never been able to break 2700 fps with any of the rifles that I had, with a 165 grain Nosler bullet. However, I only used Remington, Federal and Winchester brass. I think it is a myth of people without a chronograph, assuming that they are approaching .30-06 velocities with 165 grain bullets, particularly long shanked bullets like the AccuBond which sits way down in the powder space. I do not think that these velocities are real. I think that they come out of loading manuals and have never been checked.

My personal experience with the .308 is that it more closely resembles the .300 Savage than the .30-06. In fact I had a 722 Remington .300 Savage that shot 165 grain bullets within a half grain of IMR 4064 of being the same load as the .308. I do not presently own a .308 but would like to hear from some actually chronographed 165 gr Nosler Partition or AccuBond bullet loads for the .308 that ever break 2700 fps. Just checking my experience against the .308 velocity myth with heavier bullets?

I was able to get mid to high 2700's with RL15 and the 165 AB in my Ruger Hawkeye 308. It had a 22" barrel. I am also thinking, that mid 2700's wasn't a hard load or overloaded. Your right though Charlie, the 30-06 will blow that outta the water by 100-150FPS without stressing too much.

I was using IMR 4064 versus IMR 4350 but even with Varget against IMR 4350, apples to apples, it is a close to 200 fps difference. Plus the BLR only has a 20 inch barrel. With my 660 Remington, I was only getting 2650 or so with 165 Partition bullets and a 20 inch barrel. Just tying to be real since I got some pretty dramatic drops at 300 yards compared to my .30-06 with Nosler Partitions. Even more with factory ammo!

OT3, not with Nosler bullets but in a Ruger M77 RSI, the best it will do with a max load of W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core is 2550 FPS. That rifle is wierd as that is the only load that will shoot half way decently in it. It took almost two years to find hat load, so I call that rifle a one trick pony. Longest shot I ever took with it was on a Mule Deer at a lasered 250 yards. Most other deer were shot from about 30 feet to a bit over 100 to 150 yards IIRC.
That same load did 2610 FPS from a 22" barreled M70. The load proved to be a bit too hot for use in a 23" barreled custom Mauser I have. So far though, that load has proved to be more than adequate for my use. After I get ddone with my elk hunt in january, maybe I'll see what kind of speed I can get out of the Mauser. Too many projects and not enough time. :(
Paul B.

Paul, that is about what I was getting for velocity in my 22 inch USRAC .308 Featherwieght and my 22 inch barrelled Number One Ruger (S/N: 383). With the Partition 165's, I never could get over about 2600 fps. I tried ball (H380), stick (4064) and surplus (BC-2). I also had a Pre 64 Featherwieght, 22 inch barrel and a Model 660 Remington, 20 inch barrel, .308. None of them would get much over 2600. Now this was a few years ago and the new high density powders were not available. It is not reasonable to think that all of the chambers were tight?

I wonder if the cartridge companies have changed the brass thickness? I finally gave up and sold all of my .308's when I moved to Utah. The .30-06 and .300 H&H were a better cartridges for hunting in the high desert mountains there anyhow.

Back