165gr BT

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Thinking of trying these on WT this fall in my 300WM. Shots would most likely be 100-300yds. Yay or nay?

You would be fine with that bullet launched from your 300 Win Mag.

Personally I would use a 180 BT or AB or heavier up to 200 grains for the 300 Win Mag. A 165 BT will do, but beware of fragmentation at high speeds at close impact shots.

Should be ok. You'll be at or above max BT muzzle Velocity, but should be under 3200 by 100 yes. Unless you over drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with the heavier 180 gr BT, slightly lower impact speed and a heavier jacket will be easier on the venison.

JD338

I had great success (again) with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip last year on elk, mule deer, black bear and pronghorn.

But, from a .30-06 with a 2900 fps mv, not from a .300 mag, pushing 'em 300 fps faster...

They'll work, but may expand very violently. Put 'em in the chest, not on the shoulder, would be my recommendation.

Guy

The 165BT will work but IMO I would either opt for a little more weight, slow them down a little or get a bullet that won't expand quite as violently at 300wm speeds. Just my .02

Guy Miner":1a0ft27d said:
I had great success (again) with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip last year on elk, mule deer, black bear and pronghorn.

But, from a .30-06 with a 2900 fps mv, not from a .300 mag, pushing 'em 300 fps faster...

They'll work, but may expand very violently. Put 'em in the chest, not on the shoulder, would be my recommendation.

Guy

No experience but one of the best WT hunters I knew loaded these over a bunch of 4350 in a 300 Win and never had a whitetail move far, ever. He was a rib shooter but I still never saw any reason it was entirely great for deer. Shooting in the front legs with anything but a 45-70 and hard cast is going to mangle meat, especially if bone is hit solidly.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am a big fan of the BT and might try the 165 and 180 and see which shoots better in my rifle.

Back