168 gr Accubond LR in AR 10?

BilmoStashans

Beginner
Mar 5, 2021
First post, woot woot. I've been working up a load for a Aero Precision 308/7.62x51 with a 18 inch barrel. 1:10 twist. I just can't get these ABLR 168gr bullets to group decent, about 2-3 MOA at 100 yards is the best I can do. I've used varget, IMR 4064, and IMR 4895. I always load to around 2.800 COAL, and use CCI 34 primers, in LC brass. I have a few other powders to try but looking for some suggestions if you have any. I get decent groups (1-1.5 MOA) with LC XM80 and a little better with LC M118 and can ring steel to 1000 yards with both so I figured hand loads would be rock solid in this rifle. Wondering if the 168 ABLRs don't play well in the AR platform, my barrel is too short to take advantage of the bullet, or I just need to keep working up ladders with different powders to find that sweet combo that makes my toes curl. Any thoughts from the brain trust?

Much thanks,
Bilmo.

I have found the ABLR to be temperamental, and my experience with them is similar to yours. After trying them in three different 7MM's I switched to the standard 160's with better results. Someone else will most likely come along and share their experiences with you. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

If it doesn’t shoot them, and you’ve tried a couple powders..... cut your losses and shoot something else.

Honestly, 1-1.5 MOA with a gasser is pretty solid. What optics and mount are you running?

Thanks for the input guys. Songdog, I agree, about to move on but going to try H4895 and CFE 223 first, who knows might find the sweet spot. To answer your questions, I'm using an AeroP scope mount with a Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25X50 FFP, its like a Hubble telescope on that thing.

I posted this in the 6.5 bullet test forum . I thought it might be something for you to look for .

Scotty , the front on these are very soft . if I run my brass through my non-bushing full length die and seat a bullet I get a ring around the copper nose , just below the plastic tip . if I run a expanding mandrel in , then seat the bullet , it's ok . I get this same ring from a compressed powder charge . watch for this , when you give these ABLR's a try again . this could be causing accuracy problems .

Maybe one more thing to try, bonded bullets like extra jump.

Go back to the powder they liked most, and try different seating depths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbires, I noticed the same ring on my 308s so I just picked up the RCBS seater plug from Nosler that's specific to the ABLRs. I'll give that a try and see if things tighten up. If not, the other 200+ bullets are bound for the wby 300 or 30-06. If they don't work well in those rifles, the Garand will be eating premium ammo til they're gone.

I did find the Hornady 3035 stabilizes really well. It’s a 308 bullet aimed at 3030 speeds. Should open good at longer ranges. It’s an old school round nose. So not a high BC bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am shooting 165g Accubonds with cci br large rifle primer and 44g of rl15 getting 3/4 moa. I have a psa pa-10 rebarreled with a 20 inch ballistic advantage barrel. My old 18 inch barrel was printing 3 to 4 inch groups. Get an adjustable gas block and choke it down, if you start pushing velocities, you may damage your lower as the bolt will contact the rear where the buffer screws in, ask me how i know. it takes literally 5 minutes to change the gas block.

Fwood

I’ve only gotten the ABLR’s to shoot good on one rifle. Maybe time to pass on them and pick another one. The best I did with my AR308 was Reloder 15 and gold dot bullets. Hornady interlock was also very good.

I’ve only gotten the ABLR’s to shoot good on one rifle. Maybe time to pass on them and pick another one. The best I did with my AR308 was Reloder 15 and gold dot bullets. Hornady interlock was also very good.
The ABLR seems quite fussy in the loads I've attempted to work up with them. That holds across a rather broad range of platforms and cartridges.

The ABLR seems quite fussy in the loads I've attempted to work up with them. That holds across a rather broad range of platforms and cartridges.
I’m sure there’s a secret to getting them to fly true, and someone will figure it out. I tried everything to get them to shoot, except for loading them backwards . The only time I got them was a 6.5 prc and thanks to the savage magazine they were jumping about .150” I’ve read others report as much as .175” jump to get them to shoot.

I posted this in the 6.5 bullet test forum . I thought it might be something for you to look for .

Scotty , the front on these are very soft . if I run my brass through my non-bushing full length die and seat a bullet I get a ring around the copper nose , just below the plastic tip . if I run a expanding mandrel in , then seat the bullet , it's ok . I get this same ring from a compressed powder charge . watch for this , when you give these ABLR's a try again . this could be causing accuracy problems .
I noticed the same thing on a few of my loads. A VLD seating stem solved this issue for me. A standard stem isn’t kind to the sleek profile of high BC bullets.

Back