168gr. Solid Base HPBT

Yosin

Beginner
Apr 9, 2016
I have alot of experience with the old Solid Base bullets and Ballistic Tips.
I was given a box of .308, 168gn. Solid Base Hollow Points and have little recollection of their characteristics. Any experience with these bullets, particularly if used for hunting or target?

Welcome to the forum!

I don't recall a .30 cal, 168 gr HP from Nosler except for the target bullets - which always shot well for me. Doesn't mean that at some point there wasn't a solid base, hollow point, Nosler hunting bullet... Just that I don't remember one.

Am down to my last two boxes of the old 180 gr Nosler Solid Base bullets. They were good bullets.

If somebody gave me that box of bullets you describe, I'd just shoot 'em up for target practice.

Guy

Thanks.
That was my approach. I too have some old 180gn Solid Base bullets left.
I also had good performance from the 165gn Solid Base on deer but they are long gone.

Agree on the old Solid Base bullets for deer. They worked well. I was... irritated when Nosler replaced the Solid Base with the Ballistic Tip - but it's matured into a great bullet. I no longer yearn for the return of the Solid Base. The B-Tip satisfies all my requirements for a deer bullet anymore.

Regards, Guy

Back