175 Woodleigh PP 3090 FPS 4 Jugs

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Just put these into some fresh water jugs this afternoon from my 7mm Mashburn Super. I clocked this load at 3090 FPS the other day and let me tell ya what, it tore some jugs up. Bonding held up great, and it actually looked like it came out of the back of jug #4 but the wide old front end on it stopped it. Pretty danged neat though.

The expanded frontal area measured .694" at the narrowest and .864" at the widest point.

Retained weight was 127.7 on my scale.

They really expand wide. That is above their recommended impact velocity but still hung together quite well. That should drop any animal hit well quite fast.

Oh, yeah, that'll be a game stopper. Excellent expansion and enough weight retention to do some serious damage.

Gerry, I just noticed that on the box. Oh well, I’d guess in the real world they will Be below 3000 at anything out past 100 yards. I like that expansion though. It seems to really shut things down pretty quick.

Mike, I think if I can get them to shoot they will hunt this year. So far they aren’t looking to bad.

Thank you TD.

c. schutte":ibyytg8z said:
How do they compare with the bitterroots regarding jugs?

The same Chuck. With expanding so wide they won’t go as deep in jugs and Might get caught in the hide on an off Angle shot but I wouldn’t worry cause nothin will live long with that sorta destruction to vital parts.

TD, about 25 yards.

Nice! They remind me of swift a frames, Trophy bonded and Northforks

Sweet! I tested the 160 PP's in my 280 AI a few months ago hoping to find a good load, and got close, but thought it could be better with more work. I just didn't want to blow through the two boxes I have left.

Seeing this Scotty I think that even at a .75 MOA would still make a great hunting round! Nice photo's buddy!

longrangehunter":nxk1d7p0 said:
Sweet! I tested the 160 PP's in my 280 AI a few months ago hoping to find a good load, and got close, but thought it could be better with more work. I just didn't want to blow through the two boxes I have left.

Seeing this Scotty I think that even at a .75 MOA would still make a great hunting round! Nice photo's buddy!

Thank you Kevin. I'd be A-Okay with 3/4" groups that were consistent across the board. I know they aren't match bullets and I am not a match shooter either, so as long as they stay consistent at distance I'd be good with them. Not a horribly shaped bullet either. Looking forward to trying them a little more and then getting them out at longer ranges soon.

SJB358":3mj6u4kn said:
c. schutte":3mj6u4kn said:
How do they compare with the bitterroots regarding jugs?

The same Chuck. With expanding so wide they won’t go as deep in jugs and Might get caught in the hide on an off Angle shot but I wouldn’t worry cause nothin will live long with that sorta destruction to vital parts.

TD, about 25 yards.

You shot those jugs at 25 yards while the bullet was traveling faster than it's design perimeter. It held fine and expanded like a pancake. I believe you got between 2.4-3.0 X diameter with almost point blank range. In the field where you might be shooting 200-300 yards that bullet won't expand quite as much and you would most likely have much better penetration while still achieving over 2X expansion.

Can't wait to see how it performs in the field this coming season!

I don't typically like to do this cause I believe bullets act differently under full RPM's at distance since RPM's slow very little as compared to forward velocity, but I used a reduced charge of H4895 in my Mashburn in order to see what the bullet looks like at 2300 FPS. It was actually 2318 FPS, but close enough for me.

2300 FPS is about the speed at 450 yards. I may try dropping the charge a little sometime to see what it looks like at 2000, but it still expanded to over .500" and drove pretty deep. Recovered this bullet in the 6th jug.

Scotty,

Maybe Mike would know this better then myself, or you do, but I believe you should be careful with reducing the load much more? Funky things can happen, maybe I'm wrong, but I know they can happen with reduced charges on the extreme side so be careful...... a stuck bullet in the barrel would not be cool? Not saying that would happen, just that's already a 25.8 % drop from the previous load vs. 35.5 % going down to 2,000 fps.

Very cool though seeing the outcome, so thanks for sharing your findings.

longrangehunter":2mayf91t said:
Scotty,

Maybe Mike would know this better then myself, or you do, but I believe you should be careful with reducing the load much more? Funky things can happen, maybe I'm wrong, but I know they can happen with reduced charges on the extreme side so be careful...... a stuck bullet in the barrel would not be cool? Not saying that would happen, just that's already a 25.8 % drop from the previous load vs. 35.5 % going down to 2,000 fps.

Very cool though seeing the outcome, so thanks for sharing your findings.

No worries. Totally understand. I used H4895 and sorta used QL with the 7mm Boo Boo (same case capacity) and deduced a roughly 60% load. Glad you put that up there as a warning since I didn’t. Someone could get a nasty surprise reducing RL33 by 1/2.

Good looking bullet which should work well.

I liked the 160 - 175 gr hunting bullets for my old 7mm Rem mag. It was good for about 2900 fps with a 175 gr Nosler, twenty years ago. The 175 Partition worked great on a good size bull elk at about 180 yards.

Your Woodleigh should be a great game bullet!

Guy

longrangehunter":3mxsy603 said:
Resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone tried the 175's in a 280ai. Helping a friend with a 1:10 280 Rem M70 Super Grade who Ackley'ized it. Per stability calculators like JBM, the 175 Woodleigh should work. He had wanted to go up to 168/175 bullets, but the relatively slow twist is a liability.

Also curious about powder candidates....per QL, am looking at both IMR7828 and Magpro. (Have RL26 but am too protective at it!)

Back