180 gr accubonds vs 200 gr accubonds for 300 RUM

garyx

Beginner
Jan 23, 2012
I was going to load 180 gr accubonds for my 300 RUM. You guys gave me a bunch of pet loads but now that I look at the ballistic differences I am leaning towards the 200 gr. Mainly hunting elk and deer. Going to shoot long range. Up to 600 yards. Which do you think is a better choice and does anybody have pet loads for the 200 AccuBond. Is one more accurate in a 300 RUM than the other.

garyx

Welcome to the forum!
Either bullet would work well in your 300 RUM. Work up loads with both bullets and pick the one that works best.
Keep us posted on your load development.

JD338

Think you should be good to go with the 180 or 200 just like Jim said. Currently using the 200 AB in my 300 RUM. The 200 AB seems to work well with 93-95gr of Retumbo with Fed 215 primers and Nosler brass.

I too have a 300RUM that prefers the 200AB. I load Retumbo and use Rem Brass with no problems so far. I have about 20 rounds left of 180 BTs that I use for a fouling shot. I just haven't worked at getting the 180s to shoot. The 200s just shot better and got them driving nails right away (Lucky). I wish they all were that easy.

As far as game at distance, either the 180 grain or the 200 grain AB will serve you well. JD338 and Woodcreek have each given you great advice. They have a bit of experience with this cartridge, and their experience is worth listening to. My loadings for the cartridge have primarily be developing loads for a number of other people, and in the main they chose another bullet. However, a few listened to me and opted for the AccuBond. Consequently, I've worked with either bullet, and the data would indicate that either will deliver the goods. Each of those loads were developed for shooting at distances of up to 1000 yards.

The 200AB is my primary bullet for my 300RUM, however, I do have a load for the 180AB worked up a well. This is the recipe for my 300RUM and the 200AB:
Brass: Remington trimmed to 2.83"
Primer: GM215M
Powder: 95gn of Retumbo
COL: 3.365" (measured tip to base)
Avg FPS: 3137

Load development target:
200AB.jpg

Recovered bullet from spike elk shot at about 150yds:
200ABElk.jpg

200ABElk-1.jpg

200ABElk-2.jpg

My 180AB load is:
Other than the following it's the same as my 200AB load:
98.5gn of Retumbo
Sorry have put this one through the chrono.

180AB recovered bullet from a CA hog at 30 yds:
180AB2.jpg

180AB1.jpg

180AB4.jpg

Either bullet is an excellent choice for the 300RUM, I just prefer the 200AB. Let you rifle decide which it likes better and go with that.

Seems like either one would be excellent. Like the others said, let the rifle decide. The RUM can really hurl those 200's though! Wow!

That 200 AB and 95gr of Retumbo work so well together! That's my load also and I get 3170fps. It will shoot half inch everytime or smaller if I have a good day at the range.

Woodycreek":p7fqa252 said:
That 200 AB and 95gr of Retumbo work so well together! That's my load also and I get 3170fps. It will shoot half inch everytime or smaller if I have a good day at the range.

So once in awhile! :shock:

SJB358":26yoifpr said:
Woodycreek":26yoifpr said:

Thanks buddy :mrgreen:

Woodycreek":h2o495qs said:
SJB358":h2o495qs said:
Woodycreek":h2o495qs said:

Thanks buddy :mrgreen:

Your welcome!

In all seriousness, Retumbo and 200's made me a believer in the big RUM.

Picked up 1lb. of retumbo today from the gun store. It looked like it had a 2007 date code on it. It was their last bottle. It was 21.00 dollars which seemed pretty reasonable. The salesperson behind the counter said there was no demand for retumbo. I thought that was kind of strange! It seems for a 300 rum it is a popular powder.

the .300 that I load for shoots retumbo well and shoots imr 7828 well. In fact, that gun shoot bullets from 165 gr, 180 gr and 200 gr all within a 1/2 inch,,, and with either powder. Best shooting rifle that I have ever dealt with.

garyx":3d5fqush said:
Picked up 1lb. of retumbo today from the gun store. It looked like it had a 2007 date code on it. It was their last bottle. It was 21.00 dollars which seemed pretty reasonable. The salesperson behind the counter said there was no demand for retumbo. I thought that was kind of strange! It seems for a 300 rum it is a popular powder.

You may want to start looking for an 8lb jug. The 1lb isn't going to last very long dumping 95gns at a time.

Id definately go the 200g route when chasing elk. The RUM is a very large case and does better with the 200+ weight bullets, the 180s are for Win Mags and such. A 200g AB at 3200fps with a .588 BC is no slouch at long range, plus it doubles up as being better for close range as well because the bullet is heavier/slower impact velocity, which helps aid in penetration.

Get some H1000 and Retumbo and some 200g ABs, do a bit of testing see what powder your rifle likes and you should get what you want out of it which should be 3100-3200fps while being well under MOA.

I had one for a while before I shot the barrel out, was a 700 LSS and was super accurate for factory rig with 200g ABs and 210g VLDs. Shot a couple spike elk with the 200g AB and it proved to be a deadly combo out to 550 yards which was the furthest one taken.

Oh and don't bother trying to load close to the lands - it won't happen. Your restricted by the magazine length - the most I could get was 3.670" and still feed reliably.

remingtonman_25_06":2zz7p739 said:
Id definately go the 200g route when chasing elk. The RUM is a very large case and does better with the 200+ weight bullets, the 180s are for Win Mags and such. A 200g AB at 3200fps with a .588 BC is no slouch at long range, plus it doubles up as being better for close range as well because the bullet is heavier/slower impact velocity, which helps aid in penetration.

Get some H1000 and Retumbo and some 200g ABs, do a bit of testing see what powder your rifle likes and you should get what you want out of it which should be 3100-3200fps while being well under MOA.

I had one for a while before I shot the barrel out, was a 700 LSS and was super accurate for factory rig with 200g ABs and 210g VLDs. Shot a couple spike elk with the 200g AB and it proved to be a deadly combo out to 550 yards which was the furthest one taken.
How many rounds did you get down the tube before it was toast?

Corey

I was told to start my loads 10,000 of the lands. Is that a problem on a 300 RUM?

I had right around 1200 rounds before groups started opening up considerably, for LR hunting anyways. Probly would have been fine for couple or few more hundred rounds out to 500 or 600 yards but that would have been about it I think.

You'll be restricted to mag length with the 200g AB, its very long bullet.

Back