180 grain AccuBond in the 300 Weatherby

Depends on the rifle. My '06 shoots the 165's of each the same. Same charge/velocity/groups/POI. My .308 with 150's not so much. Completely different.

I can get some AB with a cannelure.. guess they shoot just as well then ones without?

I'm gonna hijack my own thread.

Can aged brass, even after annealed, not move much with a max load and bullets touching lands ? This is LC 69 .30-06 brass. Also virgin Winchester .270 Winchester brass. I didn't anneal the .270 brass. Who knows how long the virgin brass has been around, before I got it.

I'm gonna hijack my own thread.

Can aged brass, even after annealed, not move much with a max load and bullets touching lands ? This is LC 69 .30-06 brass. Also virgin Winchester .270 Winchester brass. I didn't anneal the .270 brass. Who knows how long the virgin brass has been around, before I got it.
Old or new brass won't move much if the chamber is tight.

Old or new brass won't move much if the chamber is tight.
Are newer factory rifles come with tighter chambers ? 2.048 max HS and 2.058 minimum is SAMMI. I get 2.042 after a few attempts. The brass chambers fine, so I'm thinking the chamber is clean. Naturally the blow by on the necks might be fouling the shoulder area ?

I just checked the shoulder in the chamber.. It's shiny. Good to go I suppose.

Last edited:
No idea on new rifles. I stopped trimming my cases to the trim to length. I trim to max length to cut down on the blow by. The outside of my necks have less carbon on them since i started doing it.

No idea on new rifles. I stopped trimming my cases to the trim to length. I trim to max length to cut down on the blow by. The outside of my necks have less carbon on them since i started doing it.
And that minimizes carbon rings also.

I had a stiff bolt extracting, but it chambered with moderate resistance. Not bad.

Like Sako 2 said about a tight chamber.
If its aged, anneal it first and load away.
I did anneal it, but it won't budge past a few though from FL sized.

I'm aware of carbon rings and just dealt with it. I just scrubbed it out recently. If it's there, that would prevent brass from growing. Sound right ?
No it wont prevent brass from growing, but it may pinch the case mouth if you have a thick carbon ring. The carbon ring gets thick and hard enough to squeeze the end of the case mouths and in turn grips the bullet tighter when chambering and possibly contact the bullet as well (if really bad) and cause pressure spikes. It can cause hard bolt closure/ bullets sticking in the freebore on extraction if neck tension is low enough.
You need to know the exact measurement of your chamber and neck length so you can trim your brass longer to prevent this issue. I had forgotten about this when I trimmed off .010" off my 300 Win Mag brass, but I don't have a carbon ring, I keep it pretty much clean. Next time, I'll let it grow and check with a bore scope on how much gap there is between the end of the case mouth and the chamber neck stop when closing the bolt. I can do this from the muzzle end. I use a straw as a sleeve and insert the straw in the muzzle and run the borescope in.

Last edited:
No it wont prevent brass from growing, but it may pinch the case mouth if you have a thick carbon ring. The carbon ring gets thick and hard enough to squeeze the end of the case mouths and in turn grips the bullet tighter when chambering and possibly contact the bullet as well (if really bad) and cause pressure spikes. It can cause hard bolt closure/ bullets sticking in the freebore on extraction if neck tension is low enough.
You need to know the exact measurement of your chamber and neck length so you can trim your brass longer to prevent this issue. I had forgotten about this when I trimmed off .010" off my 300 Win Mag brass, but I don't have a carbon ring, I keep it pretty much clean. Next time, I'll let it grow and check with a bore scope on how much gap there is between the end of the case and the chamber neck stop when closing the bolt. I can do this from the muzzle end. I use a straw as a sleeve and insert the straw in the muzzle and run the borescope in.
I use a split neck case gauge made from a case. No carbon ring.

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 6
Ideally, to eliminate any guessing on your chamber, a cerrosafe cast is cheap and simple, that will give you an exact copy of your chamber.

Back