180gr. Accubonds do well in 300 wsm for elk and muleys

fruhsoutdoors

Beginner
Nov 10, 2004
With some hesitation, this summer I opted to try some reloading with the AccuBond bullets over the partitions for my 300 wsm. I chose the 180gr Accubonds as I would be hunting elk and mule deer in Colorado. In the past years I have taken animals with partitions and was very pleased with the performance I was getting with the bullets. What wanted me to change was the OAL of the cartdridge when loaded to optimum accuracy would cause the bullet tips in the magazine to deform under recoil of the gun. The Accubonds poly tip would not deform under recoil in the magazine. The gun is a Browning A-Bolt.

After working up an accurate load with the Accubonds (1.25" 5 shot groups @ 250 yds), I opted to try them for my hunt this year. Velocity averaged 2960 at 10ft. out from muzzle. 100yd groups were measuring less than 0.65".

I took three animals with the 300 wsm and AccuBond 180gr bullets. One 5x5 muley with a 26" inside spread shot through one lung, heart and out the other side at 450yds. One 4x4 muley with a 19" inside spread shot through the spine (almost missed :) ) at 520yds. One cow elk dressed at 325lbs shot through the front shoulder, through the heart and one lung out the other side at 285yds. None of the bullets were recovered as they all went through the animals, but the performance was as good as what I have experienced with partitions at longer ranges. Looking at the exit holes, the bullets definitely had deep penetration and good retained weight. I am pleased with these AccuBond bullets and will be using them for more big game hunting in the future.

Back