Accubond Penetration

KellerBull

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
I want to begin this post with the statement that I love Accubonds. I have been gradually switching over to them from Partitions; I don’t know why as Partitions are the one bullet that I have NEVER seen fail, but I am human and was smitten by the high BCs of Accubonds and their superior accuracy in a couple of my rifles.

That said, I have experienced a couple of situations where the AccuBond seemed to flatten out excessively to result in a very elongated frontal area that limited penetration a lot. One situation occurred with an aoudad at about 150 yards using a 160 grain AccuBond out of a 7mm Remington Magnum at a muzzle velocity a little over 3,050 fps. The first shot (high lung area) really flattened out but the other two shots (aoudad are tough and I shoot until down!) were pass-throughs. On another occasion, using a .300 Weatherby with a 200 grain AccuBond at also around 3,050 FPS (this is a very light rifle that I would be scared to shoot without a brake), the first shot at about 309 yards on a large mule deer buck just didn’t do as well as I thought it should. Granted, it was an angling shot (quartering away but targeting the lung) that hit some paunch, but based on experience and caliber, I expected a little more, and there was a similar elongated mushroom. The next shot—very similar angle—went through with ease and may still be going.

I have had many more experiences with Accubonds that had superb penetration, including on several bull elk and a grizzly. Maybe I am fixating on a couple of outliers and things happen, but something seemed “a bit off” the way these two bullets really flatted out. (I will try to post some pictures but am allergic to tech.)

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have shot a fair amount of game from antelope to bison with AccuBonds, ranging in calibers from .264 to .375, since they came out, and it is my favourite hunting bullet. Period.
Currently using in 6.5 x 55 (140 gr), 7mm-08 (140 gr), 280 Rem (140 gr), 7MM STW (160 gr), 300 WSM (180 gr), 338 Federal (180 gr), 9.3 x 62 (250 gr), and 376 Steyr (260 gr). Have plans to use in 250AI (110 gr), 257 Roberts (110 gr), 6.5 Creedmoor (130 gr), 6.5 PRC (140 gr), 270 Win (140 gr), 280 Rem (150 gr), 338 Federal (200 gr), 338-06 (225 gr), and 358 Win (225 gr).
Easy to work up loads with.
Accurate in both factory ammunition and handloads, in all calibers and cartridges.
I doubt that I can improve on the accuracy of the Federal Premium ammo with the 160gr AB of 1" groups @ 300 yards, so I have yet to work up a handload!
Performance on game has been great (when I have done my job and accurately placed th bullet in the vitals). On bullets that have been recovered, usually with at least double the original diameter in expansion and 90%+ weight retention, and usually under the hide non the offside. All others have fully penetrated the animal.

I can't say that I experienced the same result as you.
But I would wonder if your bullet encountered heavy bone (either in straight on or a glancing blow from an angle) that may have produced this result for you? Or just thick hide and heavy muscle tissue?

Last edited:
I’ve shot my share of Whitetail Deer with 150 gr. Accubonds out of my 30-06.
They are my favorite bullets and have no reason to switch except that the “Free“ state of new yorkistan is considering a switch to monolithic bullets on all state land.
I’ve only recovered two, and they both were about 65% of original weight.
they were both frontal Shots quartering to.
IMG_0949.jpeg

Morning,

I too have a 7RM with 160 AB loaded to shoot 3050 fps. When I first started shooting AB I had similar worries...and I agree the PT are superior in penetration. However, I have never had an issue with the AB....last animal harvested was a bull elk last year at 550 yards...only took one shot. Have recovered several bullets at distances from 300-900 yards...all performed well. Now, I have also shot some top brand cup and core bullets that have failed...this is why stay with the AB bonded bullets for hunting. In my case, I decided to load up 200 rounds of 160 AB in my 7RM and shoot it with confidence.

The AccuBond is a stout bullet , as with any bullets they have their limits. I shot a doe under 50yds with a 180gr AB with muzzle velocity little over 3500 fps and it did quite the number. I have seen a lot worst from other bullets , as far as leaded bullets ABs rank at the top in my opinion.

I’ve recovered only one that I can think of, an elk I shot at 500 yards out of my 338 Jarrett. IF by elongated you are describing not a classic mushroom but kinda dragged down one side, that’s what mine looked like, but it plowed through both shoulders and stopped in the hide on the far side.
The only rifle I own that does not like them is my 300 HH. I’ve used several different powders and Jumps from .002 to .100. Granted it only shoots 3/4 inch groups with bullets it likes but with the AccuBond the best I’ve gotten is twice that.
This past season I made one of the worst shots I’ve ever made on an elk, 400 yards quarter away. A wiggle somewhere in the equation put the 250 grain AccuBond goin thru the rear leg at the knee, in at the last rib and out through the brisket on the far side.

Last edited:
The AccuBond was my preferred hunting bullet for many years. I've taken many whitetails with the 160AB and nearly all of them passed through. I used the 250AB in a 338RUM to take a few bull moose. One went through both shoulders from a very short distance and was caught in the off-side hide. It still weighed 141gr IIRC. That's quite a torture test for any bullet. All the moose died quickly.

While any bullet will fail to perform, at some point or another, the Accubonds have all shot great and killed quickly for me, so far.

@KellerBull would love to see the pictures if you are able to post them. I've only recovered 35 cal AccuBond's from game and they opened wide (you can see them in the bullet test section here). All were against the hide on the far side from moose and bear. Friend's have also recovered the 260 gr 375 that look very similar. I believe that one of the reasons they kill so well is because of the wide frontal area after expansion. My experience with Partitions has been excellent but have held one from my guiding days that some would have considered a failure. It was a 250 gr 338 that didn't have any lead left anywhere, it expanded and then tumbled losing the rear core as well. Killed the moose well anyway. I like them both but the AccuBond is still my go to for a premium style bullet.

Wasn't it the late Warren Page that said, "At what point during the animal's demise did that bullet fail?"

I've only shot one animal with an AccuBond bullet, a cow elk with the 165 gr. .308" from a 30-06. One shot, the elk did need a finisher but was going nowhere. Bullet did not exit as far as we could tell. Probably buried in the mess that was her left lung. Now an example of one doesn't prove a thing but if asked, "Would I use that bullet again on an elk?" my answer would be yes.
FWIW, my normal rifle for elk is a .35 Whelen. The scope on mine turned toes up the day before the hunt so the 06 was the back up choice.
Paul B.

Chub Eastman gets credit for making that statement as well-

The bullet failed when it came apart, lost its lead-unless they were actually designed to do that. I don’t use partitions for this very reason.

The AccuBond is my favorite nosler bullet and would be in my top three all time favorites. I shoot what bullet works best in a specific rifle and some like other bullets better, but I always try the AccuBond and see what a given rifle will do with it accuracy wise because I have field proven faith in the AccuBond design.

Agreed that any bullet can fail!

I have used the 180 AccuBond out of the 300 Win Mag, roughly 3165 fps, @ under 300 yards on a red stag cow. Was facing me and bullet entered the neck / shoulder junction, and traveled the length of its body and came to rest between two muscle groups on her rear leg, just about an inch or so from exiting. It held up very well with a textbook perfect mushroom. I would use it again and would not hesitate to try the 200 AccuBond on my next nilgai.

I’m no doubt in the minority here (probably the only one) but I’ve never used the AccuBond. I’ve used Partitions and BT’s since the 80’s, with a few E-Tips recently. I don’t have a reason for this, it’s simply how things played out with what I’ve had on hand. I’ll say that E-Tips in 223 Rem and 270 Win are outstanding bullets. I bought 800 150gr E-Tips for my 308’s a couple years ago at a close out and they are shooting really well over CFE223 at 2960 fps. I’ve only recently began loading the 308’s with them so no on game results yet.

Last edited:
I've used 110gn AB's in my 25-06 for 20 years now & taken big red stags & smaller roe deer - never once have I recovered a bullet & only had one big stag run & lost. My error I guess, I'd hit it high lung area.
My friends & I found it weeks later. It had run around 300 yards through thick pine planting & finally collapsed at the edge of trees on the far side.
I've shot very many deer with this rifle & cartridge combination (Approx. 3120fps MV). Some at quite long range 300+yds. The accuracy & impact effect is undeniable. Superb bullet!

Chub Eastman gets credit for making that statement as well-

The bullet failed when it came apart, lost its lead-unless they were actually designed to do that. I don’t use partitions for this very reason.

The AccuBond is my favorite nosler bullet and would be in my top three all time favorites. I shoot what bullet works best in a specific rifle and some like other bullets better, but I always try the AccuBond and see what a given rifle will do with it accuracy wise because I have field proven faith in the AccuBond design.

Agreed that any bullet can fail!
Could you give us an idea of the other favorites?
I'm like you in the sense that “I shoot what bullet works best in a specific rifle”, so I would like to see if we agree on some of your other choices.

160 grr AccuBond, impact velocity 3520 fps, fired into green sugar maple wood, penetration was 13", expanded to .658", retained 64% of its mass. the cartridge on the left is a 7mm mag. center is a 7mm Allen mag.
ZVmR6Jc.jpg

Could you give us an idea of the other favorites?
I'm like you in the sense that “I shoot what bullet works best in a specific rifle”, so I would like to see if we agree on some of your other choices.
I know a bunch of Alaska guides who swear by the Swift A frame, “better than the Partition“ particularly when things are close and personal and you need your bullet to go north to south thru a big bruin.

I know a bunch of Alaska guides who swear by the Swift A frame, “better than the Partition“ particularly when things are close and personal and you need your bullet to go north to south thru a big bruin.
I talked to an African PH who doesn't want PT's used because they have lost their rear core.

JD338

Back