Accubond Penetration

I know a bunch of Alaska guides who swear by the Swift A frame, “bestter than the Partition“ particularly when things are close and personal and you need your bullet to go north to south thru a big bruin.

Only 1 experience with them but based on that they'd be quite a bullet for those kind of applications. I have a partial box left of the 200 grain Lever series for my 348. They claim those bullets expand down to 1200 FPS. I was sending them out at 2510 and I jug tested 1 at a mere 20ft instead of the 20-25 yds that I normally do. It penetrated into the 7th milk jug, expanded to a very uniform mushroom of .615 and still weighed 194.5 grains.

I shot 1 mature doe with it that yr and hit her below center several inches behind the shoulder so no resistance to speak of. She mule kicked, ran 60 yds in a low not getting anywhere run, then stopped briefly and flipped over backwards. Far as I know that bullet is still going. :D

I've used A-Frames in a variety of cartridges. They have always held up even when pushed to higher velocities and asked to penetrate a lot of hide, bone, and tissue. Long before AccuBonds were available, I used the Scirocco in a number of cartridges. Again, a very good bullet, though they are somewhat difficult to obtain here in northern Canada. The AccuBond has always held up well for me, though I admit that I more frequently shoot Partitions than I do AccuBonds. Both work, and one can't ask for much more than that.

That's a new one.
Here is a 250 gr PT from a moose shot with ba 338 RUM. It went through the off side shoulder and was under the hide.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_132818701.jpg
    IMG_20181222_132818701.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20181222_132833399.jpg
    IMG_20181222_132833399.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20181011_110308957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181011_110308957_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I talked to an African PH who doesn't want PT's used because they have lost their rear core.

JD338
Anything mechanically manufactured has the possibility of having a flaw. Anything assembled by human hands to be more exact I think. I would think that the guide or guides are probably drawing on a single experience with regards to rear core separation of a Partition. Maybe two, but not regularly happening. It was most likely on the very toughest and dangerous game where a single occurrence could be fatal. I understand their claim because client safety has to be paramount at all times for a PH. I’ve never seen that happen with a Partition but I haven’t shot them into animals that double as 3-5 ton trucks either. But I do think the occurrence is an exception and not the normal.

260 grain Nosler AccuBond recovered hanging in the off-side hide of a black bear I shot at about 15' with my 375 H&H, mv about 2650 fps. I've shot three bears with 260 grain .375" Accubonds. Only recovered this one. All three very dead bears! :)
Recovered bullet weighed 218 grains and had expanded to .73" diameter.

4Ms9Mh5h.jpg

Haven't shot any other game with the Accubonds, but the accuracy of the 110's from my 25-06 was excellent at just over 3200 fps. :)

Guy

I've shot quite a few Nosler bullets over the years and only two have ever been used on game. I've already mentioned the 165 gr. AccuBond that took a nice cow elk for the freezer.
The other was back in IIRC about 1977 or 78. Due to being short handed at work I only had one day to hunt and only got that by switching shifts with a co-worker and running a double shift later. I woke up the day of the hunt only to find out I'd overslept so was late getting out to where I'd planned on hunting. I'd wanted to set up over a game trail in hopes of getting a shot at a deer returning from the alfalfa field on a near by ranch. I figured I try for a couple of hours, then beat the brush in hope of kicking one out. As I'm driving up the two track I spot this huge buck with spindly antlers running parallel to me so stop, bail out and take the shot. Buck jumps like he's hit in the heart and takes off so I shoot again and he does a 180. I shoot again and clip and antler and he does another 180. Another shot is a miss and my last shot breaks his neck and deer down.

While removing the insides I note that the heart had a groove in the meat but the bullet had not opened it up. The lugs had also been penetrated but it looked like someone had poked the hole with a pencil. It was the neck shot that finished that circus. FWIW, that deer shinned, gutted and the legs cut off at the knees weighed oer 200 pounds. He was the biggest deer I'ver ever shot. His teeth were so worn down I doubt he'd have made it through the coming winter. I was pretty friendly with the local warden and I probably should have asked him to guess the deer's age. The rut was on and his neck was not swollen.

The rifle used was a J. C. Higgins M50 based on an FN Mauser in 30-06. Bullet was a handload using the Nosler 180 gr. Partition with the "protected point" I think it was called. No chronograph back then but the load was max for that rifle. Years later after I moved to Arizona and acquired a chronograph, I ran some of that load over the Chrony and registered a bit over 2600 FPS which is about the same as Winchester 180 gr. power Points do in that rifle.

Near as I can tell, the only bullet that may have even opened up was the one hitting the neck bone. I believe those bullets failed in how they worked even if I was successful in getting that deer. FWIW, not one of the shots take was over 35 to 40 yards. Shunned Partitions for a long time due to that incident. Now I have a bunch of then due to a gun show find where I bought all the bullets the guy had on his table. This was on a Friday before the show opened on Saturday. His table was next to mine and I bought him out.
Paul B.

Once had a friend tell me the Partition I used for the elk I was quartering had failed. He went on to explain a proper bullet would have stopped against the hide and not exited. I told him to be quiet and pull up on that rear leg we have work to do and 1500 feet of vertical to get out by dark.
I think what he meant was that if it had functioned properly, the elk would have run uphill in a helpful direction before expiring. ;)

Some people just need to be right.

Back