1895 Guide Gun 45-70

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I bought Pop's Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 and mounted a Leupold M8 4X Heavy Duplex scope on it. Loaded up some 300 gr Remington JHP with H322 and headed out to the range to get her on paper.

This little gun is even more fun than I anticipated! My 3 rd shot cut the x at 50 yds so I moved to 100 yds.
Moving up to 60.0 gr charges of H322 required a little more sighting but my last 2 rounds were in the X and went .886" c/c. I think I may be on to a decent load. I will load up more rounds and get back out, this time with my Oehler 35 to see what these bullets clock. I am also going to do some load development with some Nosler 300 gr PT's and test them in water jugs for expansion.
1895GuideGun45-70.jpg

My only regret is that I didn't get a 45-70 sooner. Thanks Pop!

JD338

Looks familiar! ...... but I gotta admit . Looks much better with the trees in the background! No trees around here for hours!

Good looking little/big rifle! :grin: I like those big bore Marlins!

I spend so much of my shooting time with relatively high velocity, longer range rifles, that it's a simple pleasure to shoot my muzzle loader and my big bore Marlin. They're very, very different from my "normal" rifles and I thoroughly enjoy shooting and hunting with them.

I think you're going to like that little howitzer! :grin:

Nice. Those 45-70's are a kick in the pants to shoot.

I am gonna need to replace my NEF 45-70 that I sold to my brother. The marlin is what I want next. Little more firepower!!

He wacked a fox with it a week or two ago at about 40 yards and lets just say it did the ol bang flop, lol. The 300g HP left about a 4" exit.

Awsome rifle.
I assume there will be pictures of bear and deer soo with that rifle in it.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Thanks fellas. I really like this little cannon. :lol:
I'm hoping I will pull a bear tag this fall. If I do, I am going to introduce a nice big black bear to a 300 gr PT at about 2100 fps. That should make him "lie like a rug". :lol:
I just might have to take a WT with it too............

JD338

There is something satisfying and fulfilling about toting a rifle that has roots in American history. That is a fine rifle, JD. Undoubtedly, we will soon see evidence that this round is not any less effective in this new era.

Two aspects of the 45-70 that I like:

1. Expansion isn't absolutely necessary.
2. Penetration, or lack there of, isn't an issue.

I have a friend that hunts the timber with a NEF 45-70 and Remington factory ammo. I watched him shoot an exceptional bull elk last year at about 40yds. I saw the impact behind the shoulder, and the whole animal's body just trembled, jiggled, waved, whatever you call it, at impact. All that bull could do is get himself pointed downhill before he fell. It was quite impressive to say the least!

Good deal JD. I acquired an 18.5" guide gun from bullet in 450 marlin and I really love it too. There's something nostalgic with these large caliber lever guns. By the way, mine shoots great also. I can't wait to shoot something with this rifle. :grin:

GB300wm":2k4jz5hs said:
Good deal JD. I acquired an 18.5" guide gun from bullet in 450 marlin and I really love it too. There's something nostalgic with these large caliber lever guns. By the way, mine shoots great also. I can't wait to shoot something with this rifle. :grin:

Congratulations on your 450 Guide Gun. You are right, these big bores are fun. I plan on using this fall for bear and deer.

JD338

Most of the people I've known who have the 450 and the 45-70 in Marlins, report that they shoot better than they should. One thing is certain, a whitetail (or an elk or a moose or a black bear) that is smacked with a bullet launched from one of these rifles knows that it has been shot. There is none of this running around wondering what that loud noise was.

Spot on DrMike. These rifles are way more accurate than one can even imagine. They will shoot with the big boys at 100 yards. I can only imagine at this point shooting game with this rifle. It's pretty substantial as you referred to. :grin:

I usually do not advertise this but ....Here it goes. One of the best groups I ever obtained was from a 45-70 guide gun. A Marlin 1895 18.5" Stainless.

Reloder 7 300 grain Partition at 2100 fps.

3 shots under .1" at 100 yards. I know it is freaky and hard to believe !

A month or so agao I shot my 30-30 marlin with 125 Sierra HP's. Here is a 3 shot group ... The 1 hole...the other 2 are AR-15 holes......

123009.jpg

A month or so agao I shot my 30-30 marlin with 125 Sierra HP's. Here is a 3 shot group ... The 1 hole...the other 2 are AR-15 holes......

Aw, fess' up, POP. You fired one round and the other two were squibs. Since you heard three "bangs," you claimed one hole!

Seriously, it is always fun when that happens, and on some guns it happens with regularity, especially when they are in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. Good shooting.

Back