#2 lead bird shot for home defense

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
In case you're ever attacked in your home by pizza boxes wearing kids coveralls.... this info could safe your life šŸ¤£

Shot from 15 paces, likely about 15 meters, 12 gauge Remington XLR 1 1/4 oz. #2 lead bird shot round...advertised at 1,330 fps on the box, does 1,255 fps from my 18.5 inch Mossberg 590.

The shot went through the coveralls, 5 pizza boxes, plus the box holding the pizza boxes...12 layers of cardboard... not 1 single pellet stayed in the boxes, every one that entered, also exited the back.

The round does have some recoil, but its not terrible.

I think that would do just fine, thanks for posting it up. Currently mine is loaded with what could find a while back, that being Sellier & Bellot 2-3/4" #1 Buckshot. I surely wouldn't want a breast-full of either load!!!

I like #1 buck too, better than 00, I hope Hornady picks up where Federal dropped the ball and adds a #1 load to their 12 gauge VersaTite line.

Federal dropped their #1 load from the Flite Control loads a while back.

I like No. 1 and No. 4, I read a paper a good while back comparing total surface area of all pellets from various sizes of buckshot. I believe No. 1 had the largest (%square inch of 1 pellet x number of pellets in the load) overall area. I could be remembering incorrectly.

I like No. 1 and No. 4, I read a paper a good while back comparing total surface area of all pellets from various sizes of buckshot. I believe No. 1 had the largest (%square inch of 1 pellet x number of pellets in the load) overall area. I could be remembering incorrectly.
I've read that too, cannot remember where, it was years ago that I read it.

It makes perfect sense, they just fit in the shell, and down the barrel, better.

I've shot a number of different loads since getting the 590, and the only thing that patterns better than a buffered load of #1 buckshot is the Flight Control and VersaTite stuff.

2nd best has been the Winchester Rooster XR stuff...buffered load of #5 at 1,300 fps (1.5 oz).... those are 3 inch, expensive, and kick like the devil.

Saw Winchester Defender Close Range copper plated #2 loads in the gun store this weekend. They had them both in 20 and 12 gauge showing 1145fps. May be something new since I hadn't seen them before.

Back