Home defense shotguns

I have a Mossberg 590. When things started to get weird in my old neighborhood, my Dad asked me if I had to choose a defensive gun in 30 seconds, what would it be? In 2 seconds a gave my definite answer, a Mossberg 590. It now has Magpul furniture on it, and a red dot that may or may not actually get installed. I am still %100 percent confident in that decision.

I have a Mossberg 590. When things started to get weird in my old neighborhood, my Dad asked me if I had to choose a defensive gun in 30 seconds, what would it be? In 2 seconds a gave my definite answer, a Mossberg 590. It now has Magpul furniture on it, and a red dot that may or may not actually get installed. I am still %100 percent confident in that decision.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Magpul stock and fore end too, the factory fore end leaves a little to be desired, the stock isn't terrible but the pistol grip is too thin, kinda painful even for me with heavy hitting loads (and my hands are pretty tough)... I'm sticking with the ghost ring and fiber optic sights though... red dots are great, just not what I'm after on this firearm.

I'm not against pistol grip stocks.... they have their place, but the Mossberg version is lacking compared to what is on the Benelli M4, which is much thicker and rubber coated.

I like that M4, ALOT, but I'm too poor for $2000 shotguns, and don't want a semi auto for this anyway...I'm stuck on the idea of a shotgun that will run anything from less lethal rubber to shorty shells to 3 inch magnums without needing to be took apart and "adjusted".

Last edited:
Went and finished up Christmas shopping today, we were at Bass Pro getting some M&P 15-22 magazines for my son when my wife put a Magpul stock and fore end for the 590 in the buggy....with a sweet smile and a firm "not till Christmas".

She saw me looking at them last time we were there..... what a woman!

There's just something about guns (and gun stuff) for Christmas 🙂

Went and finished up Christmas shopping today, we were at Bass Pro getting some M&P 15-22 magazines for my son when my wife put a Magpul stock and fore end for the 590 in the buggy....with a sweet smile and a firm "not till Christmas".

She saw me looking at them last time we were there..... what a woman!

There's just something about guns (and gun stuff) for Christmas 🙂
You married well.

I have a Rem 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum, uses 3 inch shells, but 2 and 3/4 is fine enough for me. Holds 6 double aught buck shot in the tube.
Do you folks rather use buckshot or rifled slugs in your scatterguns for home defense? Just curious about if there is a third party in close proximity within the intruder, where you don't want the 3rd party to get injured where the buckshot will spread out.

I have a Rem 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum, uses 3 inch shells, but 2 and 3/4 is fine enough for me. Holds 6 double aught buck shot in the tube.
Do you folks rather use buckshot or rifled slugs in your scatterguns for home defense? Just curious about if there is a third party in close proximity within the intruder, where you don't want the 3rd party to get injured where the buckshot will spread out.
Myself, I keep it loaded with #1 buckshot... but there are 5 slugs in the side saddle, in case the bad guy takes cover behind the refrigerator or something.

Did quite a bit of training with a shotgun, slugs and buckshot. In training, at room clearing distances, no problem keeping all the buckshot on the bad guy hostage taker target., 99%time. Never had to and certainly never wanted to take that shot. very likely would have used my 45, but in training at room clearing distance it worked-mostly. The wad however was the wild card, damn thing, as I recall, hit the hostage frequently. Facklers studies show some devastating injuries from shot gun wads.
We conducted a lot of studies while converting out department from shotguns to Ar-15. We built, over the course of a year 100 mock up walls. The effort was To represent what might happen with bullets fired from inside and outside a house or apartment. Sheet rock and 2x4 interiour walls, 2x6 sheet rock, insulation, OSB and LP siding For exterior walls. No king studs or headers. Wanted to represent worse case scenario. We never trapped a shotgun slug In the “apartment” but we occasionally stoped a 308.
We also found inconsistent penetration on car doors with AR-15/55 grain ball or soft point. Window down vs up made a big difference or if the bullet hit any hardware in the door. Always fragments and spalling entering the vehicle but it might take several shots to actually hit the target inside the car. We used mannequins. A shotgun slug would go through the door, both dummies and out the other door.
point being, slugs are a great example of a physics question, a body in motion tends to stay in motion and they deserve the utmost caution when applied in a home defense scenario.

Over penetration is always a concern in a home defense situation. Bird shot, regards of size, is lethal at 21 feet yet won't go through several interior walls. The shot column is spreading which would make hitting your target easier. A load of #4 would take off an arm and a hit center mass would stop a threat instantly.
A slug, although devastating up close, can over penetrate and even exit the dwelling becoming a potential risk outside the home.
I chose the Federal Law Enforcement 12 ga 2 3/4" 00 buck 9 pellet load with the Flight Control wad for my cylinder bore shotgun. It's endorsed by my State Police as a proven man stopper. 2 3/4" Magnum load is 12 00 Buck pellets and a 3" Magnum load is 15 pellets. Neither load is needed for home defense and the additional recoil is a detriment to getting back on target quickly.
I do believe it would be one heck of a load to carry in the swamps trailing a wounded deer too.

JD338

My dad killed a black bear in Fairbanks with a load of 6s. To the face and head at very close range. I was 6, still can close my eyes and see the bear go down.

I'm still on the fence on the #2 birdshot...I believe it would be fine... but it does spread a bit from the cylinder bore.

Tried some #4 buckshot yesterday that patterns pretty tight... it was the Federal hunting load...27 pellets, buffered, 1,325 fps advertised...it patterns right there with the #1 buckshot.

If Remington still made the RP12 wad I could come up with a good tight patterning load... but they stopped making that wad... I'm looking at other options from BPI.

Last edited:
Most of my work was with #4 as well. Most of it was done back in 90 or 91. As I recall it was all Federal ammo as they had the State contract. I'm courious how the newer wads are performing? I'm guessing they are sticking with the shot columns.

Last edited:
Most of my work was with #4 as well. Most of it was done back in 90 or 91. As I recall it was all Federal ammo as they had the State contract. I'm courious how the newer wads are performing? I'm guessing they are sticking with the shot columns.

Yes, the Federal Flight Control and Hornady VersaTite wads (I've read they're the same wad) don't open up at the shot cup like traditional wads.... they flare out a little at the rear and decelerate a lot more slowly, keeping the shot in the cup for about 10 yards.

There's a few slow motion videos on you tube that show it in pretty good detail.

The old Remington RP12 wad only had the shot cup slit 1/2 way down the cup... in some loads, this made it pattern much tighter than other wads could do...I had a hunting load using RP12's that would hammer rabbits, squirrels, and turkeys at 60+ yards with #4 birdshot from a full choke....I can't find the exact load info, I have it written down somewhere, that load was given to me by the guy who first started me reloading about 35 years ago (a good friends Dad, passed away just last week)...I think it was 1 1/2 oz of shot and I know it was Blue Dot powder.... kicked a bit, but shot great.

I don't have any more RP12 wads though.

For a long time, I was an advocate of plain old #4 shot for close range work. I can't help but wonder about something like Hornady's 3-inch BB load, though.

EDIT - Huzzah! I could not remember where, but I was sure that somebody made a size T shot for 'yotes and I found it! Hevi-Shot makes it in 3 inch for the incredible bargain of just $9.50/ round!

Last edited:
Finally....

I found some Federal LE 00 buckshot, the low recoil 9 pellet load (LE132) Flite Control at a price I could stomach.

I wanted this for my wife... had to get it by the case to get the reasonable price, I got 2.

Shouldn't need any more though, she practices with my reloads.

I am quite sure I won't be able to open the safe in time.
But if!
I won't grab one of the pistols or revolvers.
Or any of the rifles.
I would put some buckshot in any of the shotguns. Not 00 in my case. Something around 6 mm. But I am quite sure this would end any discussions

Found some shells to try...Remington Express XLR, 1.25 ounces of #2 lead shot (108 pellets), at an advertised 1,330 fps... it is a 2.75 inch shell, not even a magnum 2.75", but close (3.75 dram eq.)

Gonna rig up a test with some old hunting clothes....see if this stuff will do its thing through heavy clothes.

Will post results, probably Monday afternoon.... would that be OK in bullet tests, or better in here?

They have door breaching loads just for door hinges . The Cooper plated Fed Turkey loads are excellent for home protection No smaller than 4 shot or the coyote loads with BB.
My home defense guns are hidden in each room of the house from Hanguns to Shotgun to M4 carbine ………..for me rule of thumb you use your handgun to get to your long gun.

Back