200 gr Accubond vs Elk

woods

Handloader
Jun 11, 2009
A friend recently went hunting on a guided Elk hunt close to Craig Colorado (wish it had been me :roll: ). He only has a 270 and while I told him that was adequate he wanted to borrow one of my guns so I let him use my loaner - a Steyr 30-06 shooting a 200 gr AccuBond in front of a stiff load of RL17 at 2725 fps. He got his shot at 135 yards and rolled one up. The bullet went in behind the shoulder, hit a rib and wound up backwards with the shank showing through the hide. DRT

Pics
200grAccubond001.jpg

200grAccubond005.jpg

200grAccubond002.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

Can't fault that performance

Can not complain too loudly about a bullet when you pull it out of a dead elk. How far did the elk go after it was hit?

Picture perfect!
Congratulations to your buddy on a nice bull elk.

JD338

Have to love such pictures, especially the one of the bullet protruding on the opposing side.

That is one awesome elk and great load you made for your 30-06! Excellent penetration for the AccuBond and through and through on an elk is not an easy deal! The AccuBond is racking up the hunts/kills this year! Scotty

congrats on the elk. Those ABs you can't beat them for the price :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Well done, Nice elk great pictures, I need to figure out how to post the pictures they add so much to the conversation. That is a very serious load for the 30-06 you did very well. The old lady (30-06) still gets it done with the best of them. Advancements in components only make her that much better.

I have always been amazed about what bullets do once they get into the body of an animal. On an elk that off side hide must be very tough because that is where I find a lot of bullets.

The hide is elastic and balloons away from the body and then springs back. If you could get a slow motion shot of it, that would be interesting.

Normally I prefer an exit which the 200 gr AccuBond usually does, but DRT is good too.

IMO there are 2 Accubonds that are in a class by themselves with accuracy and terminal performance: 200 gr 30 cal and 160 gr 7mm cal

You have to sort them for bearing length though

Another obvious case of bullet failure - bullets should exit facing forward! :roll: Congrats to your buddy.

I was thinking the same thing! Bullets are supposed to face forward!!! Just kidding, bullets do weird stuff when they start slowing down.

It seems like with some of todays powders, guys are getting the same speed out of 200's than we were getting out of 180's awhile back. Scotty

That's why I shoot Partitions, they come out with the little pointy end first. Nice bull and great pictures.

Nice Bull and great performance from what I consider the finest all around hunting bullet ever made. The Partition doesn't have a pointy end left when a RUM is used, the front lead all smears off and it looks kind of like a semi-wadcutter, But it works good at lower velocities, IMO.
Pop, wherever he was hunting you should hunt there :wink:
Greg

Back