2006-07 Hunting pics

I'm new here, but a buddy that goes by the handle beretz said I should join as this is a great forum to be on. So I figured I'd start by posting a pic of my best bull to date. Hope its appropriate to bring up such an old topic.

IMG1853_013.jpg

Shot with Nosler products. 150 Gr. Partition to be exact!

Wapiti Slayer,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you joining us. From your handle, I'll assume that you perform the mystical feat of inviting elk to join you for dinner--and with a .270 yet! You know, don't you, that .277 bullets bounce off elk nowadays. You have to use something much, much bigger to really kill elk. Consequently, we won't hold it against you that you know Scotty. All in good fun. Good to have you aboard. Good looking elk. Where were you hunting? Give us an account if you have time.

Wapiti -
Welcome...I like the dark antlers on the elk! You need to be careful calling Scotty a buddy on this forum though. :mrgreen:

257 Ackley":119hjcv1 said:
Wapiti -
Welcome...I like the dark antlers on the elk! You need to be careful calling Scotty a buddy on this forum though. :mrgreen:

Man, tough crowd today! HA!

Kelly, great to have you on board and that is an awesome elk!

Be careful with the Dr Mike character running around, he is the root of alot of Remington men moving to the dark side (Winchesters).. Just kidding. Best bunch of fellers around on here. Scotty

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the Dr., but thus far he's already gave me a chuckle and that makes me feel real welcome here.

For sure you will want to watch him; he is a shifty character. It seems apparent that you were hunting one of the western states, and from dress and condition of the ground I'll surmise that it wasn't too late in the year. We are all addicted to stories of hunts. Give us the lowdown on this hunt.

DrMike":3eesdrdd said:
For sure you will want to watch him; he is a shifty character. It seems apparent that you were hunting one of the western states, and from dress and condition of the ground I'll surmise that it wasn't too late in the year. We are all addicted to stories of hunts. Give us the lowdown on this hunt.
Lol. Somehow I doubt that.

Details. Well, I'll start by giving a little background. Born and raised in Colorado. This fall will be my 23 year chasing elk and other big game in the CO high country. Leading up to the 2007 hunting season we had been hunting the late season (3rd rifle season typically in Nov.) in this Unit outside of Gunnison, CO. My dad found this spot long before I could hunt and they did really well on migration type hunts seeing as how we were literally hunting on the wintering grounds. Slowly over time the word got out and we saw more people than animals. Shot lots of deer and a few elk, but it wasn't the same. Now that I'm older my dad decided to hand off the reins to hunt planning and such and I really dove into it. Was bound and determined to find a better place to hunt and eventually I did and we didn't have to move Units to do so. From all the research I did, stats, biologists, game wardens, other hunters, I finally settled on summer ground during the 1 st rifle season here in CO. This season generally lands a guy an opportunity to hunt elk during the rut. Spent some time snooping around in Sept. with my wife on a anniversary trip and got to know the area some.

All things being equal, I figured the first year hunting this spot would be more of a learning experience than anything else. Takes time to work over elk country and find the good spots. Little did we know what was in store this year. While gently poking around the day before season we were driving out of a main access point and my dad spotted an elk making its way towards timber. It was a bull and he was a long way out, but it said there were elk in the area. That night we thought we'd start in this area in the morning having seen the bull that afternoon.

The area where he was taken is a 10 mile long ridge that runs east to west. One major drawback is that right on the spine of this ridge is private property that extends down the north side of the ridge. It didn't make sense at first, but this is actually a valuable thing. Now that the stage is set we'll get to the somewhat short hunt. Opening morning found us parked 3/4 of a mile from where we saw the bull the day before. Our plan was to start hiking up onto the ridge just at first light. Not knowing the area and the things it holds we thought this was best. Just to the south of this ridge is a major creek system that is fairly easily accessible. No more had the sun broke the eastern skyline and all heck broke loose down along the creek system. Shots came from all kinds of places down there and it was obvious somebody found the elk. At that point I wasn't sure about continuing the hike up onto the ridge. I was at a point where I was on the edge of the timber but could see a huge swath of sage brush between pockets of timber heading down to the creek. Figured it wouldn't hurt to hang tight and keep an eye out for elk getting as far away from the hunters on the creek as they could. They made good time considering the distance and not long after the shots fired down lower a group of about 10 cows came beating cheeks out of the pocket below me and angled hard to my left heading right up the ridge we had targeted. Another couple hunters further down the ridge quite a ways ended up taking a couple cows out of the bunch. No sooner had I looked back from that direction my eyes landed where the cows had come out. Just outside the timber stood not one, but 4 bulls. All were facing me straight on and none knew I was there. Yardage was right around 200. 3 bulls were the size of mine posted above, and one dwarfed all three. Guessing at least the 370" range. I immediately sat down and started to glass. I did not like the shot angle at all I could do was sit tight and wait for it to change. Pulled the rifle up ready to flip the safety if I got a shot. After what seemed like hours, my bull made a huge mistake and started the slow trot/walk on the same line the cows took, but angling closer to me. Safety off, and when his gait slowed I let him have it twice just past 220 yards out. Both excellent hits and he traveled about 60 yards total, and ended up breathing his last in an dried up creek bed. Both 150 Nosler Partitions passed through and took out his off side leg on the way out.

I wasn't sure where the other 3 bulls went, but once I got my dad and cousin together we pieced together the headed west. At one point my dad and cousin were within 80 yards of them and all of the bulls were bugling like mad. There was just enough terrain in the way that they never got a look at them. The closest we could get the truck was only a half mile away from my bull, but several ridges were in the way. 6 1/2 hours later we got the last load to the truck. My dad and cousin never did connect that year. However, in 08 I took a 5x5 off the same ridge the last day of the season. In 09 I spent opening morning in a screaming match with 5 different bulls and last year we had a brief glimpse of a bull we hunted for 3 days after a blizzard pushed him out of the extreme high country. He'll go 380" plus......... Drew an either sex tag for this Unit again this year so we'll see what happens!

If you guys don't mind, I can post some pics of our hunting camps the last several years.

Good account of a great hunt. Post the pics. You won't get complaints from anyone here.

Imagine my surprise, Kelly, when I drop into this old thread and see a familiar face!

Dr. Mike isn't the only one you have to watch out for - I'm always lurking around and converting people to the true dark side - 'bees!

Seriously, great to see you here! Hope you are well and the job situation is keeping an even keel for you. Welcome!

Post away Kelly! Your Co pictures are excellent and the guys will dig them all. That is a great account of the hunt and a truely great story of a hunter waiting for the right shot and then capitalizing on it! That is awesome. Don't hear enough of that.

As for the Weatherby likers, well, every forum has one! Just kidding Dubyam!

Anyhow, great to have you on board, I imagine you will be in a M70 soon enough. Scotty

Man, that was pretty cool, I just spent a bunch of time looking through the 06-07 pictures. I didn't join the forum till later, but here is one of the animals I took in 07. I had just returned from Afghanistan and my uncle and I hunted by ourselves up in the Frank Church in ID. It was kind of a rough year for elk hunting as there were tons of fires and ash/smoke settled on us by about 0830 everyday. The next ridge over, some other hunters did pretty well, taking 3 decent bulls, but they weren't on our side of the mountain. Anyhow, I got lucky on this one. We were hiking up to another point and happened to spot this bear at about 60 yards coming through a burn. Well, the Whelen was put into action immediately. Bear was facing steeply towards me and the 225gr TSX went from the front right leg all the way through to rear left. I looked and looked for an exit or the bullet but couldn't find it while skinning it. Finally after the buzzards picked the bones, I dropped back by there and found my bullet. It was perfect, other than missing one petal. Those were running about 2750 or so out of the Whelen. Pretty darned accurate too. I had a chance to shoot a small muley, but I passed. I wished I would have taken him now, as I like the meat, but what the heck, that is why they call it hunting.

Not a big bear, but beggers can't be choosers! Scotty

IdahoBear.jpg

Recovered Barnes 225gr TSX.

DSC_0023.jpg

Wapiti Slayer .270

Welcome to the forum!
That is a dandy bull, congratulations.

JD338

Thanks one and all. That was a special hunt for me and one I'll always remember.

Dub,

Long time no see and yes it is pretty crazy to run across you here!!

Scotty,

Awesome photo, story, and bear. You've shared some of those with me before and I always enjoy those conversations.

Kelly, just because I don't imagine you got to see it, I'll point you to my buck from this year, as well. You know the hardships of the past few years around my house, and this buck was a major confirmation that normalcy is returning! I know you can relate. Plus, I just wanted to show it off again!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12402&start=120

Back