2010 Hunting Pictures

Those older clearcuts are an elk magnet, and provide great forage for them. I filled my second tag a few days later with this guys twin, however it was well past dark when I got to him. He was at the edge of a cutting not near the edge like this guy!!

You are correct about the older clearcuts. They have always held elk for me. What I see in your picture is not dissimilar to what we hunt farther north and in my AO.

Elkman":exwnaepr said:
Those older clearcuts are an elk magnet, and provide great forage for them. I filled my second tag a few days later with this guys twin, however it was well past dark when I got to him. He was at the edge of a cutting not near the edge like this guy!!

Man, hopefully we can find a few of them this year Bill...

I am always thinking we are going to find elk. I know we will find elk. Just have to find the right one in the right place.

Elkman":140nch8j said:
I am always thinking we are going to find elk. I know we will find elk. Just have to find the right one in the right place.

And with the correct headgear!

A 425 yard shot on a Wy 'lope quartered to to me. Shot with "Little Roy" my 257 with 100 grain TTSX. The ranch owner convinced me to shoot at him. He told me, "Everybody misses there first one. You might as well get it over with."

Attachments

• IMG_3831.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7,596
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7,596
Great looking speed goat. I take it the land owner was somewhat surprised.

Yes he was. I really didn't want to take the shot even though I practice out to 450 yards 5-6 days a year especially right before hunting season. There was a good 10 mph crosswind. I placed the cross hair just under his chin. After the shot the 'lope just stood there for what seemed a long time. The owner said take another shot as I was putting another shell in the chamber when the 'lope just fell over. The owner said, "Damn boy you can shoot!"

I had something similar happen with a mule deer some years back. The buck wasn't alarmed; he was tending a hot doe. I had a steady rest and had ranged him at 320 yards. It was the first time I'd shot at game with a new 300WSM. I pulled the trigger, and the buck just looked at me. He took five steps, laid down and stretched his neck out--that was it. Animals can sure react in funny ways.

Little late getting to the Nosler Forum dance but...

First day of the hunt, deathly sick, we find this buck and we are standing in ankle high grass as he runs out a draw chasing a doe. At first glance it looked "small", I could see the rack wasnt outside the ears 21" and the rack looked small in comparison to the deer. Well we got some glass on him and suddenly all that sickness goes away. Run around a hill to get up wind of him, 240 yard heart shot later I get to have my picture taken with a 242 3/8" Non-Typical 11x13 Mule Deer. Before its quartered out I find one shed and my spotter found the other shed not 30 yards from where he dropped. 3rd Mule Deer I have ever shot (Doe, Fork Horn), so hopefully this year I can go after one of those 4x4 type mule deer :mrgreen: 24 points, but he is an 1/8" here and there from being a 30 pointer.

Attachments

• 11X13 & 8X11.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7,548
  • P1010219.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 7,548
  • P1010217.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7,548
  • P1010211.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7,548
  • P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7,548
That is an incredible deer! I had seen pics that Scott sent me before, but it is nice to hear the story about the sheds. Screw the typical 4X4's out there...I like the non-typical ones with mass :mrgreen: .

I hunted Indiana for the 1st time in '10. You'd think a fella that owned 50 something big game rifles would have one that was legal in Indiana, but I didn't and borrowed a Buddy's .44mag carbine. Worked out all right as we smacked two decent bucks on morning #2. Jason (on left) shot a nice 8 pnt (M/L) and I whacked a big-bodied 11 point within about 45 mins of each otherView attachment Jason & Ed after a good morning hunt.jpg. My shot was about 75 yds and full penetration from 240grJFN load. I sure would like to go back and hunt that area again. Lots of sign and lots of deer.

Those are a couple of fine looking deer. Nothing so good as a borrowed rifle to take game. :grin:

Back