2011 British Columbia hunt

tom_marlin

Beginner
Oct 19, 2011
I just got back from British Columbia with stone Mountain Safaris and took a black bear at 220yards, a moose at 450 yards, and a stone sheep at 340yards. my rifle is a Nosler 48 with 200 grain partitions.

Attachments

• 2011 BC Trip 060.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 965
  • 2011 BC Trip 030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 965
Very awesome hunt! When you have a chance please tell us the story. Those are some incredible animals! Scotty

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you had a great hunt. Was this horseback? Congratulations. I was just up in Toad River and passed the Lodge. They have quite an extensive operation and a great territory.

Welcome to the forum. Pictures are great thank you for sharing with us. A short narrative would be great.

tom_marlin

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Congratulations on one heck of a hunt! Great pictures of some beautiful animals.

JD338

Welcome Tom and those are indeed some awesome specimens. You took care of many folks lifetime hunts all in one fell swoop. :grin:

Thanks guys. I have been watching this forum and never posted for some time now. I have been a couple of other hunts before but this was certainly the biggest. FYI, I am 40 and work for a construction co. i save money every year and try to go on a trip every 4 or 5 years. This trip was a horseback hunt and booked through John Andre at SWATS for a 40% discount which included moose, black bear, and wolf. I added mountain goat and elk on a trophy fee basis. One week before my hunt the outfitter called and said he had a stone sheep tag available for the tropghy fee only(8k). My draw dropped, a no brainer right? Where am I getting another 8k. I have a house, wife, and 18 month old at home. so I dropped he goat and elk(I already had one) came up with the extra. A dream hunt it was. we saw tons of moose incl. a 65incher in camp. My second day while moose hunting we came across the bear(sorry I don't have the picturesyet) that had almost an 18" skull. The second day we shot the moose. Then, after a 2 hour stalk I shot the sheep on the last hour of the last day of the hunt. For a guy like me it was an incredible experience and I recommend this outfitter to anyone looking for this type of hunt. One thing I didn't see was shock-n-Awe on the faces of the guides when I got back to the lodge. You see, my experience is expected not the exception with this outfitter. with out a consultant i wouldn't have been in the right place at the right time. Thanks guys.

Tom, that sounds like one awesome hunt. Man, hunt of a lifetime, without a doubt! You are certainly doing it the right way. What a hunt. Those are going to be some real nice mounts when they are done. Great shooting and glad you posted. That is what this is all about. Scotty

I don't believe your hunt was exceptional for northern BC. It was a successful hunt, and somewhat typical of the northern part of the province. Did you see any wolves? They are fairly common in that area.

I had a tag for a wolf but didn't see any. I did here them outside our cabin and supposedly are in good numbers. its my understanding they are difficult to see during the day and hard to get a shot at. Thae outfitter does trap lines in the office season and often takes out 30 wolves a year. i did see moose with some smaller calves so there must at a good ratio.

You won't see a lot of wolves in the day, and when you do see them, they won't come near to you. I did see a lot of cows and calves farther north this fall. This is a great report. Thanks for posting.

Congratulations on a great trip. That looks like way too much fun! Sure sounds like you enjoyed yourself and that's what is important.
David

tom_marlin":jtg51gcl said:
I had a tag for a wolf but didn't see any. I did here them outside our cabin and supposedly are in good numbers. its my understanding they are difficult to see during the day and hard to get a shot at. Thae outfitter does trap lines in the office season and often takes out 30 wolves a year. i did see moose with some smaller calves so there must at a good ratio.

I would rather take a few wolves than a raghorn elk! I have had them close in the past, but never legally able to take one... They are on my list and I will hunt ID next year, just so I can try. Scotty

Congrats on some nice animals, what was the age on your sheep? Looks like a nice ram, your moose looks good too.

Back